• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Distance Drivers

I mean, how visibly striking is 1.5mm supposed to be? Each step on the standard "Speed" scale is about 1mm. It's not major, these single millimeters between wing-speeds. The Inertia wing is 8% wider than Volt, which is already in a distance class gray area.

Thanks for the solid info Zam. I'll be interested to actually hold one of these discs (and hopefully throw someone else's) and see for myself what the difference is before I make up my mind.

Computer: "ENHANCE"

Just for fun.
A little amp on inertia action.
I yanked them off the MVP site, scaled the full disc images to match each others width, layered them and tweaked the transparency a bit and the result is meaningless little composite image that seems to show the "difference" that 1.5 millimeters can make.
I don't think that it's 100% accurate, but it's as close as we're gonna get for now.
Amp is blue core, black rim.
Inertia is orange core, white rim.
To me the difference is obvious.
Can't wait to get one.

Attachments

• ampOnInertiaComp.jpg
    ampOnInertiaComp.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Another thing to consider is what kind of drivers potential throwers will have. For example, if I full-on commit to the Switch/Servo/Resistor, then all of a sudden overlap with these new DDs isn't really an issue. It's going to take some doing to get the Volts out of my bag, but the Servo is already gobbling up shots on the shorter end of the Volt's range and these could end up taking the long range shots when they hit.

Also the more gradual slope to the bottom of the wing and slightly lower nose height will make for less drag making the disc "faster". I'm no fanboy but I'll admit a weakness for geek factor in just about everything. I have hopes of it replacing my Orc. My next wish is Ion is to Envy as Anode is to ???.

To expand on prototypicalDave's image, I did pretty much the same thing but changed the colors of each disc. To me, the difference of 1.5 cm in rim width isn't as drastic as the overall wing shape. Combine those two things and I would say that's a substantial difference in the two molds.
amp_inertia.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying all of the new distance drivers out.

ZAM, I'm sorry about "vectorizing" your (MVP's) background images to create this. You've got a great designer's eye that I appreciate as I'm a designer myself. I was also leery about doing this but just couldn't stop myself.

Notes on the image: I made sure that both discs were 21.1cm in diameter (by document size), stacked them and verified the difference in rim width. The image in this post is about as accurate as you can get for working with the two images from MVP's site.

Last edited:
Fraser: 1.5mm diff, not cm :) Wonder if Inertia has similar rim width as Wraith?

I threw my friend's new 167 Star Wraith at open field yesterday and it went as far as my Star Tern (Tern probably only 5 to 10 feet further) at around say 350-360 feet or so. I think light Inertia (say 155 to 165) should work great for me.

Thanks for the catch 811rv. That was posted at the end of a 24 hour day...:eek:

I've fixed the image, can't fix the post. :\

Is it just me or does it seem like the flight plate is just about as thin as possible? Or is that not to scale?

Idk if it's actually scale or not, but I think it's pretty close. Both of the flight plates were identical before I scaled the width (3px with a little bit of gradient). I wouldn't be surprised if those pictures started out engineering illustrations though. I can imagine them giving those to their web designer rather than make new ones just for the website. If that's the case, the only errors would be things like jpeg compression artifacts and the above mentioned gradients.

Sweet Fraser! Much clearer than mine.
Also didn't realize that Zam was the designer.
Good work for sure.
So did they give you 'blueprints' for image assets on their site?

Im a physics nerd like nobody, but for christ's sake at least get the disc in your hand before you start measuring it. I think it's safe to say it's going to be longer and faster. I hate you people.

Sweet Fraser! Much clearer than mine...

I pretty much did the same thing as you did except I ran the background images in Vector Magic to get the clean lines. It also made it easy to color each disc with different colors.

BigSky, when I did my comparison, both discs had almost exactly the same plate depth. I'm confident that these images are pretty accurate.

You can view a zoomable high-res image of my comparison here to see the differences more clearly.

Savage Henry, this is fun for me and not necessarily trying to prove anything. It's just something that I'm capable of doing as well as I like to be involved in a good natured debate.

I checked my Amp with my friend's Star Wraith and it looks like Wraith is about 1.5mm or so wider than Amp. Also checked Wraith with Tern and Sword and all are pretty much similar width. D3 is hair wider (a mm or so) than those three. So it looks like Inertia would be similar to Wraith/Sword. I am guessing Inertia should replace my Swords and Impulse should replace my Terns.

After a round at T-2, I went to open field and threw (flat out) Sword around 370 feet and D3 about 380 feet. Cannot wait!

No release date for the MVP Inertia..
I wonder if Mike C has received a tester yet?
Maybe they are still tweaking the mold?

I wish they wouldn't have announced them till they were ready to release.

Latest posts