• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some help with my form!!!

Lol unfortunately no. They have to read the barcode.

Ill definitely try a tennis ball. Hopefully I don't break my tailbone haha

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Lol unfortunately no. They have to read the barcode.

Ill definitely try a tennis ball. Hopefully I don't break my tailbone haha

If you fall on your butt or your back knee you probably did it right, if you fall on your chin you did it wrong

https://youtu.be/Qon7ypPPW-M

I watched the slow motion and perpetually longer drill and actually did the drill for a good half hour, even have some footage haha, I let my arm be the pendulum and think I'm going to do this from now on as it lets my arm be more relaxed. I also noticed in the slow motion part where and how sidewinder was pushing from the rear leg and think I got it now. Anyways, I did more work, added a slight pre swing to really feel the weight of the arm and worked on the shift from behind. Hopefully it looks better

Nice finish position. Your foot is still leading your stride instead of your hips:

https://youtu.be/Px_qvCzzdIY

Still need work on the hershyzer I think. And my shoulders are opening early because I'm leading with the head. Doea that sound right? Am I missing anything else? Kind of a weird camera angle near the end of the tee

This shot went about 320 with a neutron vanish. I was trying to turn it over at the end of its flight but it stayed stable on me which seems to be a common problem now... Things I could turn before arent turning and more overstable discs are staying straight longer, not really sure what is going on there

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Not sure what to tell you on the form, but it's looking much improved. Maybe the femurs are too neutral/not loaded in as much as they should be. There's got to be something major going on though, but it's looking in much better balance.

As far as disc flights though, you're getting more leverage and spin on the disc. That makes discs fly much more neutral, so flippy discs are way more resistant to turn and all discs wait to fade much later. It's weird, a disc that can fly -1/1 for someone at 300' can still fly a wider -1/1 at 375' with improved form, they won't necessarily go -3/0 and turn to rollers with more power...adding that leverage/spin helps keep discs flying. Of course some crappier molds just can't take a certain velocity range no matter what. But this added leverage is how pro's can throw mids 400' dead straight while ams will cut roll them at 280' with torque.

I can say I didnt pinch at the end of the throw for this shot but that brings me to another question, I was reading about thos thumb push thing, is that something we are suppose to do for big distance. At this point I feel more tugging on my fingers than anything

I can say I didnt pinch at the end of the throw for this shot but that brings me to another question, I was reading about thos thumb push thing, is that something we are suppose to do for big distance. At this point I feel more tugging on my fingers than anything

I feel the tugging on my fingers too. I am not sure, but I think that your form needs to be close to perfect for it to be a thing...you need to be lined up so that pronation happens through the hit, your brace is set, and you have leverage through the hit point from your brace so you can keep adding more power during the swing. From my understanding it's kind of an advanced thing and you have to be in the correct body positions/leverage in order to be able to do it effectively.

Got ya, I definitely agree there is something huge going on that I'm missing. I have been wondering if its because I'm bigger that I'm not getting enough rotational speed. For reference I'm 5' 8, at 235 lbs... But I dont really know

I'm sure there's something obvious, I just only have my own experience learning, and when I was in that range I had a completely separate list of problems. Your form seems to be building up the correct way, so it's much harder for me to pinpoint what is off. I just never went through that route, my weight shift was in front of me when I was throwing that far so by the time my form started looking like that I was already throwing 375-400' because of other aspects I had worked on.

Try to get a directly behind the tee angle next time too, to see stride direction and such.

I don't know if you might be late off the rear foot or if that rear leg is going up too much instead of forward signifying an ineffective shift...but at the same time you have a good tempo. I really don't know.

Last edited:
Get your rear arm into your body, hand inside rear thigh or on lower arm on stomach. Your balance would be better with more upright posture in x-step and allow you turn your body(and head together) back further. Your backswing looks a bit restricted by your head.

That off arm is gonna be difficult to get into muscle memory, I will definitely work on it though. Thanks for the insight sidewinder, ill try to fix those things

Hey guys, haven't really had any improvement with the exception of hitting 380 on maybe 5 out of 20 drives. I've been trying to experiment with different things but I think the real issue is my arm position, more specifically the elbow position. How high should the elbow be? On the same level with my shoulder with the forearm hanging lower?

On a side note my balance has improved and I beleive its because I changed the way I was thinking about the throw. Want to make sure this is correct also so heres the sequence. Please tell me if I have it wrong.

1. Peak of reach back timed with the front toes hitting the ground.

2. Heel comes down, weight on instep of plant foot. At this point no weight is on the rear foot but everything is still very much closed from the target.

3. As soon as the heel plants, keep plant knee bent and with the torso still turned away from the target bring the disc to the right pec area.

4. Accelerate by pushing into the ground with the plant foot, which causes everything to unwind.

5. Squeeze between index finger and thumb and let the disc rip out.

6. Follow through on the same plane that you want the disc on.

I think my issue is with point three with the elbow. Do u bring the disc to the pec area by driving the elbow towards the target or do u simply let it hinge closed? How high should the elbow be? And do I have the sequence correct? Thanks again

Elbow - nip high. Elbow doesn't move back or forward or up or down much. Elbow basically only swings the lower arm/disc into power pocket and away. Sequence is correct for the most.

3. I don't think about keeping the knee bent - static thought. It will bend/collapse some even though you are resisting bending to crush the can and stay upright. It's just like landing from a jump, there's an ebb and flow of bending and extending in the dynamic process.

5. You should be accelerating the back end/nose of the disc forward around your wrist. I use my thumb to push the disc forward. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/...&t=24903&sid=6199213daa5dfaadaf53a89f5a96c221

https://youtu.be/bNPY7ZPFchs

Well my friend distracted me here but it went near 350 to 370 and turned over and never faded back but everything was pretty much the same throughout my throw. I can see my disc is to far behind my body (rounding) so I need to move my arm out to the left of the teepad further correct?

I have to say sidewinder, that I am completely confused with that thread... In a way it sounds like the same thing to me just different points of focus maybe? Is it more of an active opening of the wrist or passive? Ive been doing it all passively and can say I get a tugging on my middle and index finger which Blake says is incorrect u should be pushing, but I'm lost on how that is achieved...

You are hugging yourself with the upper arm collapsing and pushing your shoulders over the hips. Need to turn your hips and shoulders further back in door frame drill and lead with your butt more hanging from door frame, so rear foot pushes hips forward and door frame pulls shoulders further back. Probably need to move your rear foot a few inches forward in door frame drill, and stance slightly more inside frame so arm is wider/straight back inline with shoulder to target. Your rear foot is also pushing you over to the left side of the tee pad. Looks like your x-step is too quick, long and not getting balanced on it enough to stride straighter into the plant and leading with hips/butt - Hershyzer.

Wrist doesn't really need to move to bring the disc forward. It's just like hammering a nail sideways.

Ok. I think I understand. Wider reach back to stop hugging myself, elbow doesn't move and just acts as a hinge.

Shoulders stay back during the stride and the hips go forward. I have felt this in the door frame drill but never in my throw. So during my actual throw I have to imagine I'm pulling against an imaginary stationary object and I need to make sure I stay inside my A frame to to avoid losing that leverage... Do I have that right?

For the most yes. It looks like you haven't worked far enough back into the door frame though which is what should widen your upper arm angle or keep it wider as you turn further back. I'd play around with moving your rear foot closer to target/away from door frame while maintaining leverage inside your posture.

In x-step I swing the disc just like a sledgehammer. Pre-swing it forward before x-step, then work your body forward around the sledgehammer as it falls back into backswing. I recommend actually doing the x-step with a hammer, just getting that rhythm.