• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Distance Drivers

Currently throwing Star Tern, VIP Sword and D3 for DD so first three new MVP DDs might replace those. The plus of MVP DDs are wide weight ranges.

That's fair. I'd seen rim width discussed, but I hadn't seen anyone talk about the fact that the Volt is actually rounded up to 2.0cm in the PDGA approval data and thus the same as the Inertia.

Sure maybe the PDGA is sloppy with these measurements, but I wouldn't count on it.

6th post of the thread below;)
"For example, the 18.5mm (Volt, etc) and 17mm (Servo, etc) fairway classes have both required over a year of development."

From the MVP q and a thread. The step up will be the same from volt to theses as servo is to volt.

I think MVP just uses a different measurement standard.

That quote above with the numbers is direct from Brad and/or Chad in the q&a thread. Considering what they do is fairly precision oriented I think it's a safe bet to go with what they say in terms of the class sizes.

That's fair. I'd seen rim width discussed, but I hadn't seen anyone talk about the fact that the Volt is actually rounded up to 2.0cm in the PDGA approval data and thus the same as the Inertia.

Sure maybe the PDGA is sloppy with these measurements, but I wouldn't count on it.

Unfortunately they're quite inaccurate. I've found it's best to buy a nice pair of calipers if you can and check things out for yourself. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D256411011&field-keywords=digital+calipers

Unfortunately they're quite inaccurate. I've found it's best to buy a nice pair of calipers if you can and check things out for yourself. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D256411011&field-keywords=digital+calipers

Unfortunately you can't prove the the PDGA is inaccurate by measuring some discs you own. It is just as (and probably much more) likely that manufacturers are producing inconsistent discs. It's just silly to think that the PDGA isn't using at least a $30 pair of calipers.

I would believe that the Volt is molding up differently now (with a ~19mm rim) than the three samples sent to the PDGA for approval a year and a half ago. I wouldn't believe that the PDGA managed to be a full 1mm off in the average of three simple measurements with calipers.

I measured the volt with a pair of more then $30 calipers(which is not cheap being you can find them for $10) as stated many many posts back... the issues come in with the +rim not what you measure them with. from the top of the flight plate to the nose is different than the bottom rim lip to the nose.

Last edited:
5jly.png
< Inertia
913p.png
< Volt

this is the difference, can we move along now?...

MVP says:

Volt 18.5
Inertia 20.0

End of story, the manufacturer makes more accurate measurements because they MAKE the disc, PDGA makes trash measurements if they call the volt/Inertia the same.

These must be Innova fanboys blindly following what the PDGA tells them.

Last edited:
I measured the volt with a pair of more then $30 calipers(which is not cheap being you can find them for $10) as stated many many posts back... the issues come in with the +rim not what you measure them with. from the top of the flight plate to the nose is different than the bottom rim lip to the nose.

I could buy this, but the Amp and Shock have the same core. And the Inertia also has a +rim. Anyone from PDGA testing team read these forums?

(sorry for being argumentative but 1. this is the internet 2. I am working through my own disappointment that the Inertia are not likely to be kicking the Lace out of my bag; though it may kick out the Amp)

one picture is just different scale. :p in4d you know MVP is crazy they made gyro up already.

Last edited:
These are the original scale, i took direct copy of these from the profile listed on the MVP webpage.
They are actually slightly out of scale at the source. The rim-only image is scaled arbitrarily to show features. The full profiles below that, however, should be at a consistent scale.

As for the distance class being wider-rimmed, I've held some and they are wider than a Volt, same as the jump from Resistor class to Volt class. There will be some profile comparison pics.

Last edited:
Aim, i never said they were to actual scale, i just said they are the "original scale" from the website. Learn to read, kid. ;)

I wasn't sure so that's why i put it like i did.

im just kidding with you. when I tried to match the profiles up for a comparision with one transparent over the other it was obvious they weren't of the same scale so it was a lost cause.

Ok then, according to ZAM, these are the official, to true scale profiles.. they don't look to be very different after all.

I am 'officially' disappointed that they are not going to be much faster than the current "Fairway Drivers".

z8Gy4zn.png
< Inertia
h9lnWt3.png
< Volt

Last edited:
Just noticed the dome looks thinner and it definitely is not a +mold.. yea the rim is slightly slanted, but that's no plus rim compared to all the discs i have from other manufacturers that slant is the same.

BTW, according to ZAM's claim that these are the real size, the measurements are about the same, like the PDGA says.

The angles and shape is about the only thing that will make this disc "faster".

Last edited:

Latest posts