• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some help with my form!!!

Yeah i was just trying to get in that position. But if im thinking about it right this is what is suppose to happen.
1. Push off instep of rear foot.
2. Fall/squat onto the front instep/heel
3. Stiffen front knee causing rear leg to shift forward and hips to fire...
4. Shoulder follows hips, arm follows shoulder etc.

I hope i have this right. One leg drill shows that everything comes down to the plant leg but in all honesty the rear leg is sort of a conundrum for me. In all of videos i have watched of koling, mcbeth, feldberg, lizotte, wiggins, gurthie, etc it looks as though they stiffen the rear leg and sort of roll off of it into the brace like a windshield wiper kind of:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 200w.jpg
    200w.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
That was suppose to be GIF, but picture arnies forearm as the leg with his elbow being the foot. I hope that makes sense

The key to me is that you push off the instep of your rear foot, directing your left/rear side targetward behind your right hip. Once you catch the weight on your right heel (by falling onto it to an extent) the right hip will clear backward as the left hip goes forward. The directions the hips move should be automatic if you were shifting your left hip backward toward the target. Since the right hip will then be going backward the front knee will extend to an extent as well.

It's tricky because a lot of things you see are caused by the step before it...so if all is well with a few of the key points, when you film yourself the next stage will look correct even if you didn't focus on it. When certain things aren't right that's when it has to be broken down more.

I would focus on the shift from behind right now, getting into the position you had in that picture and directing your momentum correctly. I would be weary of "firing the hips" as for some people that is ok, for others it can lead to firing the left hip around/forward and shifting in front and to the left, rather than actually shifting targetward as a unit and then countering your balance.

Im pushing into the ground with my heel/instep of the plant foot which shoves my femur into the pelvis forcing my hips to rotate, not sure if thats correct or not, but it seems to me like that goes more with the from the ground up thinking and linear momentum stuff. Its hard to describe what things "feel like" and what im doing, its hard to know if what im typing here makes sense haha

But basically im not using hip muscles to rotate or anything like that

I'll have to see video of any changes with driving the weight behind you, but as you said it's really hard to describe especially when people are coming from different "normal" feel of what they do. I will say that comparing a shift from in front (incorrect) it feels like there is more pressure into the ground through the plant foot and more pressure in my right femur, because I am relying on all of the pressure through my leg to push my weight to the left side of my body, preventing blowing past my plant foot. In comparison when shifting from behind and having my pelvis swing back and counter my torso, everything just releases and I feel less pressure on the ground since my weight is fixing/balancing itself rather than having to fight against the ground to maintain balance.

Let me see if i understand correctly, if im picking up what ur laying down then im definitely doing the incorrect ^^^ thing.
What your saying is
1. pushing off the rear instep should rotate my left hip targetward
2 then when the plant foot plants and the leg stiffens taking the weight off the rear leg
3. The pressure pushing the rear hip towards the target is gone which would cause it to spring around
4. And the plant foot helps by pushing the front hip backwards...

Is that close?

Yeah that's much closer. In #2 when the plant foot is planting you should feel the spring load (#3) and during that unwinding is when the front leg stiffens.

Have a read through here, and try the door frame drill that is embedded. You should feel the spring load effect and how everything should release once you plant the heel. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127477

Thanks slowplastic for the help and patience. I really appreciate it. It seems as though i have been ingraining the wrong things into muscle memory. Im gonna keep practicing all the drills with this new idea in mind.

So from watching some of my videos ive noticed i dont plant closed as much as i should be. Im about six inches off i think. Instead of my rear toes lining up with the back of my plant foot im lined up with the arch of my rear foot to the back of my plant foot.
Will changing this help? In practice it shortens my stride, and i can feel alot more pressure through the thigh of the rear leg. I havent been able to test it in the field yet though. Wanted to know what u guys think

Yeah being more closed definitely helps/enables you to turn more back and into the shift. You'll be able to drive your left side toward the target easier because it'll be more exposed to the target (or it will feel more natural to do so).

I'd actually focus on how it feels to shift from behind properly and conserve/keep your momentum going in one direction while throwing in an open area rather than trying to hit a specific tunnel. If you notice your shots are all 5 degrees right for example, you'll know to re-align your stride rather than try to throw more left. Meaning you're actually releasing properly but simply aligned wrong.

https://youtu.be/HrvPamFL7ws

Alright had the chance to get some behind footage. I planted more to the left like i was saying before, but.... Now it looks like im rounding... Right? Good news that my distance disnt decrease at all so if i can pull on a straighter line i should be able to hit longer distance hopefully.

So without further ado... What am i ****ing up now? :)

Last edited:
You are striding backwards instead of lateral/sideways, so your knees never crossover each other, and your front shin is going horizontal as your knees separate, instead of striding/gliding forward. You would be kicking the wall way early in the Hershyzer instead of hitting the wall with your butt.

Wow... I watched that video a ton trying to find things myself and the striding backwards thing waskicking me in the face the whole time!!! Definitely going to fix that right away and then watch the heshyzer video a dozen times :) i probably would have never noticed the backwards striding thing so huge thank you sidewinder, its completely obvious now

https://youtu.be/W3J13nT6qAI

Here's an updated video. I'm no longer putting a ton of force into my front leg to initiate the rotation, instead its coming from a mix of the rear leg and front leg. I'm hoping this is more on the right track.

Also I took a hammer outside and tried throwing it and it went off to the right about 45 degrees. I'm thinking this might be because I'm accelerating way to early. So I tried going into the field with a few discs to concentrate on accelerating later and threw my axiom alias dead straight with a very slight hyzer and it went about 290' so how late is the acceleration suppose to happen? It already seems to be further out than I had thought before

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Also that throw felt pretty effortless from a standstill. Probably only about 60 to 70 percent power behind it.

Sounds terrifying over there. Need to keep your balance and posture inside the rear foot to turn the rear hip targetward. See how your rear knee(and everything else) goes behind the ankle in the backswing, kills leverage back forward.
D0hxING.png

Watch these again a few times and do everything along with it especially the first one:

Haha yeah my 3 year old was watching power rangers. I edited the video with my sound off so I didn't even realize.

I was watching the distance with Dion video again and noticed that he was turning his plant foot almost 180 degrees from the target during his standstill then dropping onto the heel. I was trying it out and noticed I could keep my left hip turned further and for longer than I could previously. I was feeling some major pressure on my plant leg hip doing this as well. Is this something I should incorporate?

Your front side looks better and agree with Dion although it's not extreme as 180 degrees it's actually closer to 90 degrees(around 100-120 maybe) to the target line on a left to right distance shot.

Not sure what kind of pressure you are talking about on the front hip. You should feel compression or weight pinning you against the ground in dynamic upright posture through the whole leg, but never any pressure that would lead to pain by being out of posture or balance that would single out one joint in the leg.

I just made the adjustment to stay within my "A" frame and that definitely feels alot better. Usually when I drop my front foot my hips start opening and my arm moves targetward slightly, but that adjustment makes it so that doesn't happen and feels more powerful. I'm definitely going to revisit all of your videos, everytime I watch them something new clicks.

So I've been trying to get that left hip more towards the target in the backswing and I felt some pressure in my "rear butt" and inner thigh, like those muscles were actually engaged. Is this the correct feeling? And after getting to that point I drop to the plant leg heel and push the "gas" with the left foot as soon as the plant heel drops correct?

I'm just trying to see if the feeling and timing of that motion is correct...