• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbs make my day on a daily basis

I'm not saying new players only get into the game because of fad discs. I'm saying fad discs (whether bought by noobs or experienced players) help to pad the profits of the disc companies. I'm not sure to what extent, it's more of an educated guess based on how the forums blow up every time some new high speed driver comes out. Happened with the Katana, the Nuke, the Ape, etc etc etc.

I'm fine with the disc companies coming out with 20 speed discs, if it helps them stay in business, grow their company and continue to put out the so-called "staple" discs.

The problem is that these discs are making several very good courses irrelevant, jeopardizing many courses due to safety concerns, these discs do more damage to trees and whatever they hit, etc.
The benefit is that it boosts sales but at what cost to the game and at some point Eagles and Tee Birds will be pulled out of production and we are gonna be left with Vulcanas etc. I mean most of these new discs are good discs but sadly they are changing the game

This dude posts stuff like this all the time,I think he's diggin' attempting to feel superior in seniority,maturity rocks.

People on this site do this all the time. You have to throw a putter 300 to be good, you can't throw that disc until you can hit a 250' thumber and park it. Then everyone on site starts paying hundreds of dollars for a particular buzzz because it's going to shave 18 strokes off their rounds. Or you have to only throw eagles made in Ontario on Monday Wednesday and Friday. San Marino Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Rancho Cucamonga's however, well those are your weekend discs.

I learned on a birdie and wraith and will die by a birdie and wraith, yet that is hardly a prescription for success for anyone else. I understand if someone is asking which disc is best giving the advice you think, but why look down on someone just because they don't throw the same as you? Why not just applaud their progress and move on? Not everyone lives and breathes disc golf. Some people play just to have fun.

This dude posts stuff like this all the time,I think he's diggin' attempting to feel superior in seniority,maturity rocks.

Wrong, its boredom. Well, 2% superiority, but not over the player, over the disc jockey that sold him an Ape. And now you. I knew this was borderline material when I posted it, any mods around to bump this to the appropriate nonessential sub-forum? Or maybe not, it is par for the course compared to other threads floating around. But is that an automatic par 3 or shall we decide based on difficulty?

People on this site do this all the time. You have to throw a putter 300 to be good, you can't throw that disc until you can hit a 250' thumber and park it. Then everyone on site starts paying hundreds of dollars for a particular buzzz because it's going to shave 18 strokes off their rounds. Or you have to only throw eagles made in Ontario on Monday Wednesday and Friday. San Marino Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Rancho Cucamonga's however, well those are your weekend discs.

I learned on a birdie and wraith and will die by a birdie and wraith, yet that is hardly a prescription for success for anyone else. I understand if someone is asking which disc is best giving the advice you think, but why look down on someone just because they don't throw the same as you? Why not just applaud their progress and move on? Not everyone lives and breathes disc golf. Some people play just to have fun.

amen
and sometimes the guy with the birdie kicks the bar stamped buzzz guy all over the course :)

The problem is that these discs are making several very good courses irrelevant, jeopardizing many courses due to safety concerns, these discs do more damage to trees and whatever they hit, etc.
The benefit is that it boosts sales but at what cost to the game and at some point Eagles and Tee Birds will be pulled out of production and we are gonna be left with Vulcanas etc. I mean most of these new discs are good discs but sadly they are changing the game

I understand your concerns, but do people even keep these discs in their bag once the fad dies out? I haven't seen very many Katanas in use lately. I doubt very much that staple discs like the Eagle or Teebird will get "phased out." Maybe I'm wrong. This is just my perception.

