• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Anode Putter

The Anodes I got today are "slightly" concave. Not by much. I got some 171g Orange blanks. I'm want to rub these things in dirt to scuff em' up a bit. ..... they look too purdy.

Maybe it's been a while with a medium for putting but they feel lighter to me, I know it's in my head, but wow. Only had time to putt, definitely my putting putter when the softs or eclipse softs come out.

Great job MVP you did it again! Hmmm now I wonder driver next? Or are they working on an understable putter and mid that will use the same existing cores that they are already using?

These things are not supposed to be flippy.
"It has less fade on putts, yet is stable enough for long straight drives." - MVP

The 2nd run Ions still have a lot more lss than the Anodes, even when broken in.

I didn't say they were supposed to be anything, they just weren't what I was hoping. I disagree on the 2nd runs, I threw my two textured mediums sandwiched between my two anodes and the flight was almost exactly the same; they all took the same path and landed within 5' of another time after time.

Throwaway mold for other golfers, not a chance. Not what you wanted from MVP, very likely.

Not everyone who throws Ions throws early "uneven" runs...

I don't remember speaking for anyone but myself. :|

There seems to be an unhealthy amount of fanboy behavior building among MVP throwers. I love MVP; I just sold off my entire collection and kept only a 9 disc MVP bag. I sold discs I have been throwing for 15 years and kept MVP. I have raved about the ion and axis. I recently fell in love with the current run and eclipse vectors. But seriously, anyone that seems to dislike anything about the anode gets blowback on here.

I'm just trying to figure out where you're getting your expectations from. Especially after MVP, Mike C, and Discspeed giving insight on how the disc flies.

I'm just trying to figure out where you're getting your expectations from. Especially after MVP, Mike C, and Discspeed giving insight on how the disc flies.

I didn't have any expectations. I hoped it would be a dead neutral driving putter. It was not. It turned out to fly like an MVP disc I already own. Thats all. :popcorn:

I got to throw about 100 25' putts in the house tonight to do a quick side by side with my first runs and the one thing that jumped out at me right away was how much faster the ions flew out of my hand compared to the anodes.
Not saying that's good or bad, just a very noticeable difference.

The second thing I noticed was that despite feeling much slicker the anode actually sank a lot more putts. I think that had a lot to do with both the speed difference and the weight difference (166 Vs 175)

I think I'll throw them in the bag for a few weeks and see how it goes. The ions will probably hold onto the long distance putter role since they seem to stay in the air for about 6 days before finally falling :p

I got to throw about 100 25' putts in the house tonight to do a quick side by side with my first runs and the one thing that jumped out at me right away was how much faster the ions flew out of my hand compared to the anodes.
Not saying that's good or bad, just a very noticeable difference.

The second thing I noticed was that despite feeling much slicker the anode actually sank a lot more putts. I think that had a lot to do with both the speed difference and the weight difference (166 Vs 175)

I think I'll throw them in the bag for a few weeks and see how it goes. The ions will probably hold onto the long distance putter role since the seem to stay in the for about 6 days before finally falling :p

I found the opposite to be true myself, but these are all opinions so not everyone is going to think the same thing.

I picked up a blue 175 anode the other day and finally got a chance to play a couple rounds on it. To me it flies similar to the ion. Not exactly, it does seem to have less fade. I had this notion that it was going to be dead straight no fade style. What it reminds me of is a BB aviar. Without the bead. Hopefully it will beat to a little straighter so it will compliment my ions better.

I picked up a blue 175 anode the other day and finally got a chance to play a couple rounds on it. To me it flies similar to the ion. Not exactly, it does seem to have less fade. I had this notion that it was going to be dead straight no fade style. What it reminds me of is a BB aviar. Without the bead. Hopefully it will beat to a little straighter so it will compliment my ions better.

this is called an Omega

ZAM alluded to me be jealous over this disc earlier. Seriously great driving putter and one hell of a pitch putter as well. It just drops right in.

