• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

The TL doesn't power down nearly as well as the Volt, and it's turn and fade action aren't as consistent/predictable. It's the nature of the L type wing vs the x type wing. I also feel the difference of the gyro compared to discs like the Saint and TL. I can throw the Volt slower and just snap it with a lot of spin and it responds much more than other discs would on the same type throw. I think this is part of why it powers down so well.

I've messed with a lot of discs with the same general stability as the Volt over the years but they all seemed to have clear strengths and obvious weaknesses regarding their role. The Volt just has so many strengths and I've yet to find a weakness in the straight control driver role.

I apologize if it seems like i'm trashing the volt. I definitely don't have an issue with it. And I agree, the TL does a pretty terrible job of powering down. I think I was just trying to calm some of the hype behind the volt, I think it does it's just very well. I just didn't find it revolutionary, or irreplaceable. It definitely is a solid disc and will definitely act as a good control driver.

snap your wrist and get the gryo **** cookin = profit

A little part of me dies every time someone talks about gyro technology. I don't know why. I think it makes me sad that people treat mvp discs as magical discs rather than just good discs. Also, I don't think many people have a great understanding of gyroscopics.

Edit: I hope that doesn't sound like I'm upset with your response. I just wanted to share my feelings. I'm not upset with your comment :D

that is just a cop out of a response. i own every mvp disc they make and sometimes i really feel im throwing a 'cheater' disc. please tell me how the gyro doesnt hugely aid in stability

that is just a cop out of a response. i own every mvp disc they make and sometimes i really feel im throwing a 'cheater' disc. please tell me how the gyro doesnt hugely aid in stability

That is exactly what I mean. How do you know the gyro is magically making it stable? Just because they make good discs doesn't mean that everything is gyrating all over itself. Other companies make stable discs too. I think MVP discs are great I just don't want to hear the word gyro every second when people really mean that they like MVP discs.

If you can explain to me mathematically how the gyro technology works, I will accept your response as valid. If not, gyrate the night away about MVP discs.

I apologize if it seems like i'm trashing the volt. I definitely don't have an issue with it. And I agree, the TL does a pretty terrible job of powering down. I think I was just trying to calm some of the hype behind the volt, I think it does it's just very well. I just didn't find it revolutionary, or irreplaceable. It definitely is a solid disc and will definitely act as a good control driver.

It's absolutely no big deal. I'm pretty used to other people not necessarily getting the same kind of results Mike C and I get out of our MVP discs. They are not suitable with every style of throw/release. For some people the difference is obvious, for others they just fly like any other disc. This is the nature of the game and why there are so many discs out there.

You said you like to throw with hyzer primarily, so it would make sense to me that the Volt would not be as versatile/useful for you. I like to throw near flat most the time, and I like throwing hyzers with hyzer and anhyzers with anhyzer. For me the Volt responds beautifully to my different release angles.

Even so I think you should throw the thing so more (which I'm sure you plan on doing) and see if you warm up to it. Looking at your bag in your sig I see that it would probably have to kick one or two things out to make the cut, so that would be quite a commitment. For me the Volt didn't really force anything out (except a QJ I threw rarely and a flippy SPD), so I didn't have any tough decisions to make.

If you can explain to me mathematically how the gyro technology works, I will accept your response as valid. If not, gyrate the night away about MVP discs.

i dont care about the math. i care that when i throw an mvp disc flat it lands next to the basket.

A little part of me dies every time someone talks about gyro technology. I don't know why. I think it makes me sad that people treat mvp discs as magical discs rather than just good discs. Also, I don't think many people have a great understanding of gyroscopics.

Edit: I hope that doesn't sound like I'm upset with your response. I just wanted to share my feelings. I'm not upset with your comment :D

That is exactly what I mean. How do you know the gyro is magically making it stable? Just because they make good discs doesn't mean that everything is gyrating all over itself. Other companies make stable discs too. I think MVP discs are great I just don't want to hear the word gyro every second when people really mean that they like MVP discs.

