• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

What's the faster way? Just cover up and restencil? I don't like the peel it off an out on a new one, because it would seem impossible to line it back up perfectly.

You don't cut a new stencil and try to line it up BC u are right, that is impossible. Cover the disc in uncut vinyl, then cut on the disc. You will need vinyl you can see through for that, preferably clear stuff.

I see, so you just put clear vinyl over the already died parts and cut around that, that makes sense. I'll have to try that. My buddy wants me to dye the Baltimore Ravens Logo, full color.

Negative.

RIT whitener and brightener liquid absolutely will not work to make your discs white. It is a laundry treatment. It is not white dye. The product line name is "RIT Dye", this does not mean the product in the bottle is 'dye'. This is a product one would use in the laundry room in place of a bleach. Normal use of it is to whiten and brighten up a white colored item like socks, sheets, shirts, or underwear. "whiten and brighten", not color or dye something that is not white to the color white. This product is most comparable to OxiClean.

Feel free to try though, as this salty slurry will very likely just wipe off and do nothing to your discs.

I see, so you just put clear vinyl over the already died parts and cut around that, that makes sense. I'll have to try that. My buddy wants me to dye the Baltimore Ravens Logo, full color.

Remember though, that you need not remask for every color. To do the Ravens symbol I would cut the outlines of all black, purple and red (the eye). Then weed off the black and dip that. Then you can weed off the purple and dip that without a remask, since dyeing black sections with purple won't do anything. Then weed off the red of the eye and color that by painting, trying not to get red on the purple section, since that could change the purple a little, but by the looks it should be easy to avoid that.

Then at this point I would remask and cut the gold sections out and color those with whatever method u like.

Fast question :

Picked up 2 Icon ghosts and 2 tourney plastic Giants all white and new.

How does the dye time on them (room temp shaving cream or detergent mix and I dye ) compare to Star or Champ ?

Zero interest in them as throwers , just want to throw on a clean dye and trade them off.

Thanks!

Icon plastic is very similar to star. Tournament plastic is my favorite plastic to dye. It takes a little longer for the dye to take. However it also takes longer for the dye to fade when compared to star.

Can somebody point me in a direction to buy Idye Poly on line?

I am looking to buy several colors and have them ship from the same location. The only thing I am finding is on Amazon and getting multiple colors on multiple shipped orders.

Anyone have any tips for taking great pictures of a disc?

I feel like the quality of your picture means a lot in Okthrowberfest.

So where can I find some dye at retail? I saw Rit at a couple stores but from what I've read it hasn't been good for plastic in years.

Is there an ultimate or beach style disc that is made of star type plastic?

I know that Ultra Stars, Whamos, and Flash Flight ultimate discs do not take dye. Thats why they are the best for shaving cream beds or cool-temp dip dyes.

Anyone have any tips for taking great pictures of a disc?

I feel like the quality of your picture means a lot in Okthrowberfest.

Build a light box. You can google how to build one on the very cheap, or get something like this for about $25.
Get a couple inexpensive desk lamps or use some you might have lieing around the house. After that, any decent camera or even cell phone will take a good pic.

So where can I find some dye at retail? I saw Rit at a couple stores but from what I've read it hasn't been good for plastic in years.

Amazon again or many online craft stores will have iDye Poly. That's the easiest solution. Make sure you get iDye Poly.

Haven't seen it in stores, but I usually get mine through fabric.com