• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need something more stable than a TL

Hankman

Recently my 175g Star TL has started to turn over. I'm guessing some of it is OAT/bad form but I'd still like to have something more stable and faster in my bag that has no chance of turning over. My drives are in the 330-400ft range but I can feel that I'm not far away from throwing my TL/Vision 400ft consistently. So what should be my next disc? Thanks.

But that is just so boring choice, lol (jk)
Honestly I'd like to try something new and also faster but don't know if something like TRex is way too much for me.

C-PD would be faster and resistant to turning over, though they're probably not what you're looking for. =)

How fast and stable are we talking about? A Firebird would be faster and is very stable?

What's a PD (or C-PD)? I saw a thread about raving about them but had no idea what it was.
Is firebird the next logical step from a TL/tbird? How big of difference there is to teerex in terms of needed power? What if it's a head wind situation, will FB still resist from turning over for me? (sorry about obsessing about teerex... it has too cool of a name)

Hankman said:
What's a PD (or C-PD)? I saw a thread about raving about them but had no idea what it was.
The PD is a disc made by Innova but stamped as a Discmania (brand name) Power Driver (model name, frequently shortened to PD). They are sometimes called "freaks" because... well...
PD_Power_Driver_P_Line_Freak.jpg
this stamp is on a lot of them. P PDs are made in Pro plastic, C PDs are in Champ plastic, and S PDs are in Star plastic.
Hankman said:
Is firebird the next logical step from a TL/tbird?
I don't think so. I think that might be the PD, Avenger, OLF, etc.
Hankman said:
How big of difference there is to teerex in terms of needed power?
You are skipping up 3 rungs on the power requirement ladder to go from a TL to a TeeRex. Moving up to the PD/Avenger/OLF is only skipping up 1 rung so these discs will be more manageable for you.
Hankman said:
What if it's a head wind situation, will FB still resist from turning over for me?
Firebirds are one of the best on the market for headwinds and for not turning over. But be forewarned, the Firebird is really really overstable; that's what gives it these properties.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I guess I might go for a PD then. My local shop web page says C-PD is the most stable but jubuttib said it's probably not what I'm after. (why?) Should I still go for it? :p

The C-PD is a good disc for what it does (go straight for a while and then fade very reliably, all the while ignoring wind totally. Also great for thumbers and FH rollers). A few things: They don't glide very well and hence aren't long by any means. They support the other PDs perfectly, but are of limited use by themselves. They're also only available as CFR discs for the Finnish Championships and the Presidents Cup, only in Europe though. There are some test runs for sale at DGV though. So not too easy to come by, yet.

A higher PLH S-PD could very well be what you're looking for. There are some that aren't as overstable as advertised, but the stable ones are money.

Again, thanks for the replies. I haven't yet made up my mind between S- and C-PD yet but have enough information now.

Hankman said:
...I'd still like to have something more stable and faster in my bag that has no chance of turning over.

You don't hear much about this disc, but you might want to consider a Discraft Tracker. It's exceptionally straight, with a nice little fade at the end. Just overstable enough that you can really let it rip and not worry about it turning over, or becoming a meathook. Mine is arrow straight with a little fade. The pros on the Discraft website say the same thing.

In terms of it's stability, I find it more reliable than an XL, Stalker or TL.

Flat striker...don't get the domey one but a flat one and i promise this is what you are looking for.

Hankman said:
Again, thanks for the replies. I haven't yet made up my mind between S- and C-PD yet but have enough information now.

C-PD is way more stable and has much less glide...you should start with an S imho

rusch_bag said:
elnino said:
Flat striker...don't get the domey one but a flat one and i promise this is what you are looking for.

He said he wanted something faster, not slower.
a Striker is surely faster than a TL or TB (the flat ones especially)

But yeah i vote for an S-PD

Common mistake around these parts :wink:

EDIT:is it just me or is our new winky emoticon a little.......gay? he looks a bit flirtatious compared to the old one :|

Jesse B 707 said:

EDIT:is it just me or is our new winky emoticon a little.......gay? he looks a bit flirtatious compared to the old one :|

its been noted by phpbb that their selection of smiles are/were weak

Solty said:
Jesse B 707 said:

its been noted by phpbb that their selection of smiles are/were weak
:lol: i never really had any problem with em (granted we dont have clapping guys or a dude headbutting a wall) but this new winker looks like he's got something in his pocket for you
:? >>> :wink:

Latest posts