• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some help with my form!!!

Just a quick observation/question...

I watched the closed shoulder snap drill and he says that he isn't really moving his shoulders.
I was doing my throw really slow and noticed I move my right shoulder considerably. Like if u roll ur shoulder forward then pull it back, that's what I'm doing before I get to the power zone, I think u can see it in previous videos it looks like I'm bunching up my shoulder to my head essentially.

The question is: is the shoulder suppose to stay in a closed/forward position until after the hit/disc release?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Your shoulders should move considerably during a full throw, but only a tiny bit in closed shoulder drill. Your shoulders/body almost need to stop or slow down in order to whip release the arm away from the body. To me it feels closed through the hit, although on video I'm slightly open. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

There are variances as to how far open the shoulders are at release which from what I can tell is mostly due to body type differences. Stouter guys like GG and Wiggins tend to keep the front shoulder more closed. Lanky guys like Lizotte and Schusterick tend to open their skinny shoulders more or are just faster with smaller radius to turn about.

Well its been awhile, but I have really been working on stride length, shoulder position, elbow forward, and holding til 4 o'clock, as well as keeping my head and rear knee inside my A frame.
This throw was with my neutron proxy putter and it went about 270 to 280ft.

My breakdown of distances these days is:

Putter 270-290
Mids 300-320
Fairways 330-350
Drivers 350-375

I'm obviously still missing something crucial. I feel with decent form and holding until 4 o'clock should get to 400ft at the least.

I should note that overstable fairways and drivers are at the lower end of those ranges while understable discs are at the higher ranges. Anyways here's a new video. I apologize in advance for the camera angle, my dad recorded it.

https://youtu.be/2wlXAB87UtY

You look too crouched down low in x-step and not getting off the rear foot before you plant, you also plant the front foot turned open. You want to be upright/tall in x-step so you can fall into the plant closed.

Thanks sidewinder that makes a lot of sense. I need to extend the rear leg/ gas pedal upwards and forwards like I'm standing on my tippy toes? And then drop into my plant. Do I have that right? Just trying out standing here it feels pretty powerful.

Thanks sidewinder that makes a lot of sense. I need to extend the rear leg/ gas pedal upwards and forwards like I'm standing on my tippy toes? And then drop into my plant. Do I have that right? Just trying out standing here it feels pretty powerful.

Pretty much, although it's hard to explain. The rear knee needs to flex/squat as you fall/drop into the plant while the rear foot extends. Most players tend to hop to make this swivel easier.

Just trying it out here at work I can feel my flutes activate a lot more than before and after planting my body wants to unwind a lot faster like in the door frame drill.

Try the motion with some more flow/tempo/pace as well. Even if you aren't throwing try going through it at different speeds to feel the rhythm. Once you have felt it, which is easier at a faster speed or with a hop due to necessity, you can then take it back to a more casual and balanced pace but maintain the same feeling.

https://youtu.be/IhmTsUPhY-E

Trying to stay on the balls of my feet throughout as it helps with flow where I use to go heel to toe on the first step with the right foot. But staying on the balls of my feet like that makes it feel way to fast.

With that being said it was really hit or miss out in the field. I was only getting an Axiom Proxy out to 250 using GPS with a max of 275 on a couple throws. Also staying on the balls of my feet on that first step made it a little harder to turn back in the reach back as much as I use to. I've been working on this for almost 2 years now and while I have seen some progress I'm still not hitting that initial goal of 400.
Any advice here?

https://youtu.be/nFmghMwgv10

https://youtu.be/t0d_y0tsmJI

Also have to apologize my phone isn't recording correctly anymore and I'm not sure how to fix it. Here is two different side views with and without that tippy toe drop thing. Trying to see which one looks better/closer to correct. I am recording widescreen here but for some reason it ends up like that... Again I apologize

On the side view it looks to me like you're going over the top instead of getting the lower spine onto the front leg and clearing the front hip to initiate the rotation. You are landing and thinking about rotating the shoulders, the spine is upright and shoulders leading the throw. The spine is essentially still balanced on the rear leg, and the rear leg just kind of comes forward and squishes at the brace rather than having leveraged the mass/pelvis/spine targetward, from behind, and to the front hip.

I think it would be about door frame drill, feeling the lower spine wanting to drop onto the plant leg through the heel. Don't think about pulling with your arm toward the target, this is where the shoulder lead and over the top comes from. You need to keep the spine straight and get the lower spine onto the front leg, this then sets up the front hip to be able to clear back and that initiates all the rotation while keeping good posture.

Last edited:
On the side view it looks to me like you're going over the top instead of getting the lower spine onto the front leg and clearing the front hip to initiate the rotation. You are landing and thinking about rotating the shoulders, the spine is upright and shoulders leading the throw. The spine is essentially still balanced on the rear leg, and the rear leg just kind of comes forward and squishes at the brace rather than having leveraged the mass/pelvis/spine forward and to the front hip.

I think it would be about door frame drill, feeling the lower spine wanting to drop onto the plant leg through the heel. Don't think about pulling with your arm toward the target, this is where the shoulder lead and over the top comes from. You need to keep the spine straight and get the lower spine onto the front leg, this then sets up the front hip to be able to clear back and that initiates all the rotation while keeping good posture.
Thanks slowplastic. Ill work on it and probably post some video of the drill to make sure I'm doing that right. Leading with the shoulders makes sense, as soon as I plant I feel my hip open just slightly and then I kind of gas my shoulders.

Yeah it should feel like you are landing and staying closed, the rear leg and arm get to the right place to provide leverage, and you swing through the hit point like you're busting through something...rather than feeling like you get forward to fling the arm really fast.

Quick question. Do u get into a squat position on that front leg?
In my videos it appears as if I'm not squatting into it and in the door frame videos it looks like sidewinder does. And if I understand it correctly u then extend the front leg to counteract the weight dropping/squatting...

Does that sound right?

When actually doing the drill like that thats what unintentionally happens for me

If you are still holding on to the door frame you shouldn't be able to put much weight into the front heel, but there is a squat of sorts(both legs) that leads into crushing the can(extension) after you release from the door frame.

I feel like I'm trying to extend my back leg while turning into/loading into the rear hip and the upper body is kind of just holding down the fort...the rear leg is where the force is and my front foot isn't allowed to put weight down. The leg is bent because of the angle I need to get into this position in a drill, but it doesn't feel like squatting typically would because my plant leg isn't supporting much weight yet.

I mean after letting go of the door frame. All the force from my rear leg leaves as the front foot goes down, all the weight settles into the front/ squat on the front leg, then unintentionally the front leg extends and the hips rotate around.

Yeah that sounds right to me, unintentionally it extends after it accepts the weight and the hips clear.

Yeah that sounds right to me, unintentionally it extends after it accepts the weight and the hips clear.
Cool, hopefully I'm on the right track then. I just got home from work and did a quick video of how I was doing the drill at work. Again I apologize for the camera. My auto rotate is on and I've checked the advanced settings and everything but can't figure out how to fix it...

https://youtu.be/yVl_2sZ37MU

It's really hard for me to tell about everything with that angle and from a drill, but I do think the sequence seems better. It looks like you're getting a leverage transfer to the front leg and staying closed.

Latest posts