• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbs make my day on a daily basis

Not gonna lie, I probably sounded like this when i started buying my own discs. R-Pro Boss, Champ Groove, etc. Man, I was cool. Now, I throw MW Bosses...like they're supposed to be thrown, but it's in part due to this site and specifically the Discing Down threads. Yeah, laugh at them on the inside, but on the outside, encourage them, impart some of the knowledge that you've gained through DGCR and convert them!

they are an amusing bunch. if noobs want to buy only the fastest discs, then let them. it's good for the disc economy.

whenever i do something similar to the OP, i hit the first tree on the hole they threw. i try not to do it anymore

You should have physically assaulted him. The guy obviously had no idea what he was talking about and deserved to have his teeth kicked in. Who does this guy think he is having a good time with his friend, while you judge him from a distance. Douche bag noob.

I laughed pretty hard at this :)

The guy brings up a semi-valid point about Fairway Flyerz but the rest of the post is rubbish. It's a small business run buy an imperfect guy, his family, and some other disc golfers. They try to do a good job, but they are out to make money, and they happen to have one incredible asset: LOCATION!!

It's a mile away from what is almost certainly the busiest course in the state of MN. And 90%+ percent of the people who play it are noobs. Good luck convincing every one of those testosterone filled teenage boys that rode their bike up to the store/course from the trailer park that they shouldn't throw an Ape.

At the beginning of my 2nd year playing I was throwing a Z Xpress 300' and Snelson (the operator of the store) recommended I get a TL and a Wraith. I had great success with those molds my 2nd year. It's not where I buy my plastic now, but he's working with what he's got over there, and he's involved in the upgrades to KP and Valley, which I support.

I am definatley still a noob, no doubt but that doesn't mean I don't love the game. Just recently I went to the new Trophy Club Park and joined up with some of the Funky-Town Flyers Club these guys not only give me tips along the way but also helped me drive much better with OK form. Not only that but at the end they gave me 3 discs and a Standard Innova bag. I was speechless and had an unbelievably great time.

I would of just walked up with my Tee bird and just launched it 325' and said that's a seven or eight speed for ya.

Who hasn't bought a disc that really does nothing for their game? There are terrible players at every course and many of them are not going to get that much better.

Most people are not going to go up to complete strangers and try to critique their throws. If you are playing a round with them you might be able to give some advice.

I'm not sure why all the hate for the guy that sold him the disc....he's not there to tell the kid how to spend his money...also how is he supposed to know what the kid's skill level is? If i am selling something and you want to buy it, guess what, I'm not going to talk you out of it.

This is why I bought my first Nuke, was supposed to be the coolest piece of plastic ever. It sits on a shelf now. But it did keep me playing and having fun, even if I couldn't throw it worth a cr@p. Thankfully I found people that helped me out and continue to do so, I learn something from everyone I play with, and I impart any bits of knowledge I can. But mostly it's about having fun. oh and not hitting anyone in the face with a speed 13 driver, that's important too.

being a noob has nothing to do with how long you play, it has to do with the noobish individual. some are not noobs after a month, others are noobs for 15+ years.

having said that, if you all had to set an allotted amount of time with a nice safe fall to it, what would it be?

i think that on average, someone can stop being called a noob after 2 years.

when i hear noob, i think of someone still learning the basic rules and terms. after 2 years, you should know the majority of those.

someone should make a poll. i'm too lazy.

If it weren't for the "noobs" out there buying all the new latest and greatest disc then the companies wouldn't be as successful as they are. Sure the Ape (which I haven't thrown yet), Boss, Destroyer, etc are beyond most new players but that doesn't mean they shouldn't trey them out. I remember being in my first couple of years and throwing more hyzer stalls than anything, but it was also when I bought the most discs, which is good for the sport.

The funny thing is I am now just coming back to many discs I had written off. Wasp is back in the bag.

My first disc was a 175 champ classic roc. Just found it the other day and it is sweet. I could never throw it before.

Teach the noobs to throw flat

All these old geezers bitching about the latest and newest in disc developement remember me of these guys :

muppet-show.jpg

ever since i started working at a disc golf shop, noobs make my day every day when i convince them to buy star leopards and teebirds over the katana/boss they were considering and i see them on the course throwing the disc i recommended and sold to them much better than the crap they had before

that's how noobs make my day