• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrell shoe opinions

DrewM

Bogey Member
I finally killed my Merrells. After about 2.5 years of playing the inside on both shoes is finally too worn down and the bottom of one shoe blew out.

2.5 years is pretty damn good in my opinion for the amount that I golf.. I went to EMS the other day to check out some new shoes for playing and was told that Merrells are terrible shoes, and fall apart quickly.

I only know my personal experience, but does anyone know if they manufacturing has changed in the last year or two, or what the deal is?

i've seen varying results within Merrell brand. I've had a pair of trail shoes for a while that are still in good shape but my friend bought a pair two months ago and we hiked in Arkansas for a week and they were already showing serious signs of wear.

I'd look in to Oboz or Patagnoia's... The next pair of trail shoes I get I'll probably look in to the Patagonias, I've heard good things.

I have a pair of Moabs that I've beat the shit out of and they've held up well. Along those same lines, however, Apothecary posted that he's gone through two or three of the same type of shoe in a very short period of time because they fell apart. Unfortunately, these two extremes seem to be norm for Merrell and whether you get a solid pair or a flimsy pair is really a crap shoot.

I have a pair of their Keen knockoff sandals and a pair of the high top Chameleons. I got the sandals a couple of years ago and they have held up very well. I go into water to get discs wearing either pair. I got the Chameleons last fall and they have had less use. I got them for cold weather and have even played in the snow (unusual in SC). The sandals are starting to show wear on the sole but I still use them. My foot is shaped almost exactly like the Keen shoe but I've had bad luck with them. also the insole hits my foot in a weird place. Merrells accommodate my wide foot very well and they are supremely comfortable. but like everything else today both Keen and Merrell are made in China and things can be hit or miss quality wise.

All of my Merrell's (Mainly Moabs and one pair of chameleons) have held up unbelievably well. I usually get 1 1/2 to 2 years of wear or more out of each pair and I wear them constantly for dg and hiking. I usually wear the inside of them out first and put new insoles in them and they keep on going. Every pair that I've had has still had use left in them when I've donated them. I hope this trend continues for me.....

I agree, I've never personally had a problem with Merrell's so it sucks seeing so many people saying the newer shit isn't holding up.

I bought a pair of merrels about 2 years ago, they lasted about 2 months before the sole separated from the rest of the shoe, I didn't think to return them for a refund or replacement. I just don't think that these shoes are made to stand up to the torque that is involved in the disc golf throw. By that I mean the rotation of the front foot. I don't think any shoe is really built to handle this so I have opted to buy cheap shoes and use waterproof socks.

trail running shoes are built to handle these types of forces, the problem is that most of them don't actually stand up to the test of time.

ive returned two pairs of moabs con gore-tex. both left my feet wet most morning rounds and came apart where the body met the sole.

great for dry rounds though.

Merrell has been the best disc golf shoe I have found yet. I'm going on Season two, and I also use these to go hiking the Monument, the North Fruita Desert and Grand Mesa. Just over two years old and still going strong. The vibram soles are insane durable too.

Apothecary said:
ive returned two pairs of moabs con gore-tex. both left my feet wet most morning rounds and came apart where the body met the sole.

Ya, moisture was the only complaint I had with my non gortex Moabs. I swear more moisture got on my feet than was outside the shoe hah. They were pretty awful as keeping mositure out, but absolutely great when dry. I have purchased a pair of Gortex ones for 5$ more than the non gortex ones before they jacked the price up $30 a week later. Merrills are the only shoes that fit my feet, so hopefully the Gortex ones will be as good as the nons but keeping my feet dry!

weedjj said:
Apothecary said:

Ya, moisture was the only complaint I had with my non gortex Moabs. I swear more moisture got on my feet than was outside the shoe hah. They were pretty awful as keeping mositure out, but absolutely great when dry. I have purchased a pair of Gortex ones for 5$ more than the non gortex ones before they jacked the price up $30 a week later. Merrills are the only shoes that fit my feet, so hopefully the Gortex ones will be as good as the nons but keeping my feet dry!

Just remember Goretex will also keep water in, so if water gets inside your shoe, the water proofing goes both ways.

I just got a pair of Merrel last weekend, have worn them maybe 6 times. The toe has already started peeling away from the body. I havn't even done anything physical in these. Walked around, absolutely no more than barely a slow pace walk. Once I find a picture I'll throw a link to the ones I have.
I'm dissapointed, grip is nice, as well as the comfort of the shoe. But, this dissapointed me with everyone saying they were so great.

Fritz said:
weedjj said:
Apothecary said:

Just remember Goretex will also keep water in, so if water gets inside your shoe, the water proofing goes both ways.

my moabs with goretex were really bad. almost like they put the goretex in backwards. they let all sorts of water in and none of it out.

Lith it sucks to be you. shouldve read my review before you pulled the trigger. :lol:

I'm going to check and see if the store I got them from will do anything about it. You can tell there is no obvious wear on the shoes. It's pretty ridiculous though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004IO660W/ref=aw_d_iv_shoes?is=l
I have these, except in Black.

I forgot if I posted about this here or not. I had Chameleon Stretch 3's that I thought were the perfect dry weather DG shoe but 6 months later they were coming apart in ways I know they shouldn't. I contacted customer service and they had me mail them back, and less than 2 weeks later (They said allow 4 weeks for processing) I got a brand new pair of black chameleon 4's in the mail. That says a hell of a lot to me about the company. Gonna go try out the 4's today (Never knew a 4th revision existed) and see how they feel.

I had a pair of chameleons but the lack of anything close to a tongue made them not comfortable on my fee. I think they would have lasted forever though. I ended up just giving a 100+ dollar pair of shoes to a friend. blah.

I've gone through both the stretch 2 & 3 chamelleons. The 2's were far superior for durability, I got about 2 years of dg out of them. The 3's are another story... Picked up the pair this spring and after a couple of months the stitching inside behind the heel pulled apart & the padding came out along with the sole separating about 2/3 up towards the toe. Both versions were super comfortable, though a bit heavy.

How are the intercepts holding up for you rusch? Probably going that route soon.

pd

Latest posts