• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Course Open in Cary, NC

The new course in Middle Creek Park while not officially open is open for casual play. The baskets for redesigned 8 and 9 are not in yet but all the other holes are in and ready to go. It is at the corner of Optimist Farm and West Lake rd. Hole 1 tees off from next to the Youth Baseball sign, it is marked by a yellow line painted on the grass.

I don't think this needs to be said but if you go out there don't drink! I played a round with our parks and rec contact and he was telling me that they will have cops doing random drive-thrus on the park and will pull the course if people get caught drinking out there.

For you out of towners this course is about 20 minutes south of Raleigh.

For more info see The Raleigh Disc Golf Website

The new course in Middle Creek Park while not officially open is open for casual play. The baskets for redesigned 8 and 9 are not in yet but all the other holes are in and ready to go. It is at the corner of Optimist Farm and West Lake rd. Hole 1 tees off from next to the Youth Baseball sign, it is marked by a yellow line painted on the grass.

Frank, could you maybe give me a brief description of what this course is like. Im out of town for the summer but will be back in the middle of this month for school. Is it more open or woods holes. And how would you say the difficulty compares to other courses in the area like Cedar Hills, Kentwood, and Buckhorn. Thanks.

The holes are mixed, you start out on open holes, both 1 and 2 are about 350 that you can go straight at or take an extended hyzer at. There is rough on the left side that is brutal and a road on the right that is OB on both of them.

3-5 are short technical wooded shots all between 250-300, the fairways are pretty wide right now b/c the volunteers got a little overzealous with the pruning but off the fairway is still super thick, if you get off the fairway on any of those holes you could easily be looking at a bogey or more.

Holes 6-8 are must birdie holes that are all under 260. 6 and 8 are open holes and 7 is a wooded hole but only a 240ish straight shot.

Hole 9 is a tight uphill shot that starts in the woods but comes out into the open for the last 80 ft or so and the pin is up on a sharp hill. After throwing this hole a couple of times I concluded it is impossible to tell what the wind is doing near the basket from the tee.

Hole 10 is the signature hole that starts out in the open on a elevated tee. You must hit a 40 ft gap about 100 ft in front of you and carry a gentle anhyser the whole way to the basket. guardian trees make this nearly impossible.

11-14 are all technical wooded shots around 300 with no two shots the same, there is a gentle anhyzer, a gentle uphill hyzer and a sharp anhyzer.

15 is only 230 ft long and it is about a 60 ft drop to the basket. The basket is only about 10 ft from the back rough and that stuff is so thick you can only be two ft in and have no putt.

16 is a sharp uphill anhyzer that is only 270 but plays about 330. The fairway is wide but the rough is ridiculously punishing.

17 and 18 are open shots where wind is always blowing. 17 is a gentle anhyzer into a constant headwind and 18 is a long shot into a headwind with the tee at the top of a large hill making for a very difficult deuce.

I would say this course is like Cedar Hills the most, lots of birdie opportunities but to shoot really well you will have to be on your game big time. I was talking to Jay Pontier, the co-designer of the course, and he already has plans for putting in some gold tees. When those go in that will be a hell of a course.

Thanks for the descriptions. Sounds pretty sweet im gonna have to try and make it out there one day before classes start back to shoot a round or two. And also do you happen to know when you might be getting those last two baskets in?

krjones4 said:
Thanks for the descriptions. Sounds pretty sweet im gonna have to try and make it out there one day before classes start back to shoot a round or two. And also do you happen to know when you might be getting those last two baskets in?

Wednesday.

That is really cool. My father lives in the area and wanted to give disc golf a try. Thanks for the information.

Midnightbiker said:
That is really cool. My father lives in the area and wanted to give disc golf a try. Thanks for the information.

it is definitely a good beginner course especially with the fairways trimmed so far back right now.

Frank_Delicious said:
Midnightbiker said:

it is definitely a good beginner course especially with the fairways trimmed so far back right now.

I have told my father about my brother and I playing, and he want to come to Texas for a visit, and play a round with us, but he said he wants to get in some practice before his visit.

I have told my father about my brother and I playing, and he want to come to Texas for a visit, and play a round with us, but he said he wants to get in some practice before his visit.

If your dad has never played much Kentwood would be a good choice as well. Short enough to be played with mainly a putter and mid range but just enough of a challenge to keep it fun. Its where i started out playing at and still go back quite a good bit.

All baskets are now in and teepads are marked. They course is now officially open and completely playable.

I found the course at middle creek the day I moved from Apex to North Raleigh. I shot even golf first time through (great round for me) and fell in love. It is easily my favorite course in the area atm. Sadly I now live too far to play casual rounds out there. I shoot most of my rounds at Cedar Hills nowadays. But if anyone wanted to get doubles or mebbe a league goin....then I could definitely see myself out there more often.

Latest posts