• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Oh, and as of today hole one is still a bit of a disaster. A large tree that was partially down has been taken out by the city boys and clean up is still in progress.

Wohoo!!!

HAHAHA I'm typing the first review!!!!

If you go to the course please understand - IT'S NOT QUITE DONE YET. Navigation the first time you play is going to be a royal pain. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED so NO complaining about it. Once the foot bridge goes in and the signs are finished it will be much better and will make a lot more sense.

I sent an e-mail to John Short (Director of Parks and Rec. for Plainfield Township) regarding the status of the course at Grand Isle Park in Belmont. Will update with details as they're provided.

I sent an e-mail to John Short (Director of Parks and Rec. for Plainfield Township) regarding the status of the course at Grand Isle Park in Belmont. Will update with details as they're provided.

let me know I would be willing to help setting stuff up and such.

Grand Isle Park Update

I've been talking with John Short, Director of Parks and Rec. Below is a summary of what I've gathered so far:

1. The township is in the final stages of implementing the expansion of the wetlands. They hope to have development complete 2013. Timing depends on spring flooding. The less flooding the sooner it starts and finishes. As soon as complete, they'll start on disc golf. Hope to be playing fall 2013. They will need assistance in development and fund raising for materials. The township turned down his request of $15,000 for materials. The disc golf will weave in and around the wetlands.

2. The course will be 18 holes. Metal baskets, cement teepads, teesigns, trashcans and benches are all in the plans. There is a preliminary design, but things may change as the wetlands develop.

3. Because the township turned down the request to fully fund the course, a large amount of fund raising will need to be completed. I asked if the township would be okay with allowing reputable companies in the area to sponsor holes in exchange for their logo or name on the sign and John believes this would be acceptable.

4. The following is from John: "This needs to be a controlled community project, or it will not happen as timely. We need to create work committees to accomplish the tasks. The committees need to be controlled as they will be representing the Township." It sounds like there will be committees formed for the following areas: design and layout,construction,community outreach/funding/ADA compliance/universal access,operational policy. The responsibilities of the commitees may also stretch outside of the disc golf course planning, I have yet to find out.

The next step I'm going to try to take is to meet with John in person and walk the land where the course is to be located.

Does anyone have any questions they would like me to forward to John? Fundrasing ideas would also be helpful, and I already have a few ideas in mind. I'll post more information as it becomes available.

Set for an explosion in the U.P.

Approved...
Powder Mill DGC - Marquette - 18 holes (in construction, opening May 2013)
Pioneer Trails, North Course - Escanaba - 18 holes (in construction, opening May 2013)
Pioneer Trails, South Course - Escanaba - 18 holes (in design, opening May 2013)
Memorial Course - Republic - 18 holes (in design, opening summer 2013)

Pending...
Homestead Greens DGC - Harvey - 18 holes

We will be hosting a travelling series of PDGA events next year. "Disc da UP Series", come play in our vacationland paradise!

Wow, great thread Mitten. I have played McSauba when previously open. It was brutal ski hill course and should fit in great with some of the surrounding courses "up north" (Hanson Hills, Carly's Playground, Boyne....). You know, I had heard that the local sheriff or some such authority had lived right on the course and had effectively shut down the course for his disapproval of "disc golf types" and some of the unwanted activity he associated with his view. Know anything about this?

Kimbell Pines was terrific before closing, a reopening of it would be stellar news.

Set for an explosion in the U.P.

Approved...
Powder Mill DGC - Marquette - 18 holes (in construction, opening May 2013)
Pioneer Trails, North Course - Escanaba - 18 holes (in construction, opening May 2013)
Pioneer Trails, South Course - Escanaba - 18 holes (in design, opening May 2013)
Memorial Course - Republic - 18 holes (in design, opening summer 2013)

Pending...
Homestead Greens DGC - Harvey - 18 holes

We will be hosting a travelling series of PDGA events next year. "Disc da UP Series", come play in our vacationland paradise!

Holy crap, dude! First off, congrats. Second, this couldn't work out any better for me. I'm in Escanaba in August for a wedding. Looks like I might have to extend my trip in order to get to these new courses. If they're even in the same ballpark as Winter and Tailings, you're well on your way to creating a Northwoods empire! Thanks for your dedication and hard work. I'm thrilled that someone is making use of god's country for disc golf.

{UPDATE}

-----2011 Courses-----
--The Edge DGC-- Scottville {24 Holes}
--Big Bend-- White Cloud {18 Holes}
--Burchfield Park-Original-- Holt {18 Holes}
--Carly's Playground-- Traverse City {18 Holes} [Mt. Holiday Redesign]
--Diggins Hill-- Cadillac {18 Holes}
--Hanson Hills (Short Course)-- Grayling {18 Holes}
--Marion Twp Park-- Howell {18 Holes}
--Ogemaw Hills-- West Branch {18 Holes}
--Superior Pines-- Grand Marais {18 Holes}
--Taymouth Park-- Burt {18 Holes}
--Turbine Pines-- Mackinaw City {18 Holes}
--Heritage Park-- Grandville {9 Holes}
--Lake Linden-Hubbell DGC-- Lake Linden {9 Holes}
--Lakewood High School-- Lake Odessa {9 Holes}
--MCTI DGC-- Plainwell {9 Holes}
--Rosewood Park DGC-- Jenison {9 Holes}

