• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

i felt a well-used medium wizard the other day and it was the most fabulous thing ever. it's exactly what i'm looking for, felt exactly like my amazing organic wiz. stiff, yet tacky. like that candy, tangy taffy. weird analogy, but that's all i got.

i want them made again.

i felt a well-used medium wizard the other day and it was the most fabulous thing ever. it's exactly what i'm looking for, felt exactly like my amazing organic wiz. stiff, yet tacky. like that candy, tangy taffy. weird analogy, but that's all i got.

i want them made again.

They are amazing after a year or two and perfect after four or five. My current one was soft enough to pass the flex test after about six months too...at least it was softer than the "legal" ER-25s they ran shortly after this whole debacle happened.

I always found that DX Classic Aviars (when they were actually firm) season similarly.

They are amazing after a year or two and perfect after four or five. DX Classic Aviars (when they were actually firm) season similarly.

i'm hoping that my stiff organics work out to be similar. they don't have a firmness written on the back but they are hella stiff. don't feel like they have as much flex as that medium, though. guess it'll be a 4 year adventure. though i am using them for driving, maybe i should start seasoning one by using it in putting practice.

i feel like i'm getting engaged or something. such a committment. it's weird.

Last edited:
I haven't bought a Wizard since the G9i's were out, but I have a firm green OG from long ago with a small recycle stamp. It isn't quite as firm as the G9i's. I don't know what yours is, but hopefully it won't take that long to start showing its true colors. :thmbup:

As always, if you have a Gateway disc that you really like, give a phone call over to the Gateway shop and they can usually help you find more just like it.

Anyone have info on gateway removing "pdga" from the "pdga approved" tooling?

The last 12 or so wizards I've gotten from the factory are like this.

Yeah, I asked about it when I ordered 5 soft wizards from them a few months ago. They replied:

All the wizards are PDGA approved, its the flex that has been in question before. The PDGA never actually told us the Medium flex Wizards are illegal. Since the flex varies a bit we took PDGA off the engraving just incase. The Soft Wizards are well inside the specifics for the flex.

I wonder if he's getting tired of answering that question.

Cut/Paste.

I've got a mystery Wiz that I got for Secret Santa...no flex rating on the back, but it feels like the other Med I have. Pink/orange w/ speckles in the plastic. Not sure what it is...and afraid to throw it. Do the ER-25's all have a marking? It's purty...that much I know.

My ER-25s are marked ER-25. I think some runs were marked ER25 as well. They're a little less slick and the pink eraser color, but I think some purples and possibly other Eraser-based colors were run. None of mine have sparkles, but I only bought from the first batch he released.

As weird as it is to say, mine were actually grippier in the cold than when I first got them. It was a nice surprise since I benched my G9i when temps dropped below freezing.

I have a pair of Blue that are Marked ER-25. They were very slick when I got them but after 9 months they are very, very nice.

Since the flex varies a bit we took PDGA off the engraving just incase. The Soft Wizards are well inside the specifics for the flex.
None of my Wizards say PDGA on the back. I have 3 Soft Wizards and an RFF all marked "____ Approved." The 2 more recent ones are from DGCenter and the other 2 are from a local shop.

Is this normal? lol

hey wow. that's kinda weird.

i have 7 identical pink soft wizards and none of them say "pdga approved" either. just "approved".

i want more info on this.

on a sidenote, my softs were grippier when i first got them. now that they've seen lots of basket time, they are smooth even after a soap scrub. kinda lame.

All 50-60 of mine are PDGA Approved, but I haven't bought a Wizard since the G9i re-release that started all this mess.

Make sure you bring a calibrated and certified scale and calipers. Otherwise you'll have no way to prove that the disc is overweight for the diameter. Anyone questioning the flexibility of a disc has to make sure to bring a calibrated and certified apparatus to test the discs to the PDGA specification or else they can't actually prove that a disc is illegal or not. Any TD that's willing to enforce these rules has to bring all that stuff themselves, too or else they have no way to prove that anyone is breaking the rules.

These tests have to be done by the PDGA before the discs get to the hands of the customers if these standards and rules are going to mean anything. At tournament time it's nearly impossible to enforce these rules and anyone claiming they're going to do so is just trying to gain an advantage via bad sportsmanship. It's just too difficult to prove that any of these rules are being broken, especially since the weight and flexibility of a disc will change over time.

What they'd have to do is require that all "runs" of discs are given a serial number so that they can be tracked. If a given run is found to be illegal then that run would have to be recalled and all players would get refunds for those discs. I know the PDGA will say that this is not a feasible solution, but
that's the corner they've painted themselves into with their own rules. Either you make rules that are enforceable and actually enforce them or you don't get taken seriously as a governing body and/or sport in general.

This is how the rest of the manufacturing world works. Sounds like the PDGA is ran like the gov't...:wall: