• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Flaherty Park in Watervliet now has a bridge nearly finished to connect the first six with the last three. Pics to come soon.

Update on Farmington Hills Independence Green course:

(Possible course on beautiful, closed ball-golf property on apartment building land, Grand River and Halsted.)

I hadn't heard anything back since I proposed the course in the fall last year, so I called today to see if they were still interested.

I got a message that some upper management had changed and that they would call me in 3 weeks after they heard back.. This is awesome because I assumed the project was dead since I hadn't been contacted in like 6 months..

One idea I have with the project, that might help solidify a course if necessary, would be corporate sponsorship with naming rights.

For example: "Frisbee! Frisbee! Little Caesars Disc Golf Park"

(There's already a Soccer! Soccer! not too far from there..)

More updates to follow..

For example: "Frisbee! Frisbee! Little Caesars Disc Golf Park"

(There's already a Soccer! Soccer! not too far from there..)
Bummer "frisbee" is a registered trademark of Wham-O :/ Sounds awesome though. Keep us informed!

^Continued from Farmington Hills IGDGC conversation..

We may not need corporate sponsorship if the property managers like the idea of a course enough and don't mind paying for it, and / or want to keep complete control over naming the course. Plus, Independence Green is already a good name and fits the course perfectly.

..BUT.. For speculation, here are some of my favorite Michigan companies that would be good candidates for sponsorship, and also sound good for a course name.

Random notes:
1. I understand that some might not like the idea of corporate naming... It does get a little corporate-y, but a corporate sounding course is better than no course.. What do you think?
2. I like the one-and-done complete course name package, rather than sponsor-a-hole style. It seems quicker, easier, powerful.
3. A recognized company name gives the park, or course, some name recognition, like Comerica Park, or Ford Field.
4. I don't think it would be that hard of a sell to get any of the companies mentioned or others to donate half or all of the cost of a course.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michigan_companies

(All would be variations of ***** Park / Disc Golf Course / Hills etc.)

Biggby Park / Biggby Hills
DTE Park
Domino's Park
ePrize Park
Faygo Park
Hungry Howie's DGC
Ilitch Park
Meijer Park
Moosejaw DGC
Olympia Park
Visteon Park

The course is right on busy Grand River and I envision some sort of "Faygo Disc Golf Course" sign, even if it's one of those plain brown MDOT signs with an arrow. (Awesome PR and advertisement) The course itself would have a nice course sign as well at hole 1.

Thoughts? Favorites? Suggestions? Dumb idea?

Last edited:
^^ Not only that, but can you imagine if you get robbed with your disc golf bag and cell phone, not to mention how much $$$ you have in discs. I can only imagine the activity that takes place at these "projects". Not saying that I don't think the whole concept idea is cool, but just not at that location.

Why would they want to steal the discs? There a black market for them? Maybe a very cool story of a kid finding his way due to seeing a disc fly across an open field. The next prodigy of the sport...

da U.P. update, 'eh...

Powder Mill DGC, 18, Marquette - scheduled opening June 2013
Pioneer Trail DG Park, 24+3, Escanaba, - scheduled opening June 2013
Silver Creek DGC, 18, Harvey - redesign and expansion, scheduled opening October 2013
Al Quaal Teal Lake Trail DGC, 18, Ishpeming - begin design fall 2013, construction spring 2014
Al Quaal Olympic Trail DGC, 18, Ishpeming - begin design fall 2013, construction spring 2014

Other news...
Memorial DGC, 18, Republic - approved but not being directly coordinated and developed by UPDGA
Tailings DGC, 18, Iron River - technically closed due to a sinkhole from old mine shaft, play at your own risk, future uncertain
Ultimate Goals - pushing for 3-4 more 18 hole courses in Marquette County and a bid to host WORLDS!

Leila Arboretum is in and playable. I have posted a map and a picture, updated some of the hole info and about to write a review..
this course is a BEAST to be sure!!

Leila Arboretum is in and playable. I have posted a map and a picture, updated some of the hole info and about to write a review..
this course is a BEAST to be sure!!

Awesome, thanks for the update! May have to swing over here on Saturday and check out the new course. Was planning another trip to Hudson Mills, but adding another new course to my count is always fun. Thanks! :thmbup:

be sure to print the map. nav is a nightmare with out it... I also added numbers to the flags to try to help...
review is done!

Kensington Toboggan 2013

As of Wednesday, May 22nd, the Toboggan Disc Golf Course located within the Kensington Metro Park will be open for casual play and tournament practice rounds.
Also, please note that the course will be closed for play on May 30 – June 2 and June 6 – 9 for the two events. The course will be taken down very shortly after the USADGC.

Hit it while it's open, but please be kind to this beautiful course (even if it's not kind to you) :D

click for details

As of Wednesday, May 22nd, the Toboggan Disc Golf Course located within the Kensington Metro Park will be open for casual play and tournament practice rounds.
Also, please note that the course will be closed for play on May 30 – June 2 and June 6 – 9 for the two events. The course will be taken down very shortly after the USADGC.

Hit it while it's open, but please be kind to this beautiful course (even if it's not kind to you) :D

click for details

WHY AM I GOING TO BE IN OHIO FOR THIS!?!?!?!?!?!

da U.P. update, 'eh...

Ultimate Goals - pushing for 3-4 more 18 hole courses in Marquette County and a bid to host WORLDS!

Holy crap dude. You guys are kicking a$$ and taking names up there. Keep up the great work, hope to be able to take a road trip sometime soon and play all of these soon to be great courses. Couldn't have much better terrain for disc golf than the UP!

I was thinkin about trying to get one or two more here in my own county.... S,E Michigan.... At least one at the state park... and another maybe nike park.. munsion park.. or somone who has a big enough location.... far as state park... i dont know who to contact

the park manager of the state park in question. I was trying to do that here but couldn't find any area that wasn't overrun with mountain bike paths to fit the holes into with out hitting the bikers or the horses who ride through the area.

Latest posts