• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Anode Putter

Took my Anodes out to the field during lunch. Throwing this disc definitely shows your mistakes. I had a lot of them sail right from overpowering and turning my wrist. I'll be glad when I finally get this disc down.. hopefully it will fix my mechanics in the process.

I got to play a round yesterday with my new anodes. It took me a while to adjust to them putting. I usually give the ion a little bit of extra room to the right for it to work its way straight into the chains. This did not work with the Anode. It has way less lateral movement even on hyzer putts. I had to adjust to a straighter putting line, but once I did, it was money. It floats better than the ion and saved me from missing a few low putts that would have banged the basket if I were putting with my ions. Compared to a brand new proton ion, the core plastic has less flexibility and tad less grip. It may just be my imagination, but I am comparing them side by side.

As far as driving and approaching, I do notice that the anode is more nose angle sensitive and obviously a little easier to shape lines with. I still like the ions for approaching on straight or hyzer approaches because I know that lss is gonna kick in earlier and slow it down. Anodes are nice for powered down dead straight approaches with minimal fade. I just have to adjust the height I throw them because they just glide so well.

Right now, I have more of a command of the ion, but I see potential for the anode to take over as my main putt and approach putter. We shall see.

So has anyone been told any kind of time frame for the soft Anodes? I'm trying to decide whether to hold off or not.

I am going to be up front and say that I did not give my new Anode a fair shake down; meaning only one round, it was freezing almost to the point where my hands hurt, and the wind was steady at 15-20 mph.

With that being said, I did finally purchase an Anode today. It was an iffy purchase because my putting is already so poor, trying to adjust to yet another putter could only make matters worse. Yet, in the last few weeks I have switched back to using the Ion as a slow, neutral approach disc. I ended up buying the Anode because of the reduced bead. It immediately felt better in my hand than the Ion.

Today's one round, approximately 30 holes, my initial response is that it is an above average driving putter, and excellent approach disc, but is an absolute POS putter when there is wind present. My official round with it at Plymouth Creek I carded a 36 (38 par, my record is 31). Yet my drives were putting me in a position to have one of my best rounds ever. I was mainly using the new Axis I picked up today, which seemed to have reduced glide compared to the Axis I purchased two weeks ago. Regardless, at the end of the round I had 8 pars, 3 birdies, and 1 bogey. Of those 9 non-birdies, 7 of those were in putting range to be birdies, and the one bogey could have been saved for par.

The Anode would either dive too early or float just a few inches too high. I even had a few lip out and one hit the center pole and bounce back at me. Again, I can blame the wind a little for knocking it down or lifting it up, but it still seemed that it had a very narrow window to hit it right.

Still, I really like the Anode for the other things it can do, but at least in the very near future I do not think I can trust it for putting.

Finally got a chance to try out my blank blue (medium) anode. Pretty sweet color and the plastic felt grippy enough. I can see how people might think it's too stiff and slick in colder wetter climates, but I like firmer putters so I liked it and had no issues with the grip. This is the first MVP disc that I've gotten so my first impressions of the rim where very positive. It feels comfortable in hand and I get a clean release. As others have mentioned, I noted a slight puddle top (like a Yeti aviar) but it is very slight.

Putting - after a very short drive, I sank a 25' putt. Wow, this thing just goes straight at the target. The extra glide is noticeable. Tried some other putts with mixed results. Decided the best technique with the anode is to spin putt and pretty much shoot for the center of the chains. Tried to lob it with a little hyzer angle and it didn't tip into the basket like my regular putters. I play neutral putters like the clutch, pure and swan2 but they'll still fall off to the left at the end. The anode will just keep on going.

Drives - Tested it on a shortish hole (203' somewhat downhill). This thing holds a line and the glide is amazing. Tried another hole where the wind was blowing more strongly and it really sails with the gusts. I have a feeling that may be an issue on very windy days where I would usually carry a rhyno.

I'll be playing with this thing for a while I think. I felt comfortable and confident going for putts over longer distances. I think the anode excels at holding the line you throw it on. The glide will carry it to the basket as long as you give it the spin it needs. Nicely done MVP. My $0.02

Wow, sounds like you had a rough round. I was at KP today and had no problems putting in the wind with my Anodes.

Most parts of the round were awesome. I had only two bad drives, one of which where I normally tag a tree, another that made saving par very difficult, but otherwise I had put myself into position to finally score sub 30 there. I was putting for 3 on Hole 8 (par 5) and had to settle for a tap in 4.

I guess my overall comment of the Anode is, it takes some getting used to. I am not saying that it is a bad putter, but for its first time out in less than ideal conditions when my putting is already suspect, I found the window I needed to hit for accuracy and height to be rather narrow. It seemed I had no room for error.

Normally when I get a new putter I putt more cautiously and somehow that makes me putt better. That is why so many times in the last years when I picked up a new putter and played well with it, I suddenly proclaim it as my savior and rush out to buy five more. Most recently I did this with the Dart. I had the opposite result with the Anode. I have never putted as badly as I putted today. Yet with all the other great things I saw out of the Anode, I am not giving up on it this early.

have a pair of anodes sitting here just waiting for my shoulder to heal up so I can throw them. All these reviews just make it harder

Most parts of the round were awesome. I had only two bad drives, one of which where I normally tag a tree, another that made saving par very difficult, but otherwise I had put myself into position to finally score sub 30 there. I was putting for 3 on Hole 8 (par 5) and had to settle for a tap in 4.

