• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tangent

I think it's a unique one. Flys very similar to my Theorys. It's a funky egg shell off white. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but it's a sweet looking disc. If I throw it flat it dies left pretty quickly. It needs more hyzer! (in Schwarzenegger voice)

Must be a fluke, agreed.

I have 4 Neutron Tangents( 2 white, 1 orange, 1 dark blue) and 2 Proton Tangents(1 ice blue, 1 ice purple). They're all board flat except the dark blue Neutron.

I can't complain about the glide on all the flat ones, it's there in abundance. I can stretch them out as far as my ESP Buzzz's if I try. But for me, the Tangent is what I use to stretch the range of my Proxy, if needed. I have a couple Axis for Buzz-like duty.

The overmolds sit flat when upside down? Doubtful.

"dome" on MVP drivers isnt like any other company really outside of the few pop tops out there.

Last edited:
The overmolds sit flat when upside down? Doubtful.

"dome" on MVP drivers isnt like any other company really outside of the few pop tops out there.

The OM is curved, of course. It's part of the wing. But the flight plate(core) is flat. I have the one slightly domey Tangent to directly compare.

Agree about "dome" on MVP drivers being unique and very minimal, if there at all. But it makes a difference. I have 2 yellow Neutron Inertia's, flat with no dome. I have 2 white Neutron Inertias, slight dome. The white ones crush the yellows in glide. Was disappointed with the 2 yellows, but love the 2 whites!

I can't keep one long enough to wear one in. I don't really lose many discs, yet lost two Neutrons this year. My only issue with this mold is the glide. I forget sometimes about the height requirement and end up way short on some shots.

So I have a slight problem, it's a good problem, but still. I have been throwing the Theory for a while and I love it for long anhyzers or short, straight approaches. I got a Tangent recently in the MVP Secret Santa event and I LOVE it. The "problem" is that they both basically do the same thing at the same distance for me, and I don't know which to bag. I'm thinking bagging both for a while until I can get the time to do a two disc round with both of them alone. Also in the end, I might bag both because the Theory is a tish understable while the Tangent is DEAD straight at about 250-275ft (anything 300+ they're both US).

Any advice on how to pick two discs that fly almost the same and both feel perfectly comfortable in my hand? I can see myself using both pretty regularly for both mid shots and approach shots, but don't know how to choose between them because they're both too good. :wall:

Ive bagged both seperately but they work well together.

Tangent is not as US even at 300'+ vs theory at all.

Took the tangent out of the bag while I gave the theory a good run for its $ and wouldn't be tempted to throw a tangent where I wanted to test out the theory. Needless to say the tangent easily went back in the bag along side the theory and vector with my midrange game officially on lockdown.

The extra HSS and beaded design of the tangent is perfect for longer turnover and high power steep hyzer flips which go straight as well as great range-ability due to its lower glide and speed combo. Couldn't be happier with the midrange set up right now!

for me it just comes down to a little easier low line throwing and greater wind resistance over the deeper ion/anode.

The tangent is like those 2 discs thrown into a midrange, really so makes sense. I went hard with tangents in the bag and then took them out for a while but since putting one back in ive been very pleased. Just covers some shots a putter doesn't and more US mid or OS mid literally cannot. I throw ions/anodes plenty far as well as proxy/envy but the tangent really is the best option for versatility.

Any advice on how to pick two discs that fly almost the same and both feel perfectly comfortable in my hand? I can see myself using both pretty regularly for both mid shots and approach shots, but don't know how to choose between them because they're both too good. :wall:

Ah, first world problems...

My TL, River, and FD overlap, so I'm told. I carry all three. Because I want to. I throw the one that is best for the situation at the time.

So I have a slight problem, it's a good problem, but still. I have been throwing the Theory for a while and I love it for long anhyzers or short, straight approaches. I got a Tangent recently in the MVP Secret Santa event and I LOVE it. The "problem" is that they both basically do the same thing at the same distance for me, and I don't know which to bag. I'm thinking bagging both for a while until I can get the time to do a two disc round with both of them alone. Also in the end, I might bag both because the Theory is a tish understable while the Tangent is DEAD straight at about 250-275ft (anything 300+ they're both US).

Tangent will be a little better in the wind.

Tossing mine around the yard.

Seems like a very controllable disc. Likes alot of different lines. Only have about 250 ft of space or the woods will eat it so cant power it up yet.

I wanna say its the only small diameter mid besides a gator I've ever tossed.

I got a orange one from AIM. A 2015 circuit, not sure of the plastic yet. Orange is my favorite color by chance also (score!). I really like the stamp also.

I was surprised when i threw a nose up powered down hyzer and it was heading right for the pool. It looked like it was fading right into the middle of the pool. I thought it did but didn't hear a splash. I go to grab a rake and its sitting like 60ft further besides a shed.

My first impression was that it came out of the hand very fast but slowed down quickly. Like how large diameter glide more vs small diameter. But after that shot above in particular and a few others I'm not sure.

More testing.

Tangent will be a little better in the wind.

While this is true, it will still be nigh useless in a legitimate wind.