So yeah if you are a fan of the Omega Ap 1.11, Sirius Omega, or Qmega you pretty much need to add the Anode to your bag. I was throwing it on frozen ropes back and forth to the warehouse staff. It is a much better driver than the Ion. Good job MVP

27 Holes with the MVP Anode

Here is my 2 cents on the Anode...

My first realization about the Anode after a few holes of driving/putting with it, is that the comparison between the Ion and Anode is not apples vs. oranges... it is more like red apples vs. green apples.

That being said, here is what I noticed.

I generally throw my Ions 250-275, and some days I can push them out to 300. Today I was sitting pretty with a consistent 275 rip with both the Ion and Anode.

At first I was throwing the Anode the same way I throw my Ions, which is with a slight hyzer (most of the time, that is), and the Anode was just slightly different in that it really COMMITTED to the hyzer line. Once it locked onto it, it actually faded harder than my Ions do. My Ions tend to loft out more vs a mild diving that I was seeing in the Anode. Emphasis on MILD diving.

So I started throwing some flat shots after a few hyzer releases and saw that the Anode faded later than the Ions on these types of throws. Not much later, but definitely noticeable. This is not a "no fade" disc.

When thrown on an anhyzer line, it definitely holds its line longer than Ions do, but with enough height, I was still seeing some flattening out. It could just be that I am not putting enough spin on the sucker to accomplish a no fade flight on annys though.

I think it was Discspeed who said that the Anode was better at flying lower lines, but whoever said it, I definitely agree. The Golden Gate Park course in San Francisco is well wooded and doesn't have a lot of airspace like the courses you see in Mike C's videos. You are throwing through trees and under branches a lot, so it is hard to get biiiiig lofty throws for this reason. I was able to throw more "ropes" at lower altitudes and come up around 250 feet or so. Not bad.

Putting was definitely interesting. I want to say it is better for longer putts, but I think more testing is needed. I was still putting better with my Ions, which are all soft, but I made some pretty clean putts around 30 feet with the Anode today, which is sort of a rare thing for me. That being said, I had a few bounce outs that looked like sure things. Could just be from the medium stiffness, but I don't know. I tried some anny line putting with the Anode at about 30-40 feet out, and I wasn't very successful... a lot of blow bys... I just wasn't able to be accurate. Overall, my putting is still better with Soft Ions, but I don't want to say that the Anode won't be replacing them for putting until I try a soft.

This disc isn't mind blowing or anything, but I think that's because we are all comparing it to the Ion. For those of us who love MVP's products, and are enamored with the Ion, I think that we will see a lot of "meh" responses solely because it is not THAT different. Once again, red apples vs. green apples. But for those of you who are trying out an Anode as your first MVP disc, I do think that you will be blown away- much in the same way everyone is blown away by the Ion the first time you try it.

This is a great putter, it just has a lot of overlap with the Ion... but that is to be expected, no?

There seems to be an unhealthy amount of fanboy behavior building among MVP throwers...

:rolleyes:

Hearing that anodes are great at lower ceiling shots makes me happy. I'm not expecting a reinvention of the wheel, but I am excited to get a more neutral Ion.

:rolleyes:

Hearing that anodes are great at lower ceiling shots makes me happy. I'm not expecting a reinvention of the wheel, but I am excited to get a more neutral Ion.

That's exactly how I am gonna promote the Anode when asked about it on the course. The low ceiling part that is.

It turned out to fly like an MVP disc I already own. Thats all. :popcorn:

Yeah, but those MVP discs you already own will never be produced again. I feel like MVP was being loyal to the 2nd run Ion throwers by making the Anode a priority over many different things they could have released next. Personally I strongly prefer the Anode to the 2nd run Ions, but that's as much about feel as it is about flight.

Got mine today, I'm excited to try it out. I agree with the statement earlier that it looks like a bb aviar without the bead. As a long time bb thrower and recent ion convert, I'm hoping that this disc turns out to be a mix of both.

Latest posts