Nice! :hfive:

I understand your concerns, but do people even keep these discs in their bag once the fad dies out? I haven't seen very many Katanas in use lately. I doubt very much that staple discs like the Eagle or Teebird will get "phased out." Maybe I'm wrong. This is just my perception.

agreed I do see new discs making and then dropping from bags.....but there seems to be a replacememnt for whatever has just phased out.....I think all of the new discs have been good..I guess I see the movement toward longer and bigger courses and these are very hard to build properly and then even more difficult to maintain.
I recently heard Nicklaus lament how the game has changed and how skill and strategy is kind of a lost concept in golf...I just fear its happening in DG as well

Wrong, its boredom. Well, 2% superiority, but not over the player, over the disc jockey that sold him an Ape. And now you. I knew this was borderline material when I posted it, any mods around to bump this to the appropriate nonessential sub-forum? Or maybe not, it is par for the course compared to other threads floating around. But is that an automatic par 3 or shall we decide based on difficulty?

Keep on trollin'.

Hi, my name is Sloppydisc, and I throw horribly. And sometimes I throw an inappropriate disc for my skill level. Usually as a thumber. In my case almost any disc above a speed 3 is inappropriate, but that's my sad case.

Please feel free to make fun of my short drives on the course or forums if it makes you feel better. I have no ego, and don't care. But, I'll take advice and listen. And thank you later if you're helpful.

sometimes I have release issues and a disc will slip out of my hand before I get any snap on it.....and I get the eye rolls about how my disc selection is off and Im throwing too stable plastic
Truth is my form sucks lol If your gonna bash someone know what youre talking bout

I dont believe this at all. Better athletes playing disc golf is whats pushing the older shorter courses out. Not a speed 13 disc. More than 3 quarters of ppl that have a boss,katana,vulcan,nuke, cant even throw the disc fast enough to get the distance out of them. The results of these disc are 1-older Experienced players keep up with distance( katana,vulcan,nuke) 2- power player PROS getting more distance on open holes 3- noobs being less accurate and less informed than ever before because of marketing on the high speed stuff.

Also i have chopped down plenty of branches with my buzzz and drone and im sure teebirds and leos and eagles can do plenty of damage to trees and god forbid a person.

Last edited:
I dont believe this at all. Better athletes playing disc golf is whats pushing the older shorter courses out. Not a speed 13 disc. More than 3 quarters of ppl that have a boss,katana,vulcan,nuke, cant even throw the disc fast enough to get the distance out of them. The results of these disc are 1-older Experienced players keep up with distance( katana,vulcan,nuke) 2- power player PROS getting more distance on open holes 3- noobs being less accurate and less informed than ever before because of marketing on the high speed stuff.

Also i have chopped down plenty of branches with my buzzz and drone and im sure teebirds and leos and eagles can do plenty of damage to trees and god forbid a person.

It really doesnt take a superior athlete to throw a disc far....there are 150 lb scrawny hippies and fat bellied fellas who are proud to not be called athletes throw well over 400 at my course...there are also older guys typically stick with what they know....though Ive seen a few reaching for the katana and the r pro boss (good point)
my point about the newer discs was the same point you are making...the spray zone makes older courses too dangerous

True an eagle can cut a limb and ding a tree but I still think the sharper edge and the bulkier rims make for more damage than a under speed 9 disc could ever do

It really doesnt take a superior athlete to throw a disc far....there are 150 lb scrawny hippies and fat bellied fellas who are proud to not be called athletes throw well over 400 at my course...there are also older guys typically stick with what they know....though Ive seen a few reaching for the katana and the r pro boss (good point)
my point about the newer discs was the same point you are making...the spray zone makes older courses too dangerous

True an eagle can cut a limb and ding a tree but I still think the sharper edge and the bulkier rims make for more damage than a under speed 9 disc could ever do

Ok agreed, not athletes, but with the growing sport its brings out more ppl" by default" that can crush a disc. I see more ppl throwing aviars and wizards and xds over 300ft than ever before. Been around disc golf 16 years

Also, more noobs know about the sport and whether they have an eagle or a boss in there hand if they dont try and learn technique and ettiquete the spray zones are gonna be dangerous for everyone reguardless.

