• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes Ion superior or why do some of you like it best? Proxy and Envy are favorite part of my bag but I'm genuinely curious - I've never thrown one. How does flight compare to an Envy? And don't just say better :)

What makes Ion superior or why do some of you like it best? Proxy and Envy are favorite part of my bag but I'm genuinely curious - I've never thrown one. How does flight compare to an Envy? And don't just say better :)

Don't get sucked into their Ion vortex. The Ion is essentially a better premium Wizard. Nice bead, good stability, great glide, decent line shaping putter. The Ion is good off the tee and in the circle. However, so is the Envy/Proxy. It really depends what you like and what works for you and your style. If you like beads and deep putters, the the Ion is the bees knees. If not, then find what works for you. Don't let the fanboy Ion club beat you down.

the ion is just super workable and putts better IMO with the added glide. It is just as OS as an envy really but not as forgiving at all. Basically just comes down to deeper feel and added glide. with the big bead the ion will hold a line you put it on while not getting squirrely. The 150 class ion/anodes are great as well without changing from normal heavy wts. Also the spin is a great complementary mold in the deeper class to pair with ions.

Ions do it all so well and don't really beat in unless in electron. the big bead really helps retain stability. I have a proxy around and envy I still bag from time to time but just have no need when one mold can do the work plus putting.

Don't get sucked into their Ion vortex. The Ion is essentially a better premium Wizard. Nice bead, good stability, great glide, decent line shaping putter. The Ion is good off the tee and in the circle. However, so is the Envy/Proxy. It really depends what you like and what works for you and your style. If you like beads and deep putters, the the Ion is the bees knees. If not, then find what works for you. Don't let the fanboy Ion club beat you down.

don't be mad the ion kills all other MVP/axiom putters. it is the putter of the gyrofessional.

I cant think of one thing the ion doesnt do. BH, fh, thumbers, tomahawks, flex, rollers, putts, ect. You name it, the ion can work it all.

Proxy is a one trick disc, just straight. Envy is a crutch.

Why would I need to bag multiple putters when the ion does everything (specifically in plaz)

And if you need more distance, just grab a plasma volt. Call it a day. All my other discs in my bag are just to prevent the volt and ions from wiggling around as I walk.

Oh yeah, and it does everything the proxy and envy does, just better.

The Ion is deeper and gets extra glide from that depth. They're my favorite putting putter, and I do enjoy driving with them, but I prefer driving with the Proxy / Envy combo for a few reasons.

- Squared rim VS curved rim. The squared rim feels more secure in my forehand grip. Putting and backhand it doesn't make much of a difference for me, but the curved inner rim takes some getting used to.

- Envy is more OS than Ions across the board. They'll do better in wind, especially when flicked. Being flatter with a lower profile also helps them penetrate wind better.

- Proxy is magic and covers basically any line in calm to moderate winds. Ions do not do the subtle turnover or 100% dead straight shot as well as a Proxy. It takes years of seasoning in my experience to make a premium Ion cover those lines, or you can beat up an Electron Ion, but over time it will develop more turn. I don't always have room to throw an anhyzer off the tee, which is where a firm rip with a Proxy thrown flat to exploit its subtle turn shines.

- Slightly faster with their low profile and flatter top. This helps them in the wind and gives them a bit more distance potential on lower lines. Proxy doesn't really do any worse in the wind VS an Ion for me, and Envy does much better. PRoxy / Envy throw a bit more like mids, while the Ion feels like true a putter off the tee.

The Ion can definitely be your only putter, but it will require you seasoning some to cover the lines a Proxy can, and there isn't an Ion that's as OS as an Envy. Proxy / Envy combo allows you to cover a wider range of shots when new.

I've settled on putting with Electron Ions and driving with the Proxy / Envy. I still play one disc rounds with my Ions a few times a month, so I compare their performance head to head quite often.

I firmly believe the Proxy is the best throwing putter ever made, bar none. If I could only throw one disc for the rest of my life, it'd be the Proxy.

Proxy is a one trick disc, just straight.

Not if you know what release angles are ;)

Last edited:
I have been meaning to post this for a while, but I have been extremely busy with the end of the school year and starting summer classes. All the discussion on putters and Ions motivated me to finally post it.

During finials week, I brought my discs to play with some of my students at lunch. The course we have on campus is not great, it is regularly used and abused by one-disc wonders and common unparented hoodlums, but it is convenient to have one nonetheless. I gave the three students only a putter, gave them a quick lesson, and played 5 holes before the the end of lunch. On the last hole, a 275ft slightly elevated hole requiring a carry over a valley of saplings and bushes, I ripped my new Houston Astros orange plasma ion on a great line. It fought the breezy, cool headwinds holding a perfect line just right of the basket until the fade kicked in taking it on a soft fade at the basket. My ion came down at a 45* degree angle ,smoked the pole without rattling the chains, and popped out of the basket at the most unusual, physically impossible way. I told my students that didn't sound right while they just laughed and said I needed to practice more. Walking towards the basket, I couldn't stop thinking about how my disc hit the pole and basket so hard and flush yet fell directly to the ground below the cage with such a strange sound. I arrived to find this. Apparently some punk broke the cage and was nice enough to hold it up with the loose chain to the left. I'm still counting it as an ace that broke a basket, and I will not let my students forget it!

Status
Not open for further replies.