• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

So today I made my first attempt at dyeing some discs. I just did the shaving cream method for the first one with a pretty simple design and only two colours. The tutorial i watched said I should leave it sit on the plate for 6-8 hours. I checked the first one, a glow champion, at 8 hours and the dye hardly took. Really faint and just the green not the red. The second disc I am currently dyeing is a yellow star plastic. I've left that one and plan on checking it in the morning. Did i just not leave the first glow champ on long enough? P.S. the dye i used was the RIT multi-purpose dye.

glow champ does not take dye easy. i have had poor results with ambient temp dyes and lighter colors on these discs... dark or black heated stencils have worked on glow champ 4 me. orig rit or idye polly

If you are using rit bought recently its likely that its the new formula that doesnt work well. Also best to stick to star type plastic for sc dyes, but i would think champ glow would work as well as champ. Probably wanna let champ sit for 24 ish for a sc dye...

Post some pics regardless.:)

I will for sure post a pic. One other thing is the acetone wiped off the stamps on the innova discs super easy but didn't do anything to my discraft. Any tips for getting the discraft stamps off?

Hokie help

Need some advice, I am putting this hokie image on an orange champion sidewinder for my wife.

The orange disc is close to the color of his feet and beak (so I am leaving that alone) and I know I can get the black outline on there without a problem (with a black dip). Where is need advice is how to get the burgundy right on an orange disc (not worried about the coloring on his tail and that sliver under his neck). I am using I dye poly and from my limited knowledge I assume that I will have to paint on a mixture of black and red. I'll have to go back and re-read the painting tutorial but I thought it was some mixture either with SC or acetone with the dye. I could always test on a white star disc for the burgundy color but I know the color will show up differently on an orange champion one. So I guess my question is how do you get a burgundy color on an orange disc. Worst case scenerio, I probably have another orange champ disc I could test on but I chose this particular orange disc because it was a different color orange that looked more hokie orange. I can get a pic of the disc if that would help. Last thought, if I just dyed it with a straight red dip would it be kinda burgundy anyway because I would be putting the red over the orange disc, making it darker red? Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks as always!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75647363@N08/8472545262

I did this dissc (sorry no full disc pic, guess I never took one)

I used a mix of brown, red and purple to get the burgundy. It turned out OK - maybe not official VT pantones, but close enough. Think I got the mix ratios from the RIT website.

Last edited:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/75647363@N08/8472545262

I did this dissc (sorry no full disc pic, guess I never took one)

I used a mix of brown, red and purple to get the burgundy. It turned out OK - maybe not official VT pantones, but close enough. Think I got the mix ratios from the RIT website.

Nice! I like it. Thanks for the tip. I'll check the rit website for the mix ratio, guess the ratios would be a little different with I dye poly. Let's go! Hokies!

I am about to dye a Proton Volt. I expected the stamp to wipe off cleanly, but really only the black color came off - the stamp is by no means gone.

Where the stamp was/is will still take dye, right? I don't see why it wouldn't but I was hoping someone has done this and could confirm - the disc is not for me so I don't want to mess it up.

Here's a pic of what it looks like now.

Attachments

• madison.jpg
    madison.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 29
i think those are hotstamped, so it will run.

MVP stamps can be very deep, so be careful with your vinyl application!

2 random questions:

1) What is everyone's preference for weeding? Do you like to weed on the disc, or before the transfer? I weeded the disc I did of that dog's face on the disc and it was a huge pain in the a**. The thin lines were so thin that the strength of vinyl stuck on disc was stronger than the piece of vinyl itself, so I couldn't just start it and pull the whole outline off, I had to pick it off mm by mm and it sucked. Doing another dog one now and weeded prior to the transfer and it was infinitely easier.

2) What do people use for preventing dye from getting on the back of the rim during a spin dye or other tye dye where the dye is on the disc? I have just been taping the back off with electrical tape. So far about 25% of the time it works perfectly, but most of the time a bit of dye gets under the tape at the point where the tape starts - any suggestions for this?

I use Styrofoam plates with a hole in the center to spin dye. Very rarely get dye on the back if spin dyeing only.

Here's what I am talking about. For this one I had a bunch of dye just sitting on the disc and therefore dripping over the rim. I tried to tape off the rim but a bit got through.

Same happens for ones that I spin a ring onto the very edge of the disc.

Attachments

• bad tape.jpg
    bad tape.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 24
1) What is everyone's preference for weeding? Do you like to weed on the disc, or before the transfer? I weeded the disc I did of that dog's face on the disc and it was a huge pain in the a**. The thin lines were so thin that the strength of vinyl stuck on disc was stronger than the piece of vinyl itself, so I couldn't just start it and pull the whole outline off, I had to pick it off mm by mm and it sucked. Doing another dog one now and weeded prior to the transfer and it was infinitely easier.
I used to do all my weeding off disc and then transfer to the disc. Since then I have learned it is much easier to weed on the disc especially if you have fine details you want to stay on the disc. They don't move around as much. I agree it is easier to weed fine detail off the disc if you are removing it. But much more difficult if you are leaving it.

2) What do people use for preventing dye from getting on the back of the rim during a spin dye or other tye dye where the dye is on the disc? I have just been taping the back off with electrical tape. So far about 25% of the time it works perfectly, but most of the time a bit of dye gets under the tape at the point where the tape starts - any suggestions for this?
I think with that style of dye you are more likely to get dye on the bottom. I would probably just expect it as part of the process and not worry about it.

What's the recommended vinyl to use for people doing hot dyes? I learned (sorry sg) that my Avery paint mask vinyl was getting warped in hot dye. I have Oracal 631 and 651, as well. Would you recommend doing those for anything with heat? Thanks!

Oracal 651

is the dyers guild still active? If so I think NoThingness may need to be kicked out. I know one guy asked for a custom dye for his wedding and it took the dude like 4 months to give him a refund and the discs back.