• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some help with my form!!!

What I ended up doing was keeping my legs bent and nose over toes, did the reach back to get my front foot on the toes then push of the instep of my rear foot to bring the front heel down. After that I started pulling through and pushed my front heel into the ground to spring the front leg up to stiffen it and brace. This had some pretty good results and it felt pretty good as well.
The question I have though is this. Should the front leg be stiff as soon as the heel is brought down or a little bit later like I was doing?
Do you land from a jump/fall with stiff legs? Do you have to adjust your landing/spring coil from varying heights/forces?

Slowplastic, I think I know what u mean. My shoulders should be completely in line with each other right? After seeing ur post I went through the motion and noticed I'm rounding my throwing shoulder forward, or pushing it out of socket. Didn't even realize I was doing this :).

Yeah that's exactly what I'm meaning. Luckily I found it pretty easy to work out of my form within a couple sessions.

You're trying to emulate what a good throw looks like, not what it feels like. You're walking backwards at the target and then lifting your rear foot and hopping with the front foot, trying to copy what it looks like to have the rear foot drive forward and the front hip rise.

Instead you should feel like you're gliding through the X-step, then loaded on the rear instep in order to drive into the brace/plant. When you brace your momentum correctly, you will rise up and be in balance. Every position you try to get into, is the cause of a step or two before it. Concentrate on feel and flow, try to feel that shift.

Ok that makes sense. I think I'm going to stick with doing standstill for awhile until everything becomes muscle memory.

I had a 'ah hah' moment at work today as well. I was going through the motions of crush the can and the butt wipe drill and found that when I bring my weight forward with my butt toward the target and drop my heel and begin the turn at a really slow pace I started feeling a ton of pressure in my front hip. This is where alot of the torque comes from right?

Only issue I had with that is when I was doing it really slow and got to the point of all the pressure I couldn't stiffen my front leg, it felt like I was gonna blow a hole through my hip or something. I was thinking that it could have been from my plant foots toes being 180 degrees from where the target would be, cuz the pressure seemed to be less if I moved those toes clockwise more. Any thoughts?

Definitely the right direction. To start with though your right foot is too heel skywards/toe down/backwards...so as you are planting it down you hare having to rotate it. Instead it should be coming down slightly toe-heel and closed, so that you can shift into it rather than pre-spinning with it (you need all the force to come into it, not have it lead the throw). You are also landing on the front leg with it too straight, so to stay behind the brace you have to be angled well behind the foot. If your leg is slightly bend and ready to absorb and extend then you can stay balanced on top of the brace. Finally, your rear foot is acting as a counterbalance rather than shifting and then acting as a counterbalance, but I think this is because you are leading the rotation with the right foot/hip as I mentioned above. Again, this is the right direction from before, but still lots of little things that will greatly change how much momentum is moving into the brace. As far as upper body, you need to keep the reachback lower, like sternum height or around the rear elbow. With it getting up so high it's throwing off the swing plane and getting your shoulder out. Also looking at the camera doesn't help heh

Watch the vids in post #6 and 14. When you plant your front heel, you still have your rear heel on the ground, so your weight is still stuck on the back foot. You also are not tilted forward chest toward knees like in tilted spiral #2, so your right shoulder is way too high coming forward - your right shoulder be hanging loose below your chin and swing it like a pendulum back and forth underneath your chin and other shoulder - Reciprocating Dingle Arm. Helps to swing/toss something heavy around or pretend you are swinging/tossing something really heavy.

Your finish should be balanced on the front foot, you are having to reverse back to your rear foot.

Ok I'm definitely going to work on all of this and will hopefully post a video in a few days to see if I make any more progress.

Thanks again slowplastic and sidewinder for helping me out :)

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/M5cdiT8j1bs

These didn't feel quite right, but I think there is some progress. What do you guys think? It's been really cold here in northern michigan lately so I have only been out to the course a few times in the last couple weeks, mostly been doing inside practice.

1. Your head is past/behind/outside your rear foot/leaning over during the stride to plant. From a standstill your head should never go outside/past either foot. You can't really turn/load internally upright inside your posture and leverage your whole-self forward if your head is outside it. (see Understanding Weightshift in post #14)

2. You turn your front foot/leg open before your weight shifts forward to it. (see Crush the Can/s and Best Downswing Weighshift in posts #13/14/17)

3. You are kicking the wall with your front foot well before your hip/butt would hit the wall:

Ok thanks sidewinder, ill work on these and post another video once I feel like some progress has been made.

On a side note, I watched a clinic by ricky wysocki that said he shoves off the rear foot to drive his momentum/weight forward, and I know your suppose to brace against the front foot, so do you shove off the rear foot to drive the weight and get the hand to the right peck and then brace against the front to force the arm to shoot open? I guess I'm a little confused by this.

Your arm should not really move until you are balanced/posted on your front leg to then swing and leverage from.

That changes everything for me!!! I usually start pulling earlier than that, this is going to help alot. I tried this for about half an hour and it feels way more powerful than before. Thank you, now back to crushing cans, and hershyzering the wall to make sure I'm getting that correct :)

So it's been awhile since I posted anything, and I haven't really made much progress, getting on that plant foot did help but I've come to realize that I am not really utilizing my hips correctly. I came across a reddit comment by roflsocks (second post down in this link https://m.reddit.com/r/discgolf/com...urce=amp&utm_medium=comment_list&compact=true )

Is this something I should follow? After seeing this post I started looking up how to create torque with the hips and found a baseball video explaining how to create more torque that basically says to push the rear knee target wards and straighten the plant leg at the same time. Is this something I should be doing? Here is the baseball video link https://youtu.be/CMxUuUz6IDk

Knees are not designed to rotate. Knees are designed flex and extend. The baseball player guy is spinning out his rear foot aka squishing the bug which is not proper technique in any sport. The rear heel should end up spinning the opposite direction targetward into eversion! If you roll your rear foot to the inside edge/instep and push your heel forward, your shin/knee will angulate targetward under your hip and maintain leverage/torque.

Watch how Griffey's rear foot everts forward as the heel comes off the ground targetward - it doesn't spin out away from the target:

Ok I see it now, the heel going forward is the result of pushing the momentum forward from the instep of the ball of the foot.

Is this sequence of events correct?

1. Drop to heel of plant foot with butt towards target.
2. Push off rear foot instep while maintaining plant foot position creating the "squeeze between the knees"
3. Push off plant leg extending the knee to allow hips to open and the pressure to release.

Is that accurate for the lower body portion?

1 and 2 are basically at the same time... front heel goes down while rear heel goes up and/or forward.