If you were going to choose one over the other, I personally would make the decision based on what you need it to more, or what you need to happen less. For example, the disc that ultimately booted the Tangent out of my bag was the Proxy (though first adding a Theory helped make the Tangent's departure possible). The reason I chose the Proxy over the Tangent is because it has better HSS. Just based on my bag, game, etc, I used the Tangent most for tight tunnel shots. These often went awry when I turned the Tangent over too much. So finding something that could finish with equally minimal fade but was more resistant to unintentionally turning over made the choice relatively easy. I sacrificed a few things, notably distance and some easier mid-range S curves, but for what I needed this sacrifice was worth it.

If you really want to make the "right" decision, I'd suggest playing with first one, then the other, to figure out what you really want from that slot and which can serve that need the best. Of course, as others have said, the answer might just be to carry both. Many of us deal with some overlap; it's just a matter of having a good reason to have that overlap.

While this is true, it will still be nigh useless in a legitimate wind.

If you were going to choose one over the other, I personally would make the decision based on what you need it to more, or what you need to happen less. For example, the disc that ultimately booted the Tangent out of my bag was the Proxy (though first adding a Theory helped make the Tangent's departure possible). The reason I chose the Proxy over the Tangent is because it has better HSS. Just based on my bag, game, etc, I used the Tangent most for tight tunnel shots. These often went awry when I turned the Tangent over too much. So finding something that could finish with equally minimal fade but was more resistant to unintentionally turning over made the choice relatively easy. I sacrificed a few things, notably distance and some easier mid-range S curves, but for what I needed this sacrifice was worth it.

If you really want to make the "right" decision, I'd suggest playing with first one, then the other, to figure out what you really want from that slot and which can serve that need the best. Of course, as others have said, the answer might just be to carry both. Many of us deal with some overlap; it's just a matter of having a good reason to have that overlap.

That's why I said a "little better" in the wind than the Theory. Neutral stability vs understable.

Tossing mine around the yard.

Seems like a very controllable disc. Likes alot of different lines. Only have about 250 ft of space or the woods will eat it so cant power it up yet.

I wanna say its the only small diameter mid besides a gator I've ever tossed.

I got a orange one from AIM. A 2015 circuit, not sure of the plastic yet. Orange is my favorite color by chance also (score!). I really like the stamp also.

I was surprised when i threw a nose up powered down hyzer and it was heading right for the pool. It looked like it was fading right into the middle of the pool. I thought it did but didn't hear a splash. I go to grab a rake and its sitting like 60ft further besides a shed.

My first impression was that it came out of the hand very fast but slowed down quickly. Like how large diameter glide more vs small diameter. But after that shot above in particular and a few others I'm not sure.

More testing.

Tangent still flying around? I really like the plasma run i semnt you. Fly like good protons but look sexy!

--Necrobumping the Tangent thread--

Little bit of background: I typically carry a UPD Rebel full of discs, and I've always been a big Roc thrower. I played some back to back rounds at my two local courses last weekend and was just really frustrated with my play over those rounds. It seemed like I was forcing everything, causing me to miss lines, roll my wrist, throw nose up, etc.

So last night I needed to just take a step back and try something new. I played with a 4 disc bag, none of which I typically bag except the putting putter. The midrange I threw in was a 176g Neutron Tangent. This was previously a disc I had tried, and dismissed it for being "too flippy".

So I'm focusing on my smooth throw last night, and I was really surprised at what you're able to make this disc do.
It's so stable at high speeds, yet when it fades with a flat throw it really just drops flat when it runs out of juice. I was able to make it hold hyzers with pretty good snap and keep that angle, on a flat hard rip it just goes on a slow rope until it falls out of the air flat. and on short-mid length anhyzer shots it holds the angle and starts to pan like 5ft from the ground.

It's such an interesting disc to me, if I had to give it numbers I'd say 4/3/0/1

It just doesn't really glide, but doesn't really fade, closest thing I have is my Serpent, but it's much shorter.

I'm sorry for the long-winded post, but I think I'm gonna have to substitute a Roc in my bag for this thing and give it a real chance, I need to see if it's just a utility disc, or if it's really a viable workhorse mid.

I will say your thoughts are bang on... the Tangent crept into my bag as a replacement for a couple molds. Personally at the three year mark mine has become a touch too understable for me and I haven't played with my backup enough but that's my problem haha.

There's a lot of holes here at the 180-260' range with tight fairways. It used to fit into the bag as the stable straight slot especially downhill and paired with a Comet. I can't put my finger on why it was preferred to the Theory for me, I think it was just that it was always landing in the right spot and not overshooting

Last edited:
I don't love the way it fits in my hand but I do like that it just does what I tell it to. so if it just hyzers out on me, I know that I put too much hyzer on it, because I know it's not a meathook or anything like that.

Hate to be that guy but it makes me want to check out more MVP stuff. Just really like the way this disc flies.

The Tangent is a good disc. I haven't thrown one in a while, but my Neutron Tangent was a very straight disc with a hint of turnover. I threw it into the basket from 200 ft. out on an uphill shot once; that'll make one fall in love with a disc. I need to dig mine out and go throw it around some...

For a while I bagged Tangent and Axis.

Still use the Tangent every now and then. Like it in light winds, 5 to 10 mph.