• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Discs! New Bag!

fr0sty711

Par Member
I have been playing for about 8 months now and fell like I have hit a plateau (not in my game necessarily but my game with the limited discs I have). I started out using my friends extra discs because I didn't no if I would like this sport or not and of course I fell in love with it! So Now I would like to buy some discs of my own. I'll give you some background. The discs that my friend has let me use are Driver: Innova Champion beast 162 Fairway Driver: KC Pro Cheetah 175 Mid Range: Roc 119 Putter: Magnet
There are a few others too but these are the main 4 I used. My Favorite is the Beast. it is defiantly the best flying and most comfortable disc I have. I love the fell of the pastic.
Here are the discs that I might buy.

Drivers: Quest Raging Inferno, Innova Champion Destroyer and Pro Destroyer, Innova DX teebird

Mid Range: Innova Cro, Discraft Elite Z Buzzz, Z Wasp

Putter: Gateway wizard, Warlock

Bag; Innove Standard Bag(I want a bag tha hold 10-12 with room for towel and food and stuff like that)

So those are the discs and bag that I think I will get but I would love to hear your opinion. I am open to a whole different list of discs or just a few you might replace. Remind you I am a beginner but have gotten really good over my 8 months of playing. Your opinion on the weight and softness of any of the discs you recommend would be helpful to. Thanks so much for taking time to help me out!

I have been playing for a year. From my experience I can tell you that the best route is to buy a Dx Eagle around 167, a roc around 170, and an avair putter around 170. Learn those discs and it is possible to throw almost any line, once you can throw the Eagle 330 consistently step up to teebird, but the other two will be the same(keep the eagle for anhyzers). I did it that way only using an Eagle to drive and it was shorter at first, but I can throw my Teebird 370' consistently and I just started to use a distance driver, Im testing the Orc and Starfire and can put the out around 410'. Trust me it will accelerate your learning. Focus on getting the nose down and leading with your elbow. Then add in the run up(WEIGHT FORWARD). Happy throwing

As far as a bag , I would suggest an Innova Deluxe Bag. I only carry 12 discs myself, and it has room for them, my towels, and other things. Not to big, not too small. I got two of them from members here on the site.

My advice is to stay way from wide rimmed drivers for as long as possible. Ive found that I rely more on my eagle and teebird for almost all shots under 400'. So if you want 10-12 discs I would suggest the following.

Drivers: 2 teebird (1dx & 1star overstable driver)
2 eagle x (1dx &1star workhorse driver)
2 roc or 2 wasp/buzzz (good for everything under 300')
2 wizard or 2 aviar
keep the beast for a great turnover driver till your dx eagle beats in.
1 spot left for you to try something else that you might like.

geoloseth said:
My advice is to stay way from wide rimmed drivers for as long as possible. Ive found that I rely more on my eagle and teebird for almost all shots under 400'. So if you want 10-12 discs I would suggest the following.

2 wizard or 2 aviar

Friend, what is written above is wisdom. I know that its fun to toss Beasts and other wide-rimmed long drivers, but you will thank yourselff for pulling back and LEARNING your lower speed, stable to overstable drivers. Eagle or Teebird;makes no difference....just learn one...I would humbly suggest the Roc and a JK Aviar as well

Tossin' in Memphis said:
Friend, what is written above is wisdom. I know that its fun to toss Beasts and other wide-rimmed long drivers, but you will thank yourselff for pulling back and LEARNING your lower speed, stable to overstable drivers. Eagle or Teebird;makes no difference....just learn one...I would humbly suggest the Roc and a JK Aviar as well

Ditto.
I have a plastic obsession; I always want to try out new discs. But Tossin' and Geoloseth are right. Learn the slow stuff first, get skills, THEN go win lots of discs at tourneys!

For putters, consider 1 firmer and one soft of the same model/weight. Use the control of the firmer for primary duty, and the soft for approaches where it's really handy to stick the landing (to avoid water, steep hills...) I went the Med and SSS 170 Wizard route.

It's easy to locally find a modest soft-sided cooler with shoulder strap and zippered front incidentals pouch for under $20. Nothing bangs hard on you when you walk, and sponge cleaning is easy.

Premium plastic can wait until you've decided the model is a keeper.

geoloseth said:

2 wizard or 2 aviar

Wisdom is right I'll third what he said. For a bag, go with a revolution, I heard gateways are good too.

if you're just starting, don't buy any of those drivers but the Teebird until you can throw over 350 feet consistently on demand. The mids and putters look ok, but the inferno and the destroyers and such are too much disc for you to do anything with until you get further along in your learning.

RS39 said:
For putters, consider 1 firmer and one soft of the same model/weight. Use the control of the firmer for primary duty, and the soft for approaches where it's really handy to stick the landing (to avoid water, steep hills...)

That is great advice. I tried useing a Soft Magnet for approach, and a Pro D for putting, and that combo works great.

Latest posts