• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Reactor

This new batch of MVP/Axiom mid ranges are all just too good. I'd bag Pyro - Reactor - Hex - Uplink - Paradox if I could, but that just seems stupid.

I picked up a second hand Matrix during the week that appears unthrown and that's pretty good as well (bit like my Eclipse Reactor, but with a tiny bit of turn before the reliable fade).

I haven't thrown a matrix myself, felt them up at the local shop and they were nice, just thought the reactor felt a bit better in the hand.

Still not sure if there's a need for a neutron reactor when I bag a hex and eclipse reactor already…matrix definitely seems redundant.

I think the eclipse discs should fly mostly the same. I really like the Reactor/Hex but when I was speaking with someone else they were saying CN and Neutron reactors were very different. So I have a CN reactor and Neutron Reactor arriving today or tomorrow to test that out. Some people have said the Neutron is almost Hex like in terms of stability. I'd be a little surprised if that was the case given the Reactor, Hex, Uplink, and Paradox were all designed side by side by MVP/Axiom

I don't have an Eclipse Reactor but I do have Neutron and Cosmic in addition to a pair of Hexes. The Neutron definitely seems to sit between. I'd have to get them all out in the field (never a bad idea) and throw for a bit to try and quantify the difference. It's probably not dissimilar to the cycling idea where the Neutron flies a little more beat in than the Cosmic, but not actually differently. The Hex flies differently.

Right now my 5 speed selection is 1 Deflector, 1 Pyro, 2 CN Reactors, 1 Neutron Reactor, and 2 Hexes. I haven't figured out the Pyro and I could drop it and the N Reactor and not miss a beat.

As an aside MVP absolutely owes us a Plasma Reactor just so that I can use the phrase in normal conversation.

OK so I was able to get out today and throw a Prism Pyro, Eclipse Reactor, CN Reactor, N reactor, N Hex, N Uplink, N Paradox.

My pyro and eclipse reactor are almost the same flight. The pyro probably fades more aggressively but ultimately they end up in the same place. With the eclipse reactor I was able to get a smidge of turn out of it, but very little and hard to tell most of the time. Also the turn was only evident if thrown perfectly flat and giving it a really good rip.

Cosmic Neutron and Neutron reactors flew very similar but the cosmic is ever so slightly more stable. These fly how I would expect a reactor to fly. Clearly gets the -0.5" turn with a good rip and flies straight with a nice predictable fade. If I really launched either of these I could get them to almost resemble a hex but not quite. The hex, by comparison, has more turn and less fade (duh, the flight numbers say that) but honestly it's not that much.

I think if I was using my mids to go full send on the time, I probably wouldn't bag the hex but I am using them at around 75-85% power and at that range, there is enough distinction that I would carry both the hex and the N reactor. At that power range the reactor is straight with no turn and good fade. The Hex will turn a bit, and have less fade than the reactor, finishing just about straight ahead.

Currently my mids are probably: Eclipse Reactor, N. Reactor, N. Hex, N. Uplink, N. Paradox.

I really wish I wasn't carrying five mids with four separate mold but here I am. I could see myself having a beat reactor and beat uplink and being able to drop the hex and paradox. But that day is not today.

OK so I was able to get out today and throw a Prism Pyro, Eclipse Reactor, CN Reactor, N reactor, N Hex, N Uplink, N Paradox.

My pyro and eclipse reactor are almost the same flight. The pyro probably fades more aggressively but ultimately they end up in the same place. With the eclipse reactor I was able to get a smidge of turn out of it, but very little and hard to tell most of the time. Also the turn was only evident if thrown perfectly flat and giving it a really good rip.

Cosmic Neutron and Neutron reactors flew very similar but the cosmic is ever so slightly more stable. These fly how I would expect a reactor to fly. Clearly gets the -0.5" turn with a good rip and flies straight with a nice predictable fade. If I really launched either of these I could get them to almost resemble a hex but not quite. The hex, by comparison, has more turn and less fade (duh, the flight numbers say that) but honestly it's not that much.

I think if I was using my mids to go full send on the time, I probably wouldn't bag the hex but I am using them at around 75-85% power and at that range, there is enough distinction that I would carry both the hex and the N reactor. At that power range the reactor is straight with no turn and good fade. The Hex will turn a bit, and have less fade than the reactor, finishing just about straight ahead.

