• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Distance Record

jubuttib said:
@JHern: Do you think there's any chance of ever coming up with a disc that'll approximate the behavior of the Aerobie Pro ring? Possibly a really really low profile disc that's in essence the pro ring without the hole...

I think a ring will always present the best lift/drag characteristics. The aerobie ring is almost ideal for max distance, in every way possible. Adding a flight plate of any kind diminishes the benefits. Also, if you made a disc as thin as the aerobie ring, but without holes, it would probably be very difficult to get a good grip.

JHern said:
jubuttib said:
@JHern: Do you think there's any chance of ever coming up with a disc that'll approximate the behavior of the Aerobie Pro ring? Possibly a really really low profile disc that's in essence the pro ring without the hole...

I think a ring will always present the best lift/drag characteristics. The aerobie ring is almost ideal for max distance, in every way possible. Adding a flight plate of any kind diminishes the benefits. Also, if you made a disc as thin as the aerobie ring, but without holes, it would probably be very difficult to get a good grip.
It would be harder to get a good grip, but if it really was essentially a filled in ring it shouldn't really be any harder to hang on to than the ring itself (ignoring material differences for the sake of argument). People don't (from what I've seen) hook their fingers through it, they just press on the rim.

The rules do state that a disc has to have a clearly defined top and bottom (why The Wheel is illegal), but does it actually have to have the "bowl" or whatever you'd call it underneath...

jubuttib said:

With porous air through letting material flight plate? Note i avoided saying air passing ohhhhh!!!!

JHern said:
7ontheline said:
Mark Ellis said:
zj1002 said:
Blizzard plastic might as well be base plastic... that stuff scuffs up as easy as DX.

Anyways nice to see someone break the record. I am sure Wiggins will keep topping it. someone will top 900ft but I am not sure if 1000 will be done.

What could a baseball pitcher with a 100 mph fastball do? What could a 7 foot tall power forward from basketball do? Until the sport attracts the best athletes aren't we just guessing?

Agreed...

Wind is also a big deal in distance throwing. I think we'll see 1000'+ some day, just owing to wind alone. Lighter is better for wind influence.

discpunk26 said:
If they make fast large diameter drivers someone will.

Scaling up a mold to larger diameter increases lift, but also drag, by the same amount...but this could work in one's favor in the wind (kite effect).

People have lost discs that has been picked up by a tornado and the disc has been found in another state. Without starting the flight by throwing may not count though if the disc had come to rest on the ground though :)

Aerobie ring is basicly set of two different wings with counter effects. so any kind of disc with flight plate will never be like it

Any flight plate will always tend to drag air forward with the disc, the air "sticks" to it. This will increase dissipation of momentum. And while having a flight plate can give you greater lift than a ring, it is not enough to make up for the increase in drag.

Of course, PDGA rules essentially limit the profile of a disc, it can't be too thin without running into illegal dimensions. The Katana might be about as thin in profile as can be made under the present rules.

I wonder if PDGA will ever allow rings or holes in the flight plate. This would actually make it a bit more flexible, and arguably safer to use. But the added distance would require us to scale up the size of our courses considerably, and put more of a stress on land use, which in turn would impede future course development. Perhaps it is best to keep the sport short, at least for now...

I've been hearing some chatter about the new distance record, some people are unhappy that this was held at a time when many of the major big arms were booked with something else. GG, AJ, CS, etc., were not present, and perhaps conditions on this day were such that they would have thrown even further.

So...next month we're hosting a WFDF distance competition here in Santa Cruz, Wednesday 16 May, just before Masters Cup NT. I'm going to take photos, and do a write-up for PDGA. However, the conditions here are not always very good for establishing records. Also, the wind comes and goes, and isn't always directed properly for the fields that we'll use.

Frank Delicious said:
Sucks for them

True enough. I think they'll have to wait for the next Nevada event to see another record-breaking throw. It isn't going to happen here in Santa Cruz, unless the winds are big.

I predict, and I am willing to bet a beer that, when the next Nevada event is held, and more long throwers are able to turn out, the record will again be broken. With a Blizzard plastic disc.

Star Shark said:
Dunno. Avery and GG are likely to be there. If they get ahold of one, it oculd go...

GG isn't yet sure he'll make it to Santa Cruz (short on travel funds)...we're going to try to get him out here (I thought for sure he would already be playing Masters Cup).

Avery will definitely be here.

7ontheline said:
Mark Ellis said:
zj1002 said:
Blizzard plastic might as well be base plastic... that stuff scuffs up as easy as DX.

Anyways nice to see someone break the record. I am sure Wiggins will keep topping it. someone will top 900ft but I am not sure if 1000 will be done.

What could a baseball pitcher with a 100 mph fastball do? What could a 7 foot tall power forward from basketball do? Until the sport attracts the best athletes aren't we just guessing?

Agreed. I wish Bubba Watson would drop the clubs and take up discs full time. With some exposure like that, we might be able to get the city to allow ball and disc on the same precious land in my lifetime.

Inner city kids throwing plastic aren't standing on the corner thinking about drive-bys. Several NBA starters from Memphis began with only a pair a hightops and a basketball. If they could afford golf clubs, a $100 golf bag, and $20 greens fees there would be a more diverse group of gentlemen on the greens.