I guess my overall comment of the Anode is, it takes some getting used to. I am not saying that it is a bad putter, but for its first time out in less than ideal conditions when my putting is already suspect, I found the window I needed to hit for accuracy and height to be rather narrow. It seemed I had no room for error.

Normally when I get a new putter I putt more cautiously and somehow that makes me putt better. That is why so many times in the last years when I picked up a new putter and played well with it, I suddenly proclaim it as my savior and rush out to buy five more. Most recently I did this with the Dart. I had the opposite result with the Anode. I have never putted as badly as I putted today. Yet with all the other great things I saw out of the Anode, I am not giving up on it this early.

It was just all around hard to putt today with the wind and near 0 temp. Even Beto was having troubles.

Normally when I get a new putter I putt more cautiously and somehow that makes me putt better.

This is why I felt that you have to just go for it with this putter. No cautious laying it up or trying to lob it. Just get some spin on it and aim for chains.

It was just all around hard to putt today with the wind and near 0 temp. Even Beto was having troubles.

Definitely one of the worst days for disc this winter in MN. Really cold, biting, dry wind and frozen icy courses with no snow make for tricky putting. I was having some trouble with controlling nose angle and staying balanced and trying to play the wind. Got swatted down and rode the elevator up quite a few times and couldn't get enough oomph on a lot of putts due to cold and icy footing.

After about 4 more rounds with the anode, I've decided it's not going to be my putting putter. JK avair has that spot. With that said, the anode is a upshot machine! From about 100 feet out I've had no more then a 10 foot putt with it. It's in my bag as a mid-mid range if that makes sence. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Definitely one of the worst days for disc this winter in MN. Really cold, biting, dry wind and frozen icy courses with no snow make for tricky putting. I was having some trouble with controlling nose angle and staying balanced and trying to play the wind. Got swatted down and rode the elevator up quite a few times and couldn't get enough oomph on a lot of putts due to cold and icy footing.

Isn't that great? All this week up to today was great and it should get better by Sunday. Happy birthday to me. I took today off from teaching and one of the many things I wanted to do today was to get out for a nice, casual, and fun round. Even last year with the deep snow it was nice on my birthday, making playing at BRP enjoyable.

I had to stop in at GGGT to drop off my Winter Carnival money and I could not resist purchasing a disc or two for my present to myself. I am trying to complete an all Day Glow bag because I love that color. I was hoping for a King and Boatman. They had neither this time, making me regret that I did not get it last time, forcing me to turn to eBay once again. I almost took a Striker in the Boatman's stead because we had those in my color, but I could not pull the trigger. I did find a Champion TeeBird Plus (to replace my heavy Star TeeBird which is white). I also picked up a Glow Axis in green, which is close to the day glow color I am looking for. Since the Anode was right there, I felt it up and decided to give it a try. At that point I said, "the weather be damned, it is my birthday and I am going to get out and play." I ended up playing 30 holes at Plymouth Creek since it was only 10 minutes away from GGGT.

Finally got these out on the course today. After one round I am liking that they are super straight on both drives and putts and hold most lines you throw them on. My only delemna now is if I am going to have both the Ion and Anode in the bag at the same time. Its a good problem to have.

P.S. Can't wait for the softs for putting.

the anode is a upshot machine! From about 100 feet out I've had no more then a 10 foot putt with it. It's in my bag as a mid-mid range if that makes sence. Anyone else have a similar experience?

This^
After trying my anode out in hundreds of practice puts and a round out on the course I've learned two things.
1. It has zero chance of ever replacing my 1st run Ion as my putter. Maybe because its my first stiff putter ever or because its max weight Vs my normally light weight putter but either way its just not happening. The first night I practiced with it I was nailing everything, since then it just comes up short. Either hitting the front of the basket or diving under it completely.

2. Like the quote says this thing is an upshot machine! It's shape just fits so nice in my hand for those medium/low power upshots and it glides effortless. It has an extremely workable flight path, from hyzer to anhyzer and everything in between it just flies so nice and accurate. It definitely reduces my my average putt distance by landing so close to the pin more often than my Ion or powered down Axis does. Although I would prefer a soft I can safely say that the stiff Anode is now my short to medium range approach disc.
Definitely a par saver

I've taken to flicking it on those 100' upshots and letting it fly dead nuts straight. I haven't quite gotten it down for BH 100' upshots for some reason (still using a buzzz there). But I love it off the tee for anything under 225' right now. It can do some sweet lines (although I'm working on making my anhyzer's better).

Ok so I've been using the Anode for all of 2 hours at this point and here is what I've noticed:

Maybe it's just me, but the Anode will get almost exactly where I tell it to go; it will just take a different flight path to get there. It will either go dead straight like an arrow when I thought it would hyzer off a little bit, or else it will take the hyzer route and again go almost exactly where I tell it to.

Also tried some putting with it. They need a soft anode, because this thing comes barreling in. It makes a terrific noise when it slams the chains dead on, but my concern is that it has such a velocity coming in and is such a straight shooter that it will go through the chains...

but my concern is that it has such a velocity coming in and is such a straight shooter that it will go through the chains...

Try throwing it softer. Compared to my Ions of similar stiffness I don't have to throw or spin my Anode as hard to keep it straight and in the air. I throw mine just hard enough that they are dropping as they hit the chains and I don't ever get spits...I get the occasional bounce out of the bottom of the basket, but not cut throughs.

Latest posts