• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Anode Putter

So far not a fan of MVP at all but I am going to try the Anode today and see whats up. I have tried all the MVP disc's so far and I don't like any. I keep giving them a chance but so far they are not for me. Anode we will see???

So far not a fan of MVP at all but I am going to try the Anode today and see whats up. I have tried all the MVP disc's so far and I don't like any. I keep giving them a chance but so far they are not for me. Anode we will see???

If you don't like it... PIF!!!

Well here are my initial thoughts on the Anode... I played 18 holes with just the Anode. There was really no wind so IDK how it would fly in the wind.

1) I like that it doesn't have a bead
2) I like that is seems to be flater than the Ion (Not as flat as I would like it still)
3) I liked the lines it held for the most part. It seems a bit more stable than what I expected but it will hold most lines. It was falling out of anhyzers at the end of the flight. Held good hyzer lines though. It was also easy to hyzer filp. (I did burn it on a few full power drives)
4) I like that it seemed to grab chains really well. (I have always liked this about MVP putters)

Did Not Like

1) I hate the way this plastic feels. I think that is the biggest reason I don't like MVP. It is to slick and has no grip when it gets wet. It is even kind of hard to dry off. (Maybe the softs will have more/better grip)
2) I don't like the rim depth and the way the disc sits in my hand. I wish MVP could make the disc's flat right at the rim. The one I have does not have a big dome but I just don't like the feel at all.
3) It seemed easy to over power and burn on full power throws. I did get more used to it as the round went on but I don't think I would like it for a driving putter.

I think I like the Anode more than any other MVP disc but I will definatly not be adding it to my bag. I am going to play a few more rounds with it and see what I think but I really don't see myself liking it. I give MVP a chance every time they come out with a new disc but I just don't like them. Its all good, I like trying new plastic and I am sure lots of people will like the disc.

If I end up liking it more after a few more rounds I will post a update.

my practice basket keeps spitting these out... direct middle shots, high chain shots, anywhere, they either spit out or go right through :(
not impressed so far, but.... it is cold here...

@E_Rock - these things will take all the power you can give the and they'll hold true to how you threw it. I don't mean to be rude, but it's gotta be user error. Just look at MikeC's video, there's all the proof needed.

@Apdrvya - I've had it happen too, I believe it to be that the overmolds of the medium plastic to be too slick. I have had no problems with soft ions, but mediums will cut through a lot more. At least that is what I've observed.

@E_Rock - these things will take all the power you can give the and they'll hold true to how you threw it. I don't mean to be rude, but it's gotta be user error. Just look at MikeC's video, there's all the proof needed.

It's not rude no worries. I think they are sliping on me. I really hate the feel of the plastic. I know lots of people like them but they are just not for me. I watch all Mikes vids and I don't have that kind of form BH. I am also a FH only player due to a shoulder injury that I have had for years from a snowboard accident. These things don't take kindly to OAT and that could be the problem on the full power throws as well. They seemed all right on a Hyzer line for me full power but Flat or Anhyzer was where I was having problems. I wish they would make a disc with a shallow rim. I like shallow rim putters much more for diving.

I had some good throws today but this disc will never be a wizard. I know Mike switched from Wizards to Ions but I just like the tacky/gummy feeling plastic way more. I really like the Zero Line plastic from Lat64 and MVP is on the other end of the world from that IMO.

I was just thinking how hard the overmold is on my anodes compared to my soft Ions.
As a lifetime soft putter user I can safely assume these won't be replacing my first run ions as my primary putters.
Not sure I understand the logic behind the stiff slick overmold, even r pro will hold up for years in a putter so why not make all of your putter overmolds soft n grippy?
Anywho I haven't even had a chance to putt with these so I'll hold off on passing judgement 'til I do a side by side comparison with my super soft first runs on the indoor practice basket :D
On a side note these violets sure are Purty :p

I guess I've got some OAT issues, I keep making the anode turn right when I throw it full power, powered down it flies nice and straight. Putting more power on it for me means hyzer flip it to send it straight.

