• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

2) What do people use for preventing dye from getting on the back of the rim during a spin dye or other tye dye where the dye is on the disc? I have just been taping the back off with electrical tape. So far about 25% of the time it works perfectly, but most of the time a bit of dye gets under the tape at the point where the tape starts - any suggestions for this?

It was mentioned in the "Dye a Day" thread that Elmer's glue was used as a masking media. Maybe applying some with a brush to the bottom of your disc will prevent the dye from getting where it isn't wanted.

Peace,
-Jeff

It was mentioned in the "Dye a Day" thread that Elmer's glue was used as a masking media. Maybe applying some with a brush to the bottom of your disc will prevent the dye from getting where it isn't wanted.

Peace,
-Jeff

:doh: Its so simple yet so brilliant! Thank you, i never would have put 2 and 2 together here. I see no reason that wouldnt work. Ill try it soon and post the results.

So I am new to this site, never really was interested in disc dyeing till I was told to check it out in another forum, what's it all about? What do I need to know, what do I need to dye some of my own discs? Is it pretty easy? I am assuming it is as I see tons of people dyeing their discs. If anyone has a forum that gives us noobies a introduction to disc dyeing that would be sweet!

Just read through Dan Howards 'Disc Dyeing Basics, Techniques, and Tutorial' sticky in this forum.

And feel free to ask questions - someone will likely have an answer.

Just read through Dan Howards 'Disc Dyeing Basics, Techniques, and Tutorial' sticky in this forum.

And feel free to ask questions - someone will likely have an answer.

Thank you, glad someone replied with some advice to get started or see what it's all about! :thmbup:

Someone recently mentioned Goo Gone - is that safe to use? Will it smear the dye at all?

Anyone have any other tricks for getting all the goo off a disc? It's a real pain sometimes.

Someone recently mentioned Goo Gone - is that safe to use? Will it smear the dye at all?

Anyone have any other tricks for getting all the goo off a disc? It's a real pain sometimes.

Seems to me it would leave behind an oily residue...I tried some goo remover stuff before in a spray bottle and had minimal to crappy results with it so I went right back to acetone. I think a microfiber towel would be ideal for this technique although in the past I usually just used a paper towel.

I know what ya mean though, some stamps can be a huge pain in the ass especially some red stamps on white discs, then also some discraft stamps are a nightmare to try to remove.

Not the stamps, just the residue left behind from the vinyl is what I am talking about. It's really hard to get it all off sometimes.

goo gone works wonderfully. I have been using it for quite a while. Just make sure you don't get the industrial version or goof off. Both of those will eat the disc.

Not the stamps, just the residue left behind from the vinyl is what I am talking about. It's really hard to get it all off sometimes.

Ahhh...gotcha. I usually just use rubbing alcohol on that and a nice gritty paper towel...Cant hurt to throw it in the freezer overnight before doing this though. I recall a few people stating that this helps the dye to set. Seems to help.

FWIW, I try not to use chemicals to remove any vinyl adhesive left behind on the disc whenever possible. I will use a piece of scrap vinyl or strong masking tape to pull it off. Using a "tap & twist" motion will get it all off, usually without too much effort. I think temp has a lot to do with how easy or hard it is to remove adhesive. This method seems to work best after a rinse in warm water.

Peace,
-Jeff

Hmm...never thought about trying to use vinyl - I'll give it a shot tonight. I tried rubbing alcohol in the past and it always smeared the dye so I stopped, and I assume Goo Gone would do the same.

Goo Gone doesn't do anything to the dye, at least everytime i have used it it only takes off residue and never effects the dye.

I had alot of residue left on the top disc and used goo gone over the whole surface, and it was uneffected.

NsKXtEf.jpg

m1XzbzP.jpg

Has anyone ever tried dye, specifically detergent or shaving cream tye dye on pearly westside tourney plastic? i was hoping it would take dye similar to gold line and hoping to set this up tomorrow.

Goo Gone doesn't do anything to the dye, at least everytime i have used it it only takes off residue and never effects the dye.

This. I've never had issues with using goo gone. Acetone on the other hand(speaking more specifically to removing a stamp after dyeing) will fade the hell out of a dye as you would expect.

when painting with dye do you just mix the soap and dye? or do you add acetone or water or something? looking to do a hand painted piece and having trouble finding info on this technique. thanks in advacne
-Shue

When I paint I use a mix of just dye and laundry detergent. Sometimes use a drop or 2 of acetone to thin it out, but for the most part i think detergent has a good consistency for painting.

When I paint I use a mix of just dye and laundry detergent. Sometimes use a drop or 2 of acetone to thin it out, but for the most part i think detergent has a good consistency for painting.
Thank you! Just paint on and let sit? Or does it take quick