Currently my mids are probably: Eclipse Reactor, N. Reactor, N. Hex, N. Uplink, N. Paradox.

I really wish I wasn't carrying five mids with four separate mold but here I am. I could see myself having a beat reactor and beat uplink and being able to drop the hex and paradox. But that day is not today.

Does a putter (Envy or Nomad, etc) at higher power not do what a 75% mid does? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, lol.

Does a putter (Envy or Nomad, etc) at higher power not do what a 75% mid does? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, lol.

So a couple things--and to be honest I am still wrestling through some of this myself--first of which is I try not to have to rip every single disc for all my throws. So sometimes that means just because I can get my envy out there 280' I may pull out the hex and power down a bit to get a similar flight.

Second, certain holes cause certain restrictions to where I wouldn't want to use the putter. Whether that is a low ceiling or needing a bit more ground action than a putter will give me.

One of the things that is surprising to me sometimes is when I throw all of my discs at field work. From my envy to my longest throw with the insanities I can be grouped between 280' and 360-400'. I could certainly carry a more compact back like when i travel. But when I have my big bag, I want the options to be able to choose the shot and power that I want to accomplish it.

Throwing a putter 300 feet requires a fair amount of height, where a mid or fairway gets there on a lot lower line.

Common pitfall of discing down adventures. Because you can throw it for a certain distance in a wide open field you start making yourself throw that disc on the course and hilarity ensues.

Point of the game is to shoot the best score, not throw the shortest disc on the toughest line.

The theory of discing down is to be able to execute with the easiest disc to control, but if you can't execute it's a moot point.

The glow reactor is amazing! It feels and flies like a fairway driver. It felt like I was getting it out there sooo far. It almost felt like I was throwing a Teebird. Very long and straight, with a predictable fade in the end. If only they made these in non-overmold variants or had different colored overmolds. I absolutely love the profile and feel of the Reactor in the hand. It feels like a 'modern' midrange, with a rounded, thin and very aerodynamic shape, and it has such reliable stability.

Last edited:
It feels like a 'modern' midrange, with a rounded, thin and very aerodynamic shape, and it has such reliable stability.

Interestingly enough, MVP said in one of their videos (maybe the christmas live stream, iirc) that the reactor/hex/uplink/paradox were all kind of designed together. The intent was to modernize midranges but have all four feel very similar in the hand. I love all four discs, the glow reactor flies a lot like a wasp did to me when I threw discraft mids. The neutron reactors are a lot like a buzzz. The hex is a beat in buzzz in a way. The uplink has such a late turnover its really a unique disc. And the paradox is just super fun to throw. I don't bag it often but man, it's just a crazy US disc that is super fun to hyzer flip

Interestingly enough, MVP said in one of their videos (maybe the christmas live stream, iirc) that the reactor/hex/uplink/paradox were all kind of designed together. The intent was to modernize midranges but have all four feel very similar in the hand. I love all four discs, the glow reactor flies a lot like a wasp did to me when I threw discraft mids. The neutron reactors are a lot like a buzzz. The hex is a beat in buzzz in a way. The uplink has such a late turnover its really a unique disc. And the paradox is just super fun to throw. I don't bag it often but man, it's just a crazy US disc that is super fun to hyzer flip

That's interesting! I fondled a Hex at my local pro shop and it did seem to have that same sleek aerodynamic feel to it. I'd like a disc that starts out overstable like a Reactor and beats in to a Hex. Are there any other midranges on the market that have that same kind of profile and stability?

That's interesting! I fondled a Hex at my local pro shop and it did seem to have that same sleek aerodynamic feel to it. I'd like a disc that starts out overstable like a Reactor and beats in to a Hex. Are there any other midranges on the market that have that same kind of profile and stability?

The eclipse reactor is more 5 5 0 2 and the neutrons are more like the actual numbers 5 5 -0.5 1.5. That said, if you really like the reactors so much, why not use it until it beats into a hex?

Off the MD3 and Trust are two new mids that would fly similar to the eclipse reactor but I am unsure how they would feel. I came from wasp/buzzz so those were just slightly taller than the reactor/hex

There's a noticeable difference in flight between the neutron and eclipse reactors. I believe my neutron reactor is 174 and my hexes are all heavy and the only difference is the reactor has a bit more fade to it. I'd say if you snagged a neutron reactor around 170 you'd probably have what you're looking for.