I remember reading somewhere that Aaron Rodgers, QB for Green Bay, plays disc golf. Not the biggest arm in the NFl, but still quiet beastly.

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxqXHF9DPng

What do you think of his position of the head and the neck?

JR said:
Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxqXHF9DPng

What do you think of his position of the head and the neck?

Looks like he is well anchored for lag.

JHern said:
I've been hearing some chatter about the new distance record, some people are unhappy that this was held at a time when many of the major big arms were booked with something else. GG, AJ, CS, etc., were not present, and perhaps conditions on this day were such that they would have thrown even further.

This was posted April 15th on the PDGA website:

FWIW, I chose the date for this event based on 3 considerations.

Most importantly, I had the time available. I work many weekends and do not have every weekend off. I had to work the weekend prior to this event.

Second, it is before April 23rd, David Wiggins Jr's birthday. since he has been 9 years old we have been doing distance record attempts in the spring before his birthday to qualify for an age group record.

Third, it was over David Jr's week of spring break. He is enrolled in a very difficult High School academic program called IB (International Baccalaureate). He cannot afford to miss a lot of school.

This date conflicted with several other events. Almost any date would do that. In fact, we missed the Dogwood Crosstown in Raleigh, an event we love to do and have been doing for years. That is unfortunate, but everyone has to work within their personal limitations and having the event this weekend was the best I could do given mine.

I did try to publicize the event as widely as possible and especially to known throwers. Everyone who had the weekend off could have chosen to do the HDDC #3 or another event based on their own personal sets of priorities.

Short story. The timing was not perfect, but it was the best I could do. No one who wanted to participate was turned away.

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=33375

Life is full of choices, Those that did not attend the HDDC#3 made theirs.

Regarding this part: " perhaps conditions on this day were such that they would have thrown even further." Well, maybe so. The biggest fish is always the one that got away. But for some frame of reference chack out the top places in the distance competition at the PDGA Pro Worlds last year in Santa Cruz. http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/2011ProWorlds-DistanceResults.pdf

That #2 name looks familar. I don't think JHern was taking any shots at anyone... only dreaming of 900 perhaps.

Thanks for the vid JR and to all those everywhere that promote my favorite sport.

I just posted the link. Thanks for getting it filmed whoever did it. And thanks to Innova for putting it up on Youtube.

Congratulations to dad and coach too and please make sure that David junior hears our congratulations. And thanks for organizing the event. When people pay in advance for a competition and hear of a new event being held at the same time it is easy to not take the hassle of trying to get the money back from the first event and signing up for the second. That is just human nature and in some cases there are time limits to when you can get refunded for pulling out of an event. That may be a part of it. Someone is always gonna be unhappy and that is the nature of organizing events. You can't avoid that. You just have to shrug it off. Bending over backwards for someone is showing the plumbers jeans to somebody else so you can't take the bitching personally. It is always gonna happen as long as the players get educated about it. How would they feel like when nobody arranged the events? Let them run the events themselves and see for themselves. That is what many people to do bring up their kids. giving them responsibility for doing something showing what needs to be done and what the trade offs are and why things are done the way they are done. There are always upsides and downsides and finding a working solution for the benefit of the majority means stepping on the toes of the minority often. If that is the greatest good so be it. And let the bitchers bitch and grow up as they get better informed. Letting them to be informed needs to happen as well. Wishes aren't horses and if everyone got their wish you'd end up with horse of at least two different heads walking in opposite directions. That doesn't go far :-D That's reality for you :-D

Regarding the day the winds weren't that fast. I'd expect more for the desert and i imagine the previous record had much faster gusts pushing and lifting the disc. From eye witness accounts of the previous record.

dwiggmd said:
JHern said:

This was posted April 15th on the PDGA website:

FWIW, I chose the date for this event based on 3 considerations.

Most importantly, I had the time available. I work many weekends and do not have every weekend off. I had to work the weekend prior to this event.

Second, it is before April 23rd, David Wiggins Jr's birthday. since he has been 9 years old we have been doing distance record attempts in the spring before his birthday to qualify for an age group record.

Third, it was over David Jr's week of spring break. He is enrolled in a very difficult High School academic program called IB (International Baccalaureate). He cannot afford to miss a lot of school.

This date conflicted with several other events. Almost any date would do that. In fact, we missed the Dogwood Crosstown in Raleigh, an event we love to do and have been doing for years. That is unfortunate, but everyone has to work within their personal limitations and having the event this weekend was the best I could do given mine.

I did try to publicize the event as widely as possible and especially to known throwers. Everyone who had the weekend off could have chosen to do the HDDC #3 or another event based on their own personal sets of priorities.

Short story. The timing was not perfect, but it was the best I could do. No one who wanted to participate was turned away.

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=33375

Life is full of choices, Those that did not attend the HDDC#3 made theirs.

Regarding this part: " perhaps conditions on this day were such that they would have thrown even further." Well, maybe so. The biggest fish is always the one that got away. But for some frame of reference chack out the top places in the distance competition at the PDGA Pro Worlds last year in Santa Cruz. http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/2011ProWorlds-DistanceResults.pdf

DGR IT problems led to this double post. I thought i saw a message removal tool earlier and could not locate it this time.