• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Mid-range with flight of a gator, feel of a harp

Audible Vibration

Birdie Member
Title covers it pretty well, but I'm looking for something with the overstability and lack of glide that a gator has, but is flat topped and feels like a harp in hand (essentially, looking for a longer harp). I've read mortars are flat top, but looks like they're sold out everywhere. Is that right? Not required, but I'm interested in brands I don't currently bag (innova, trilogy, discmania, gateway).

What would you recommend?

Buzzz OS except it does not lack glide, mortar is the beadless gator mold.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I know the Bard was described as a longer harp, but ive used it and its not really that OS. My personal answer would be Buzzz OS, but I know its not the feel exactly what youre looking for. I do think the Mortar is closer to the Harp feel, its not as 'mid' ish as the BuzzzOS but same idea. That's likely what you'd want. Otherwise a Zone isn't a bad option, similar feel, OS and its faster than most discs like that a Zone can be used like a Mid easily.

I'd say Mortar or Zone - im sure more OS mids are out there that fit your description

Well, Gators and Harps are both beaded. Zones and Mortars are not.

There are lots of flat topped Gators out there. Which will fly very close to a Gator. RocX3 is a little faster and not quite as OS, but same vein.

What is it about the Gator that you don't like vs. the Harp? Is it the bead? If so, you need a Mortar. You can find them they are all over the place. Honestly though, there's really not that big of a distance gap between the Harp and a Felon and you can range a Felon however you like if you are going full Ricky.

You might consider a Justice of you are looking for a mid-range utility meathook. A Justice will be more OS than both a Harp and a Gator though.

If you can deal with a slightly less OS but also slightly longer Harp like disc, try a Fuzion or Bio Suspect. Look for flat to puddle topped. This would actually fit what you describe but be less beefy than a Gator.

If none of those work, stick with a Gator its only one of the best discs ever made.

Flat top Gator flies like a Gator, but it's flat. Just sayin'.

I'm not opposed to that. But I just found another post where someone said they came across gators labeled as flat top, but they were not. I'll likely have to order online, so I was hoping to find something that is guaranteed to be flat.

I think the DGA Quake might be what you are looking for, not quite as deep as a Harp, but same general flat top look. The one I have is a touch more overstable than same weight Gators I have thrown in the past.

4 of my 5 Glo Gators are flat top. I'm sure you could call Innova and ask if they can hook you up with a few.

Justice is slightly sharper, but it's the best disc in that category IMO.

I carry Harps and the is the next step up from them for me.

Buzzz OS. Justice is closer to a Harp in feel (bead and rim depth only .1cm off), but you'd be able to get the Buzzz OS out farther then a Justice. It's beadless though and .2 cm shallower than a harp.

Latest posts