I must admit that I cringe sometimes when I read certain posts about MVP and gyro that really don't make any sense...I think, geez this makes it seem like a bunch of mumbo jumbo. The fact is that the greatly simplified term "Gyro" is a marketing device. It kind of just conveys a general idea that most people have some familiarity with.

There is something there though...I've been throwing MVP discs long enough now that I can definitely say that I feel the difference out of my hand and see it in the flights. I can't explain the science (even if I could I probably couldn't share) in technical terms and math. However, it seems pretty intuitive that adding weight to the outside of a spinning object will make it spin easier and longer. Tape a dime to a length of dental floss and spin it in a circle above your head. Repeat the same with a quarter. Which keeps spinning easier once you get it going? Which stays spinning longer?

However, it seems pretty intuitive that adding weight to the outside of a spinning object will make it spin easier and longer. Tape a dime to a length of dental floss and spin it in a circle above your head. Repeat the same with a quarter. Which keeps spinning easier once you get it going? Which stays spinning longer?

This sounds like something straight out of Bill Nye the Science Guy. My inner-10-year-old is rejoicing.

I absolutely agree that the idea behind gryo technology helps their discs. And I understand hoe gyros work. But I also agree with you that people mystify MVP discs.

I support MVP, I just don't support over zealous favoritism of their discs. Or people gyrating for gyro technology all over these forums.

The bandwagon effect exists independently of MVP and DG...It's just part of human group behavior, and we're a group of humans.

Contentment means a level of happiness.

contention* and i just bought an anode one day because it looked cool and noticed it flew really straight and flat. hadn't heard of mvp until that point. honestly i only see 13 year olds throwing mvps around here i didnt think they were that popular..

I just realized this discussion was missing something. United Puppy Slayer. Wonder where he is.

I think the gyro effect is HUGE in their putters... But with the wider wings, the effect is loss, esp when the other disc company's have thin flight plates and heavy wide wings as well. Much of the wing is base plastic with only maybe half being the over molded plastic? Seemed like their putter over molded portion was reduculoius by other putter standards and the driver not so much. Does any one feel that the ion is more stable then the volt or am I just wrong here? I still love the advancements MVP is making in disc design, longggg over due!

I think the gyro effect is HUGE in their putters... But with the wider wings, the effect is loss, esp when the other disc company's have thin flight plates and heavy wide wings as well. Much of the wing is base plastic with only maybe half being the over molded plastic? Seemed like their putter over molded portion was reduculoius by other putter standards and the driver not so much. Does any one feel that the ion is more stable then the volt or am I just wrong here? I still love the advancements MVP is making in disc design, longggg over due!

You are right that mids and putters are more gyroscopic by nature than drivers because they have so much more plastic near the outside edge of the disc. So MVP's putters and mids are more gyroscopic, just as every other companies are as well. Like you I originally thought there might be less gains with drivers due to their design. When I talked to the MVP guys about this they saw it very differently. Because drivers are less gyroscopic there is even more ground to be gained over the competition. The Volt has significantly more mass concentrated in it's outside edge compared to standard drivers. So there will be a greater contrast between MVP drivers and standard drivers then there is between MVP's mids/putters and standard mids/putters. The Volt seems to support this.

The Ion is more stable than the Volt and that is fact. That has nothing to do with gyro and everything to do with the wing designs.

I think the main reason some people don't see a huge difference is because they don't get enough spin on MVP's discs. The first time I threw one I really didn't notice anything and switched back to buzzzes. I later developed my form some and I get a lot more spin on my throws. The difference in the axis is night and day. It holds any line if you get enough spin on it. I am a believer in MVP for sure.

Correct^^^
Like my dental floss dime/quarter example above, more mass on the outside edge will require more force to get spinning, but once it is there it will keep spinning longer. It's the same with MVP discs...They do take a bit more to get going, but keep spinning longer if you can fulfill that requirement.

Latest posts