• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

Just had to bump this thread and give a shout out to my stable Amps. Meaning, the ones with less shoulder and higher PLH (see earlier photo of the lite blue one.) These things are $$$. Ab. So. Loot. Laserbeams. Threatening to really shift some things around in the bag as I'm really realizing what they can do now that I'm focusing on them more.

Different animal from the actual US ones, have one of those too. Once you know what to look for, you can pick one from the other out without having one of each to compare. They're that different.

Can you take some pictures and share?

I've got two amps. One (red 172) is slightly overstable and the brand new one (light blue 169) is really overstable.

They look the same to me and the red is a looooooooooooooooot more beat in then the new blue one.

FYI, I love the amp. If you don't count first run Volt, the Amp is my favorite driver.

Wow

Just found the pink one at the shop. Just saying, get the Amp you're looking for.

Here they are. Seems like a pretty significant tweak happened with the Amp at some point. I like both of them, honestly. The lower PLH flippy one is kind of fighting with the P Inertia for that slot.

I don't have a side-by-side with the lite blue one and a Volt handy, but they're pretty close at a glance, but not exactly the same.

Loving my amp. After a year its getting to be more of an expected -2, 1 flight rather than the -1, 2 it started as.
Where my volt started 0, 3 and is now what I expected at -.5, 2

I lost my 1st run Volt and AMP with in weeks of each other last spring. Replaced them with newer runs. My new Amp flies like a 1st run Volt with less turn. It's one of the straightest line holding discs I have thrown.

It's stil in the 9+ condition range bc I wanted to throw the inertia this summer and winter, so I can't wait to see how this seasons up

Update. The 'stable' Amp I've had in the bag and throw a lot is starting to show some more turn as it gets some seaoning on it. Nothing crazy, mind you. Honestly, it's kind of reminding me of the Crave's stability right now.

Update. The 'stable' Amp I've had in the bag and throw a lot is starting to show some more turn as it gets some seaoning on it. Nothing crazy, mind you. Honestly, it's kind of reminding me of the Crave's stability right now.

Saw a few pages back you were looking for MVP, if you're in the Charlotte area and don't mind a road trip to Wilmington you can hit Cape Fear Games, who has a huge MVP stock, and also play Castle Hayne while you're in town.

Saw a few pages back you were looking for MVP, if you're in the Charlotte area and don't mind a road trip to Wilmington you can hit Cape Fear Games, who has a huge MVP stock, and also play Castle Hayne while you're in town.

Yeah I'm kind of ashamed that I haven't played Castle Hayne yet. It's on the list.

Yeah I'm kind of ashamed that I haven't played Castle Hayne yet. It's on the list.

It's a fantastic course. I don't get down there often enough, either. There are a couple other courses near it as well, and you also have Cape Fear games which has a really nice variety of discs and an average PIAS in town as well.

Bump.

So are all Amps now the stable kind? If so why?

Personally I don't know for sure. I'd guess, probably. Looks to me at least like that whole class (Volt/Amp/Shock) got muscled up. But I'm not sure, that hot pink flippy one I have I got off the shelf at a local shop only a few months ago.

I've got two stable ones, and the one with some wear on it is turning into my favorite driver, possibly of all time.

I love my Amps. They took me longer to figure out than the Volt and Shock, but now I have 2 Amps in the bag with one Volt and one Shock. I've thrown Amps anywhere from -3 to -1.5 in HSS, so stability in the ones on the shelves can be variable.

I don't think they have done any tweaking on the Amp in particular, though I'm curious to see ones start coming out without flash. When they fixed the Shock it wasn't just a molding trick, they actually got some more sensitive equipment. So it will affect the Amp/Volt somehow as well (hopefully allowing MVP to get them exactly as intended and keep them consistent), but I don't think we will see these on the shelves for a bit.

^from 2013

flat top like with the shock/volt I think gives you the "new" run. The issue was how all of those discs had some variance in the flights-- the process to make the discs is now superior to that when the orginal 9 speed class was released. They also have the smallest overmolds and only are available in max weight.

Plasma volts, DUH!!!

Last edited:
Personally I don't know for sure. I'd guess, probably. Looks to me at least like that whole class (Volt/Amp/Shock) got muscled up. But I'm not sure, that hot pink flippy one I have I got off the shelf at a local shop only a few months ago.

I've got two stable ones, and the one with some wear on it is turning into my favorite driver, possibly of all time.

^from 2013

flat top like with the shock/volt I think gives you the "new" run. The issue was how all of those discs had some variance in the flights-- the process to make the discs is now superior to that when the orginal 9 speed class was released. They also have the smallest overmolds and only are available in max weight.

Plasma volts, DUH!!!

Thanks guys! Yeah I wasn't sure if it has something to do with the Shocks or if I was opening up a whole new can of worms so I decided one of you MVP dudes could help me out!

So Aim, would you say that most of the Amps available would be the "new" or "fixed" ones or is it gonna just be hit and miss for a while until MVP can put more of the new/fixed ones into shelf rotation?

And plasma volts?! :mouthwatering:

Last edited:
I have never really thrown the amp much since it was released but MVP has/is/was always improving their plastics, molding techniques and products in general. You can assume like with the volts and shocks of today-- all amps are coming out the same way. I am not sure how popular the disc is in general so who knows if there is new "old stock" on some store shelves. I would doubt it though if its anywhere that sells much MVP being discspeed's post is pretty old now.

I have never really thrown the amp much since it was released but MVP has/is/was always improving their plastics, molding techniques and products in general. You can assume like with the volts and shocks of today-- all amps are coming out the same way. I am not sure how popular the disc is in general so who knows if there is new "old stock" on some store shelves. I would doubt it though if its anywhere that sells much MVP being discspeed's post is pretty old now.

I figured but I knew you'd have a great explanation. Thanks!

^I was thinking about that discspeed post from '13...I feel like the 'stable' Amps I have are closer to -.5 in HSS new. The old pink one I lost wasn't as flippy as this hot pink one (more like the -1.5 vs -3). I'm honestly just guessing, but I think maybe the Amp got tweaked too, or once they upgraded the process, we got the Amps they wanted to make.

The shop where I found the hot pink one has been opened for like 6 months, tops, so I don't know what to think about what's out there, what isn't. If Aim isn't sure on that front, no way will I have a clue.

I just know that I'm into the stable ones in a "long shower with" kind of way. lol

Wasn't really looking forward to the plasma amp until I started throwing my plasma volt a good amount. Now I am excited for most any driver they want to put out in plasma. Plasma amp may replace my inspire or maybe for between volt and inspire if I decide to bag it.

Plasma Amps would be money. That great grip, beautiful plastic, and controllable understability? What more could you ask for?