• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A different plastic for putters is indeed the biggest complaint i hear about MVP.. but Distance Drivers are going to be way fun to throw, cant wait for them.

A different plastic for putters is indeed the biggest complaint i hear about MVP.. but Distance Drivers are going to be way fun to throw, cant wait for them.

seriously. If I can chuck an amp 400ft. I can't wait to throw a MVP distance drivers. Let's kick the Nukes out of my bag!

i hope the mvp bros are laughing at all the lid and 'base plastic' suggestions. give me a break..

Not sure why they would laugh. I don't think that either of these are high on their priority list right now, but it doesn't mean the suggestions are without merit.

because they're out there making fast and far flying super premium plastic discs, and you just want the opposite. its like when blonde girls wanna be brunette and vice versa.

i hope the mvp bros are laughing at all the lid and 'base plastic' suggestions. give me a break..

Do you even think about what you post? Base plastic is definitely not out of the realm. Lid isn't even, a little further out, but definitely possible. And there are people who would want it. I'd love a more HSS Zephyr, as would many others I'm sure.

would certainly be interesting to see how the overmold would merge with a base plastic.

If they were to do base plastic, they'd almost have to do a base plastic overmold too. Just put a more dense plastic on the outside like usual, but it'd still have to be able to chemically bond. Also, they'd be a little more durable than other base plastics because of the density, IMO.

i hope the mvp bros are laughing at all the lid and 'base plastic' suggestions. give me a break.

I assume they haven't ruled it out. It may be way down on their list, but I imagine that they may venture out into base plastic.

I assume it is going to go:

Distance Driver- Stable
Distance Driver- OS
Distance Driver- US
Proton plastic for the rest of the line up that doesn't have it
Speed 7 Eagle (my personal wish)
Whatever else
base plastic

Nolangherity- I just mentioned that because I hear it all the time when new people are trying out my MVP putters. I either get.. "Meh.. I like my SSS/KC/" or.." I don't putt with premium.. It spits out of the chains too much."

IMO I thought the point was worth mentioning. It's been discussed plenty of times.:)

Nolangherity- I just mentioned that because I hear it all the time when new people are trying out my MVP putters. I either get.. "Meh.. I like my SSS/KC/" or.." I don't putt with premium.. It spits out of the chains too much."

IMO I thought the point was worth mentioning. It's been discussed plenty of times.:)

The problem is the overmold isn't explained enough I feel. When people saw my ions, they would be like what is that? I would tell them, then explain the make up and how it is useful for not only glide, but grabbing the chains as well. It is premium plastic but the overmold is better than base plastic when it comes to catching chains I think.

I really like the idea of different colored outermolding. Just think, black neutron plastic with any color outermolding would look amazing.

I'd read in a post here somewhere that (And I'm paraphrasing) chemically binding the overmold and the cores perfectly has to be done on a per color basis and that coloring the overmold would increase the chances for quality control issues. I got the impression MVP were more interested in QC and customer well-being first and fore-most. I applaud that decision, personally.

the base plastic = better putter argument is 10000% mental. get over it.

then again most of you think neutron is grippier than proton, so i dunno what to tell you.

the base plastic = better putter argument is 10000% mental. get over it.

then again most of you think neutron is grippier than proton, so i dunno what to tell you.

It's the opposite of mental. It's completely based on feel. Saying that the overmold grabs the chains better than base plastic is way more mental than saying you prefer a baseline putter. I love the way that MVP discs fly, but I'm very close to pulling everything but the drivers out of my bag due to grip/feel issues. I'm not trying to bash MVP (I love the company), but I just prefer the feel of base plastic in my putters/mids.

I'm not sure their current molding technique will work with the "base" plastics

As for putters, try the soft proton or neutron..feels great and It does not make me miss the base plastic feel at all.

^ Different plastics have different chemical properties....including bonding properties.

The way it seems to me at the moment, if you just took a baseline plastic like dx and tried to mold their current overmold onto it, not only would it not adhere but I think it wouldn't take at all (maybe I'm wrong, but this seems more likely than not).

They'd either need to change the plastic in the overmold, use different methods, or use different plastic on both ends altogether. I think it's definitely possible, but for now it just seems a bit too out there.

^ Different plastics have different chemical properties....including bonding properties.

The way it seems to me at the moment, if you just took a baseline plastic like dx and tried to mold their current overmold onto it, not only would it not adhere but I think it wouldn't take at all (maybe I'm wrong, but this seems more likely than not).

They'd either need to change the plastic in the overmold, use different methods, or use different plastic on both ends altogether. I think it's definitely possible, but for now it just seems a bit too out there.

The other thing to consider is what people are willing to pay for 'base plastic' vs production costs. Overmolding surely is a more expensive way to produce discs than single shots. Being competitive at premium pricing is probably already more of a challenge for MVP than companies that don't do this extra work. Further, a recycled plastic line is probably not possible with overmolded discs because they are two plastics bonded together, so another free revenue source may be out. My guess? There won't be a 'base plastic'.

If I could suggest anything plastic-wise, I'd vote for a blend that resists cold temps better than the competition. Something nobody else has really done well yet. Even in single digit + temps my soft Eclipse gets noticeably harder. In snow its as hard as my Neutrons. I'd re-buy several molds in that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.