• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange....want something new.

I feel your pain.. after two shoulder surgerys I will never throw a baseball again... I have two disc that really perform well for me a star Stingray that weighs 163 and a disccraft Stratus that weighs 171... For the most part I can drive as far and with more accuracy than with my high speed disc... I have a star Roadrunner 165, that I will use if its windy... I have thrown disc for years working with my dogs, when I started DG I had max weight stuff I learned real quick that weighting down and throwing mids was what works best for me... my younger friends drive for show but in the end I out approach them and putt for the dough..... I do want to try a comet myself have heard nothing but good for them...

I'd go with a Gateway E Element. If you are smooth, you can put it out to 250' with not much power. It is the understable mid I use when I'm stuck tight against something and I can only get a small flick out.

Fuse and Core are great discs, you can work a lot of lines with these two discs. The glide is amazing.

The GL Pain has served me well for OS duties. And I can really power it up.

People seem to love the comet. I like the ching oracle. It's very wierd but seems to work perfectly with me, give it a shot in the cheapest plastic, that's what I got.

I'd keep the axis, then get something slightly more stable and something definitively understable.

You can keep the stingray in or grab something a bit more stable like a fuse, maybe even use both. Then for something a bit more stable I say go cmd2.

I do have the putters worked out. I was using nothing but 2 SE Rhynos and a Champ Rhyno for longer stuff. My one SE is so floppy, its like throwing a tortilla.:) I love it. It took a hard hit a few weeks ago and I started getting protective of it since it can't be replaced. Last week, I went to Disc Nation and got a few different putters to try and see what I like. I am sticking with the Omega SS 1.26...got 3 of 'em inbound. I am using a DX Aviar A&P and a R-Pro Aviar for longish putts and approaches. I also am using a Wizard SSS with good results for long shots. Long approaches can also be handled by y Discraft Soft APX. That sucker is great up around 200' for me. I'm sure with more time, I can stretch it out more. The Ions were one I didn't pickup for some reason. No idea why.

I'm getting good suggestions here....thanks guys. The Oracle did not do well for me for some reason. Most of the guys I play with have them. I tried it and just wasn't impressed. I thought the rim was a tad shallow, like the Stingray is. Not sure...maybe I should throw it again to be sure. The guys I play with sure do well with them.

Being old school, you might like a star Stingray. The big time glide and the durability of star plastic make it one of my favorite discs.

Dunno. The Stingray and I had the love/hate deal going. Maybe it was too heavy or something. Mine is a 177g and my wife had a 150g...I was the same with either. Some days it was good...some not so much. I do like the Star plastic...maybe that would help...not sure.

If you like Star plastic you should try a Mako.There pretty much a point and shoot type of disc, they are crazy straight with really good glide.Not good in the wind however.

Consider a River, it's not really a midrange but it has a similar grip and feel, it will also go straight with the kind of power you mentioned, particularly in GoldLine plastic. The Opto is supposeded to be more overstable. I'm and old school guy and this is my favorite fairly new release.

i always suggest this and im going to stick to this its my favorite disc in my bag and i would recommend it to any one a 2008 ace race nebula its a stable mid that i can get 300 easy

md2: also buzz like
Apart from the domey C-Lines, it's more HSS and less LSS than a Buzzz, meaning straighter. The domey C-Lines have more fade due to slowing down faster.

Anyway, get an MD2, it's always worth a try for anyone. Even Ken Climo is throwing them nowadays. Try to get a flat C-Line if possible, those are the nicest.
md1: less stable md2
I don't know if Discmania has done something to the MD1, but every single one of them I've had as been more stable than any of my many MD2's. HSS is about the same but more LSS. It's more Roc-like, slower, less glidey and more OAT sensitive than the MD2.

I'd keep the axis, then get something slightly more stable and something definitively understable.

You can keep the stingray in or grab something a bit more stable like a fuse, maybe even use both. Then for something a bit more stable I say go cmd2.

I like this. :thmbup: C-MD2 to replace the Buzzz as a better wind fighter, Axis and Fuse for a low power, cripple friendly understable complement. Get a slightly light one for right away understable goodness.

The Comet is a great mid for low power and finesse throws but it would tend to overlap a lot with the Axis unless it's an X Comet, that might be different enough to be worthwhile. Vector, Sentinel MF, and Pain all might be worth looking into for dealing with wind but at the end of the day it's just easier to whip out an overstable driver like a Banshee to deal with gusty conditions.

I would say definitely keep the Axis. Its really versatile, and one of the straightest discs I have thrown. To compliment it, I also suggest a fuse. The Comet would overlap it a tad and the Fuse is simply an awesome disc for turnover shots that the axis can't handle as easily. Then a stable mid like Hornet, Pain (I had zero luck with this), or what I am using is teh Vector which is the same company as the Axis, so would be easier for you to adjust to. VEctor, Axis, Fuse is an terrfic combo!

Apart from the domey C-Lines, it's more HSS and less LSS than a Buzzz, meaning straighter. The domey C-Lines have more fade due to slowing down faster.

Anyway, get an MD2, it's always worth a try for anyone. Even Ken Climo is throwing them nowadays. Try to get a flat C-Line if possible, those are the nicest.I don't know if Discmania has done something to the MD1, but every single one of them I've had as been more stable than any of my many MD2's. HSS is about the same but more LSS. It's more Roc-like, slower, less glidey and more OAT sensitive than the MD2.

I'm still evaluating my MD2s (1 C 1 P) but I think they are going to live in the bag for some time. To me at my distance, both of them being new, they seem like a KC Roc in HSS but with the fade of an X Buzzz and do not feel as foreign in the hand as a Roc. It's also as long as my Fuse but my Fuse is more of my touch disc.(I throw the Fuse further than my other mids, it just does it with glide rather than a full steam drive)

Still want to see what it is like as it breaks in to see what stages of wear might do but right now, it really seems like they took the Roc vs Buzzz debate and made a hybrid super disc or something. There is definitely not enough love for this disc going around for what it is.

FYI...to everyone. The AURORA MS is a Shark/Stingray combo...very tasty. For you Shark lovers, this might be something extra to check out...same for you Stingray fans.

Lots of choices for you. Most if not all have already been said. I'm old (58) & injured (dislocated throwing hand thumb, torn rotator cuff in my throwing arm and a partially ruptured achilles tendon), so I know the challenges you face.

Meteor would be my first recommendation. But the Comet, & Glide aren't bad either. I've also had some great success with a Coyote & Panther too.

Latest posts