• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some help with my form!!!

Nevermind. I watched the Hogan power video and I have been attempting that the entire time. Using the feet to turn my hips. Only after I heard i needed to get the rear hip more targetward did I try actively rotating it more...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Okay. So if what I just did is what is suppose to be in a disc golf throw I'm going to feel absolutely retarded haha.

So I was throwing stuff at work and I would push from my right foot into the left foot plant when my arm was all the way back, my hips would turn after the plant then my arm would come through and the right foot everted and I finished in the upright balance with the foot tipped up and the right leg right next to me... Now is this what its suppose to be like with disc golf?
Push from left foot into plant turning the hips and letting the torso twist in the opposite direction then pull through?
If that's right then I've been over thinking and overdoing it big time...

https://youtu.be/QvyZtyxpxnE

Went super basic here. I didn't try thinking of anything or trying anything specific except what I wrote up above. Basically tried thinking of it like I would normally just throw a baseball like I stated above. Is this closer in the most basic sense?

On the backswing I'm still outside my "a frame". The arm looks better to me but my shoulder gets to high and my rear foot is everting and my shin is pointing more towards the target. Front foot doesn't open until after the hit.
What am I doing right here if anything. Does the sequence itself look better?
It feels like a completely different throw from what I was doing before in all honesty. With that in mind if the sequence itself looks better then ill go back and do the drills over and over while doing this sequence.

Much better and as you noted, stay more on the inside edge of the rear foot in the backswing.

Awesome that is great news. Just gotta get this ingrained into muscle memory after doing all those drills again. It really does almost feel like im starting from scratch again, but thats ok. Most important thing for me is to prevent injury at this point. The way i was doing it before was giving me some pain in the front knee. Thanks again sidewinder for putting in the time to get this stuff through my thick skull.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

LOL at the kid doing a hand-stand on the recliner while the toddler is about to grab decorations off the bookshelf. Looks like you've got your hands full.

Absolutely!! I have another one due in November too lol. The one doing the handstand is 3 and the other is 1.5. Its kind of like a tornado around here, no matter how much I clean they are right behind tearing things apart haha

Well I havent posted in a while but I feel like I've made some progress. Just had a quick question. In the dave feldberg hip to the sky video he mentions bringing that rear leg into the plant leg.
Ive been doing this in my backyard and I'm going to try and explain what I'm doing.

1. Plant heel
2. Hips slide from behind/back to the target
3. Stiffen plant leg
4. As forward swing initiates rear leg follows
5. Outward pull/ leg counters "if I wasn't braced I'd fall on my ass"
6. Follow through ends facing the target and balanced entirely on my plant foot. I don't feel as though I need to put rear foot down at all.

My rear leg comes in to the other and counters differently for hyzer, flat, and anhyzer release.
Looking behind feel as towards target:
Hyzer = the foot is farther to the right
Flat = foot still to the right but nowhere near hyzer release
Anhyzer= more of a spin around.

Is bringing the whole leg forward ok?
Does all that sound correct?

The disc has more spin and velocity from the looks of it but am basically throwing into a fence from 150 to 200 ft as that's all my backyard allows.

Suppose to say "looking behind tee towards target" not "looking behind feel as target" stupid auto correct

Slow down everything so you are fully on your front leg before swinging. Your full whip is a griplock to the right as you open up too quick. Swing a sledgehammer smoothly, instead of trying to crack a towel.

Does the back leg look ok? Weight shift and balance look ok to u also?

I definitely need to work on WHEN to accelerate, that's what causes gridlock right? Or Is that rounding?

Back leg looks ok, but your aren't quite making it onto your front leg because the stride is too far and too eager to start swinging. You are accelerating everything too early. You need to slow down the start of your swing to the point it will probably feel ridiculously slow or too late. Too late is better than too early.

First frame your towel is already taut, it should be hanging down loose still.
Second frame your towel is coming downward over the top/nose up/off plane. It should just be starting to go taut here from under your hand.
Third frame your elbow is still bent with shoulders wide open and towel has not been flung around completely forward yet. Try closed shoulder drill with towel or tossing a hammer.
NoWpa6l.png

Oh wow. The start of the acceleration is a lot later than I thought. Basically after the outward pull is when u want to accelerate then. That's crazy. After watching the video I seen my stride was pretty wide but thought that since I ended up balanced I was ok. Any weight sledgehammer u suggest?

Right you don't really want to accelerate until you are loaded in the power zone to accelerate faster outward away from your body. It's basically just momentum bringing the disc into the power zone with you just guiding it along. Early speed means nothing if your mass is not behind it and makes it 100x harder to actually accelerate faster instead of decelerating. You want to be accelerating through the hit with all your mass leveraged behind it. Force=m*a.

So just using some rudimentary math concepts if only the mass of your arm is coupled with the acceleration, then your force to the disc=1200N=20lbs*60mph. Alternatively your force to the disc=10,000N =200lbs*50mph. So you are better off giving up 10mph arm speed to apply more force to the disc. This is where arm speed really means nothing until you already are using all your mass.

Regarding stride length, you aren't finishing balanced on the front leg - you are getting pulled off your front foot in the finish toward the left, you should finish more to the right of a braced front leg if your rear side comes through forward. A shorter more compact stride is much more efficient, quickly changing the acceleration and direction.

Most normal size hammer is fine or short handle sledge up to 3-5lbs. You should never be jerky with it, always smooth and relaxed yet deliberate with the head end. If you are going to actually release the head of the hammer with any kind of speed you better be outside and toss it, or actually hammer into something inside you don't care about.

Alright thanks again sidewinder! Now if I go outside with the hammer it should come out of my hand straight at the target, but if I decide to hit something inside should I be striking the head of the hammer to the right or straight in front towards the target? Just so I know where to put the object

Hammer head flush to target, first point of contact is basically where SC is hitting the door frame just behind front foot.

Just a quick observation/question...

I watched the closed shoulder snap drill and he says that he isn't really moving his shoulders.
I was doing my throw really slow and noticed I move my right shoulder considerably. Like if u roll ur shoulder forward then pull it back, that's what I'm doing before I get to the power zone, I think u can see it in previous videos it looks like I'm bunching up my shoulder to my head essentially.

The question is: is the shoulder suppose to stay in a closed/forward position until after the hit/disc release?

Latest posts