-----2012 Courses-----
--Stony Creek Metro Park-- Shelby Township {27 Holes} [Redesign]
--Labyrinth-- Scottville {24 Holes}
--Bertha Brock County Park-- Ionia {18 Holes}
--Burchfield Park-Rivers Edge-- Holt {18 Holes}
--Duke Creek-- Cedar Springs {18 Holes}
--Earl Brewer-North-- Grand Rapids {18 Holes} [Redesign]
--Earl Brewer-South-- Grand Rapids {18 Holes} [Redesign]
--East China Township Park-- Marine City {18 Holes}
--Henderson Lake Nature Center-- Montague {18 Holes}
--Sunnybrook-- Sterling Heights {18 Holes}
--Herman Park-- Suttons Bay {18 Holes}
--Vicksburg Rec. Area-- Vicksburg {18 Holes}
--Wickes Woods-- Saginaw {18 Holes}
--Brighton Rec. Area-- Howell {15 Holes}
--Beverly Park-- Beverly Hills {9 Holes}
--Caro Fairgrounds DGC-- Caro {9 Holes}
--Cass City Park-- Cass City {9 Holes}
--Dexter Lake Church-- Battle Creek {9 Holes}
--Flaherty Park-- Watervliet {9 Holes}
--Freeport Park-- Freeport {9 Holes}
--Ira Township Park-- Fair Haven {9 Holes}
--NorthRidge Church-- Plymouth {9 Holes}
--Shelby Road Baptist Church DGC-- Shelby {9 Holes}
--Silver Creek - Chocolay Park-- Harvey {9 Holes} [Redesign]

-----PENDING COURSES-------
--Mt. McSauba-- Charlevoix {19 Holes}
--Wolcott Mill Metropark-- Ray {18-27 Holes}
--Pioneer Trails-- Gladstone {18-24 Holes}
--Belle Isle DGC-- Detroit {18 Holes}
--Deerfield Park [2nd course]-- Mt. Pleasant {18 Holes}
--Grand Isle-- Belmont {18 Holes}
--Homestead Greens DGC-- Harvey {18 holes}
--James Nelson Park-- Sterling Heights {18 Holes}
--Leila Arboretum DGC-- Battle Creek {18 Holes}
--Memorial Course-- Republic {18 holes}
--Pioneer Trails, North Course-- Escanaba {18 holes}
--Pioneer Trails, South Course-- Escanaba {18 holes}
--Powder Mill DGC-- Marquette {18 Holes}
--Rotary Park-- Livonia {18 Holes}
--West Park-- Whitmore Lake {18 Holes}
--Baker's Field Park-- Port Huron {9-18 Holes}
--BC State Rec Area-- Bay City {9-18 Holes}
--Clear Lake State Park-- Atlanta {9-18 Holes}
--Columbus Park-- Columbus {9-18 Holes}
--Independence Green DGC-- Farmington Hills {9-18 Holes}
--Macatawa Greenspace DGC-- Holland {9-18 Holes}
--Ramona Park-- Portage {9-18 Holes}
--Rosevear Park-- Owosso {9-18 Holes}

-----{If anyone has additional info that should be added to the list, please let me know.}-----

Edit: Got Pioneer Trails on there as two separate listings. The one's that say, North & South with 18 a piece are correct. Will be fixed on next update.

Any of these courses near Port Huron area?

Any of these courses near Port Huron area?

Out of the ones built this year. East China Park in Marine City would be the closest. A bit south. A couple of the pending courses are kinda close aswell. But for the most part Port Huron has no disc golf scene what so ever.

Any new word about the belle isle course?
The reception seemed to be pretty positive about it at the tournament this year.

From what I know, its gonna depend on if the state buys the island from the city or not (likely to be decided in the next year). If the city keeps it, its good to go. But if the state buys it then new people will be in charge and it will probably fall back to square 1.

Any new word about the belle isle course?
The reception seemed to be pretty positive about it at the tournament this year.

From what I know, its gonna depend on if the state buys the island from the city or not (likely to be decided in the next year). If the city keeps it, its good to go. But if the state buys it then new people will be in charge and it will probably fall back to square 1.

Looks like the state is gonna take it over. Good news though is the course is playable right now! With flags marking tees and wooden poles in as the holes. The course has been modified since the tourney. A few holes were changed for the better. League's will be ran on sundays at noon starting January 6th. It's looking like if enough people are seen using the course, the state will invest in baskets and development.

Here's the course page for Belle Isle.

Looks like the state is gonna take it over. Good news though is the course is playable right now! With flags marking tees and wooden poles in as the holes. The course has been modified since the tourney. A few holes were changed for the better. League's will be ran on sundays at noon starting January 6th. It's looking like if enough people are seen using the course, the state will invest in baskets and development.

Here's the course page for Belle Isle.

I thought the course was already great during the tournament and looking at the new distances/layout, according to up in the air, the multiple pads and everything else will make this course even better.

>>--Leila Arboretum DGC-- Battle Creek {18 Holes}<<

Wow! That's where people played object Frisbee Golf long before there were basket courses around...

>>--Ramona Park-- Portage {9-18 Holes}<<

Say it's so! ANOTHER new course 15 minutes from me? Did I warp to the year 2525 or something?

Latest posts