The reason why I don't want to bag the Reactor is really shallow, and it's because I only bag teal discs. Neither the regular Reactors or Glow reactors have a teal overmold to them. Is the material dye-able?

I'm also waiting for color glow MD3s to drop, but I gotta admit, they don't feel as sleek as the Reactor.

Throwing a putter 300 feet requires a fair amount of height, where a mid or fairway gets there on a lot lower line.

Common pitfall of discing down adventures. Because you can throw it for a certain distance in a wide open field you start making yourself throw that disc on the course and hilarity ensues.

Point of the game is to shoot the best score, not throw the shortest disc on the toughest line.

The theory of discing down is to be able to execute with the easiest disc to control, but if you can't execute it's a moot point.

Just saw this, but, my 'home' course is a former pecan grove with 80% of the shots requiring low ceilings. I've been a minimalist thrower for years before moving near this course. I only carry 6 discs total, usually 1 driver, 1-2 fairways, 1 utility disc, and 2 putters. Just recently traded out one of the putters for a mid. It's definitely helped me to know where to use fairways, mids, and putters. I still tend to disc down where I can, but I also definitely throw fairways where on a more open hole I would throw a putter. For instance, there's a 230' hole with probably the lowest ceiling on the course, I can get there with a putter if I hit a small gap straight at it, but I usually miss that gap and hit one of the branches hanging down, so instead I throw a Crave about 5' off the ground and let it skip up to the basket. If I get it too high, I'll overthrow the basket, but the comeback putt is better than hitting one of the trees I would have hit with a putter or mid.

The reason why I don't want to bag the Reactor is really shallow, and it's because I only bag teal discs. Neither the regular Reactors or Glow reactors have a teal overmold to them. Is the material dye-able?

I'm also waiting for color glow MD3s to drop, but I gotta admit, they don't feel as sleek as the Reactor.

1: Get a Hex, they're the best mid on the market.

2: You can definitely dye an Eclipse rim. The regular black rims aren't going to dye as well.

3: Seriously, get a Hex.

I will try a Hex. I hope it flies at least as stable as a Z-Buzzz. I want something I can crush hard and flat without fear of it turning over much-- at least when new. That Glow Reactor though is soooo sweet. I will have to dye one.

I will try a Hex. I hope it flies at least as stable as a Z-Buzzz. I want something I can crush hard and flat without fear of it turning over much-- at least when new. That Glow Reactor though is soooo sweet. I will have to dye one.

To me the Hex is very similar to a Z Buzzz. Take that with a grain of salt though, it's been a long time since I've thrown a Buzzz. For me though, the Hex has just a little turn, and a little more fade. I have 4 in different weights and they all fly pretty much identical.

I haven't used a Reactor because that shot is what my Envy is for, personally.

I have to say, I am really loving the Reactor.

I held off at first, thinking I didn't really need this one.

But this disc hits the sweet spot. Easy to throw, good distance. Very dependable. Solid in the wind.

I only have one round in with it so far, but I strongly suspect it will make the bag.

I have a Neutron, considering adding an Eclipse

So shallow…

I also only bag pink and or blue discs :)
My buddy stenciled and died my two eclipses blue with a nuclear symbol. You can see his work at disc perfect.

I know this is off topic, but this is great advice. Having adhered to the advice on discing down in my earlier years of disc golf, I would sometimes do it to my detriment.

Back on topic: is the Reactor similar to the Aftershock?

I know this is off topic, but this is great advice. Having adhered to the advice on discing down in my earlier years of disc golf, I would sometimes do it to my detriment.

Back on topic: is the Reactor similar to the Aftershock?

I see this slot too where people adhere to a philosophy of throwing the lowest speed disc that you can get there vs throwing the right disc for the shot. I've had success discing down from destroyers to wraith for consistency on my drives but if it's a 300' low ceiling shot sometimes a mid or fairway is a better disc for the shot or even on wide open ones using something reliably overstable like a zone instead of trying to smoke a putter right at it.

Haven't thrown an aftershock but my eclipse reactor is very similar to a verdict. A quake is also in that realm but a quake I would give an extra number on the fade. Eclipse reactor and verdict 5/5/0/2 and a quake 5/5/0/3. I'd say an emac truth is 5/5/-1/2 for reference as well.