I like all these new high speed drivers and the marketing. Its propelling the sport forward. If it brings new players im all for it. The ppl that want to learn,will learn, and the ppl that dont, will play as a game and enjoy the outdoors.

I was playing with a buddy at Acorn park and we were waiting to tee off on hole #6. As we walked up this kid was showing off his new max weight Ape to some random guy that was obviously just there to drink in public. The kid proceeded to give a full dissertation on why the Ape is the best disc ever. "Its speed 13, so its like the fastest disc ever made. It like goes farther then anything else, and its really overstable and that makes it go farther too." "Its rim is super wide so better players can grip it soooo well." "This disc is so long it will set the distance record fur sure!"

After listening to him blather about the ape he stepped up to the box and ripped it. First of all let me say I throw a tame firebird on this hole, and thats only because my drone is out of the bag now. If I had a hornet I would throw it here. Really, I should be throwing my putter but I can't accurately judge the wind from the box. So anyways he newb hyzers out and MAYBE gets out to 250'. I get all smug on my insides waiting for him to say something about the wind killing him or some other lame excuse. Nope, he turns to his buddy and smiles, exclaiming "oh yea, thats the Ape!" "Great shot man!" his buddy replied.

If this sounds like something you would say and do, or if this was you, do me a favor and do one of two things. 1 - please please please never get better and never learn, you so constantly crack me up. 2 - Do yourself and that Ape a favor and buy a Teebird. Its ok to not throw very far, everyone was a beginner at one point. But seriously, you aren't doing ourself any good.

If you are an employee and/or the owner of Fairway Flyerz, please do one of the following. 1 - Stop selling the latest speed 13 disc to every Newb that walks through the door. In fact, stop selling discs period, just have a sign at the door with directions down to GGGT. 2 - Keep doing what your doing, I need to feel superior over some section of the disc golf community, even if that means you are ripping off dozens of kids a week. Either way, put the pins in at Kaposia at some point, we aren't paying you yearly fees to sit on your arse and give out ribbons.

In many ways, this post is a work of art. Please permit me to quote it for visibility, so that the many, many people who most assuredly must have you on ignore can appreciate your genius. That is all.

Glad I started out with a Leopard, but only because I thought the Beast looked queer.

But the majority of non-dg specific stores have little real knowledge of the game. They say "its fun! buy this one and go play at this nearby course" and point at the nearest/newest disc and course so they have some semblance of wisdom.
I know you think you're one of the privileged few who deserves to play the game, but give the kid a tip and try to better the sport.

MNCyclone- First, I agree with your first post. I grow tired of noobs (my spelling version) thinking they are the shizzle because once, they threw 300' off the top of hole 8 at Central Park in Brooklyn Park, MN (for those who know, a putter or soft midrange will reach the basket at 400'). These new 13 speed drivers are great for making somebody think they are getting laid tonight (they're not).

Yes, GGGT does a phenomenal job of ensuring you are not buying something out of your league. That is why they are the best, and Fairway Flyers will never see a dime of my money. I went into FF once, and the 'owner' seemed annoyed that I was asking him questions about courses he was developing. Really? I was showing an interest in his 'ART'. Yet another reason why "his course" Lochness blows. Last time I visited (I was in the area), they were closed on a posted OPEN time and day, with now sign explaining things. Yeah, you suck.

I like the commenter who asked why didn't you play along side them. That would have really shut them up. At one point, we have all played with a superior player, even if they threw the same distance, but they were way more consistent, putted much better, or rescued shots better than we did. Old saying goes, when one teaches, two learn.

We can all continue to learn and improve. I was playing in a tournament earlier this year with another "old timer" who showed me another style of putting that I had never seen before. Upside down turbo put! Yup, he held his Birdie upside down and let fly turbo style! Thing is he made just about every put inside of 50' and even a few longer. Help noobs find there way and don't stop learning yourself!

instead of laugh you could educate them

(L.O.L. N33BS SUX BOSS 4 LYFE)