After about 20ish throws though it started behaving better (means my throwing style has been adjusting to it).

It's a nice disc, I'll keep playing with it for a while, it can handle some pretty sweet shots both FH and BH, I just need a bit more work driving far with it.

Just received my grape anode today, but havent thrown it yet...is there a reason why mine doesnt say "first run" on the front?

None of them do. No real way to tell if it's a first run, we will have to see when a second run comes out if there's away to tell the difference.

With the way MVP is making discs these days I doubt that we'll be able to tell. Has anyone noticed a difference between the FR Axi and the blank/ones w/o "First Run" on them?

Played a few rounds with my anodes, time to chime in...

It is not too flippy. In fact it's not flippy enough. There was a healthy amount of stability in the flight which was consistent from start to finish. It won't fight out of a steep anhyzer release, but throw it flat and it will finish with fade. After throwing it for a full round it seems redundant. Flies so much like a second run ion that I don't think I would be able to tell the difference. Overall I'm a little disappointed. I wanted a dead neutral or even flippy ion, not just a stock second run ion.

I can notice a difference putting, but again it is negligible. I could see the anode being very useful for putters who can't quite get the ion up to its desired spin. Much more forgiving for low spin putts.

Overall this will be a throwaway MVP mold in the long run, unless future runs of anodes come out less stable. I will put with the ones I have for now, because they do perform a teeny tiny bit better, but if I ever lose them they won't be replaced.

I could see the anode being very useful for putters who can't quite get the ion up to its desired spin. Much more forgiving for low spin putts.
This is quite accurate when describing the Anode, as the anode was not designed to be a flippy turnover putter. The beadless feel and less fade on putts were a few target areas aimed for in the Anode.

Played a few rounds with my anodes, time to chime in...

It is not too flippy. In fact it's not flippy enough. There was a healthy amount of stability in the flight which was consistent from start to finish. It won't fight out of a steep anhyzer release, but throw it flat and it will finish with fade. After throwing it for a full round it seems redundant. Flies so much like a second run ion that I don't think I would be able to tell the difference. Overall I'm a little disappointed. I wanted a dead neutral or even flippy ion, not just a stock second run ion.

I can notice a difference putting, but again it is negligible. I could see the anode being very useful for putters who can't quite get the ion up to its desired spin. Much more forgiving for low spin putts.

Overall this will be a throwaway MVP mold in the long run, unless future runs of anodes come out less stable. I will put with the ones I have for now, because they do perform a teeny tiny bit better, but if I ever lose them they won't be replaced.

These things are not supposed to be flippy.
"It has less fade on putts, yet is stable enough for long straight drives." - MVP

The 2nd run Ions still have a lot more lss than the Anodes, even when broken in.

Throwaway mold for other golfers, not a chance. Not what you wanted from MVP, very likely.

Not everyone who throws Ions throws early "uneven" runs...

Do all the anodes have concave flight plates? Mine is concave like a yeti almost, but I like that. Not sure if its normal though

Do all the anodes have concave flight plates? Mine is concave like a yeti almost, but I like that. Not sure if its normal though

Mine are too.
half my ions were a little concave and are my favorite ones by far. My anodes are less concave than the ions, these are to be flat, so they are flirting with concave too.

Im enjoying the Anodes so far. Ive spent roughly the last 30 minutes in the backyard with these, another stack of Ions, and my Gateway Bullseye basket. I experimented with spin and push putts. They're not significantly different from my 2 more beat ions (home course has several asphault fairways, so I actually do get to beat up my MVP discs), but enough of them out of the box that I think theres a good chance they will make it in the bag as the main putting putters. I will be using these at the GCC and the Memorial after a lot of focus this next few weeks. Should take them to the course tomorrow and try them for driving. I'm very optimistic as the Axis is probably my favorite disc in the bag currently. Thanks MVP and Justin too.

Latest posts