• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

I too would say that having MVP's a little heavier then your "traditional" disc is not a big deal. I usually throw my mids in the low 170s and my MVP mids are all 177ish. I guess it's because all the weight is in the overmold, ie gyro.

I have a neutron and eclipse axis. Both the same weight. Both fly extremely similar. The eclipse might have a touch more HSS, but it's basically new and my neutron has been hitting trees for about 3 months at this point. For me it's about the plastic feel. I prefer neutron.

Tangent replacing Axis is not a valid argument in my opinion, a fresh axis will go straight and have considerable fade at the end. a fresh tangent will go straight with possibly a very slight turn thats barely noticeable and stay straight with little to almost no fade at the end if thrown on the same straight line as the axis.

An axis requires power to hold a long anny line, the tangent can be powered down and you can give the tangent much less anny and it will carry the line longer all the way to the ground.

The axis can bomb as far as some fairway drivers i have thrown, but the tangent is at least 50' shorter as far as Max D goes.

So, what can replace the axis?
What i have done is mostly replaced my axis with a couple beat vectors, one thats ultra beat since the day i bought it and it goes straight and fades very forward with no turn, and another one that's beat in just right so it still fades nice, similar to a fresh eclipse axis.

The benefits of this are, a little more wind resistance than an axis would provide, and more HSS so i can really rip them hard and know its going to be more forgiving. Other than that i can hit any line a fresh axis can.

I just got an Axis a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. It took a few days to dial in but now I'm using it on almost every upshot and anything under 250 I need to go dead straight or a slow mild turning anhyzer.

It's a 176 and before this I never threw a mid over 170 and now I'm finding that I've got more control on the heavier Axis but many times can't throw it as far as any other mid I've got. Where with my 169 buzzz I've hit 300 on some shots. With the Axis I don't think I've ever got over 250. It's usually closer to 200.

I went to buy a lighter Axis but can't find anything anywhere lower than 173. Do they not make the Axis in lighter weights?

My plan B is to try a Tangent because many people say it's a bit easier to control and they come in much lighter weights so I'm thinking I could throw it farther.

I shot a -7 at my local course using only a mildly beat first run axis. Absolutely love this disc, had them in my bag since they came out and they're my go to mid for short drives and long up shots, and rollers... God I love rolling these things. A mildly flippy axis is a prefect roller disc.

yeah, axis is the mid i was searching for to fill that stable slot in my bag. cores had too much turn when you put the juice behind them and the buzz isn't really what i wanted.

just straight, all day long.

as far as weights go, you are not likely to find them much lighter...i looked around out of curiosity after you mentioned that and didn't really find anything.

however, i like my mids heavy.

and, bfowler, axis a is a faaaaaaaaaar flying mid. they respect the snap. i'm not sure why you're not getting the distance, but i truly don't think 4 grams is making the difference. keep at it and you'll be alright!

Found a 178 very domey Pink Axis today at my shop. Now, this is what I expected the Axis to be. It's my 2nd one. Whereas my first one (flat orange 176) kept tracking to the right on me this new one (domey pink 178) goes dead straight much easier with a nice tiny left fade at the end...or none at all. And if I crack some power on it it'll turn a bit to the right but then fade back to the center. The orange one never fade left at all unless I put a ton of air/height under it.

Since I can crank on it a little bit with some power and I'm not scared of pulling it right I can already get a lot more distance out it than my orange one.

My Axis is my go to driver for straight tight fairway shots. It's just so easy to point and shoot with this disc.

There is this one hole that is Heavily wooded and it's 310ftish to the basket. I just rip my Axis straight and it effortlessly glides to the basket. Yesterday my Axis was right against the pin. :hfive:

It's starting to be my most used MVP mid in my bag.

Anode was an instant match made in heaven. The Volt only took a day to become my favorite fairway driver. The Vector took two weeks but the more I'm throwing it the more awesome it becomes. The tangent is coming a long.

I've had the Anode a while but the Axis was the first non putter MVP that I got and I've just had a hard time dialing it in. I've got two of them. A very flat 176 and a pink domey 178. I know it's me but I haven't found the best way to throw them the way I have other MVP molds. I just can't get them to consistently go straight. Most times I pulling them to the right. Whenever I try to hyzerflip them they just take the hyzer line.

Any of your Axis throwers have some suggestions.

I do like the fact that MVP loves correct releases as it's helped my form but it's frustrating that I've seemingly dialed in other molds but this one is much harder.

rolling your wrist, pulling your disc durring follow through, or just throwing too hard!

slow it down, find a speed that you can throw it straight, then slowly start throwing it harder as you get that release point down.. eventually you will be able to throw it hard and straight at the same time.

If your throwing it too hard, your not going to get a straight release.

rolling your wrist, pulling your disc durring follow through, or just throwing too hard!

slow it down, find a speed that you can throw it straight, then slowly start throwing it harder as you get that release point down.. eventually you will be able to throw it hard and straight at the same time.

If your throwing it too hard, your not going to get a straight release.

This. The Axis is nose angle sensitive and will punish bad form. Keep practicing and you will see positive results!

Have had a FR sitting around for a while I think im going to put in the bag. The alias wasn't quite for me and miss the faster profile of this disc. I have carried one mid for a good 6 months only and am finding myself coming back to my favorite mid since throwing a buzzz when I started playing.

Axis, welcome back to the bag. With all the new MVP discs you were collecting dust but like the Ion you are one of the best discs they have made yet. Missed you.

Axis pairs nice with the envy because they are both fast for their class. For anything under that I throw a BH fan grip with a putter or zone flick.

I had a splash down with my go to E Axis like 2 months ago, and didn't replace it until recently. During that stretch, I worked a lot with the Tangent for the first time. Now I've got a fresh E Axis that needs to break in, and I'm used to throwing the Tangent, and I'm all discombobulated. Crazy how differently you have to throw those two to get them to do their thing. The Tangent is like a putter's big brother, and the Axis is like a sensitive driver's young cousin.

yeah my ion/tangent will still take majority of these "mid-range" shots but I miss the axis for some more fairway-ish duties at 300'+ and into some wind etc. basically like crave vs volt for me.

If I could only carry one mid it would be the Axis. Such a great disc for me. Minimal bag would be: Envy-Axis-Volt. Could cover a lot of ground with these three molds

If I can get to where I can consistently get the Axis to 300, I'll likely drop the Servo class altogether, aside maybe from the Switch, which is turning into a crazy trick-shot master for me.

Figured I'd chime in about the Axis. It's definitely one of my favorite discs. I have a 176g proton axis and I love the thing. Usually I can get it to fly like a laser for me with just a slight fade at the end. Almost had my first ace with the Axis a few days ago. 240' to the basket that hit the chains and fell out.

I had a couple of sick 200'+ approach shots with my Axis today. I'm falling in love with the disc all over again.

Thanks to a trade w/ bfowler, I've got something I've never messed with, a beat up N Axis, not sure of the wt. but it feel less than max. Totally different animal than a max wt. E Axis, which is my usual. I love it, get some late turn out of it, it's more trustworthy not to fade out powered down/standstill. I can get that high/drop pretty srtaight floaty shot going on with it. I'm thinking that, as much as I like the Tangent, I may be able to cover mid shots with 2 Axises (Axese? Axi?) and an Envy.