• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Reliable Discs

Mad Scientist

Eagle Member
I've already inquired as to the most versatile discs here. Now I'd like to hear about the most reliable discs out there. These are discs that might not be the most versatile, but you can count on them to do the same thing every time. Discs that might be one-trick ponies, but can be a "go-to" disc for a certian shot.

The ones you practice with. (what the hell happened to the winking smiley?)

veganray said:
Z Xtreme, Champion Whippet-x, Champion Viper. Super overstable = super-reliable (using your definition).
I agree -- Meathooks are the best for consistency.

For the sake of listing something that isn't even stable, DX Sidewinder. It does what it does, consistently.

Yeah, how about some more discs that are consistant, but aren't just overstable?

Buzzz for low straight shots.
Sidewinder for turnovers.
What about the TeeBird? Good for some straight distance with predictable fade.

fun game...

my entries are the Core, Comet... and a Rattler, sans wind I guess. Or maybe with wind? I've never thrown one.

and the ones that are recommended that aren't stupid overstable require good form to be considered reliable.

A paper plate.

It might not be effective or useful but it is reliable. And unless there is wind it won't go very far, either.

Short of anything that is very overstable or very understable, reliability is mostly dependent on the skill of the thrower.

The Zone is insanely predictable. It barely flies. It's like throwing a stone.

As for more versatile discs: TEEBIRD. I've never thrown a more predictable driver.

Fizzy said:

As for more versatile discs: TEEBIRD. I've never thrown a more predictable driver.
What Zones have you been throwing? It is indeed reliable, but when driving at least the ESP flies very well, not like a stone at all.

jubuttib said:
Fizzy said:

What Zones have you been throwing? It is indeed reliable, but when driving at least the ESP flies very well, not like a stone at all.

What I mean is, it generates very little lift. Most putters generate less lift than most mid-ranges and drivers, but the Zone lifts less than most putters. As a side-effect, it doesn't even become nose angle-sensitive into strong head-winds (which makes it incredibly predictable.)

I've thrown a first run (stiff is a board) D-Zone since it first came out. I own an ESP Zone and for a while a new D Zone. And now that I think about it, you're right: the ESP and new D both "fly" more than than the first run. I like the first run better though.

Latest posts