• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

What's the water to dye ratio (idye poly)? I would assume it depends on the shade your going for too right, or is the time in the dye that determines that?

And if I want to set the disc face down and have a bubbled look to the disc dye do you add dish soap to it and agitate?

I know these are vague questions, and help is appreciated. Thanks

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it was one packet dissolved in 32oz of lukewarm water. I am yet to use it, so you may want to double check that.

What's the water to dye ratio (idye poly)? I would assume it depends on the shade your going for too right, or is the time in the dye that determines that?

And if I want to set the disc face down and have a bubbled look to the disc dye do you add dish soap to it and agitate?

I know these are vague questions, and help is appreciated. Thanks

I usually use 5-6 cups of warm water to dissolve the dye packet. The time you leave the disc in the dye and temperature of the dye will have a stronger influence on the shade of the color on the disc, unless you really water it down.

I haven't tried the bubble technique yet, so I don't know about that.

Keith

Noob question;

Can you use worm dye (having acetone) in a shaving cream bed and or with a Elmer's glue mask?

Noob question;

Can you use worm dye (having acetone) in a shaving cream bed and or with a Elmer's glue mask?

There is no reason you couldn't I suppose as long as you aren't worried about the stamp...The only thing that some may be concerned with would be leaving a disc in acetone for any extended amount of time...people have reported that it has the tendency to warp the disc and/or affect the plastic itself. Worth a shot maybe to test it on old plastic and see how you like it first.

^ thanks for the response. Since worm dye sets in instantly I guess a shaving cream dye with it would only need a fraction of the time? Trial and error, here we come.

Noob question;

I did this once. Worked fine, didn't notice any ill effects from the acetone in the worm dye. This disc was white - it's tough to see but the background is now green/orange - that's the Worm/SC dye.

Just never tried it again because other dyes have better colors anyway. Really, I have stopped using worm dye almost completely (except pink and green very rarely)

Attachments

• orionls.jpg
    orionls.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 25
I did this once. Worked fine, didn't notice any ill effects from the acetone in the worm dye. This disc was white - it's tough to see but the background is now green/orange - that's the Worm/SC dye.

Just never tried it again because other dyes have better colors anyway. Really, I have stopped using worm dye almost completely (except pink and green very rarely)

Good to know, I didn't know if the worm dye/acetone would melt the shaving cream or not. I'll give it a try sometime, just because I have so much worm dye already. Nice dye by the way, looks very crisp.

What are the "best" dye brands. By best I would consider a few factors

1) cost
2) availability (does it have to be ordered i.e. pylam)
3) useability (do i need a chemistry degree to properly mix it)
4) color quality

I have a handful of idye poly colors, I wasn't aware they made it in some of the newer colors, but have been looking for some brighter colors for the off chance I get a white disc that can take any color that I want.

Does anybody a reliable method to doing a partial dye and leaving the stamp intact?

IE: I want to dye a small logo on some discs but I want to leave the stamp alone. In the past the vinyl has always pulled the stamp off either entirely or in partial. Any workarounds you'd like to share?

Does anybody a reliable method to doing a partial dye and leaving the stamp intact?

IE: I want to dye a small logo on some discs but I want to leave the stamp alone. In the past the vinyl has always pulled the stamp off either entirely or in partial. Any workarounds you'd like to share?

Missed the edit window:
I prefer to dip dye only because that's what I'm most practiced in. Also the few times I've tried to achieve a similar effect to what I'm after now with painting the dye, the acetone I used in the dye ate away at the vinyl causing bleeds. Perhaps a different medium for the dye is a better option?

Missed the edit window:
I prefer to dip dye only because that's what I'm most practiced in. Also the few times I've tried to achieve a similar effect to what I'm after now with painting the dye, the acetone I used in the dye ate away at the vinyl causing bleeds. Perhaps a different medium for the dye is a better option?

A couple of suggestions...

You may try covering just the stamp you would like to preserve with a "low tack" masking tape or painters tape, then place your vinyl mask over that. As long as you have enough room between the stamp and the logo you are dyeing to achieve a good "seal"...it should work with dipping.

Otherwise, heating whatever dye solution just before brushing it on (without acetone, of course!), should help it take better.

Peace,
-Jeff

I am planning on a dye on a star dart putter which has a dome to it. I want to dye a pattern to the flight plate edge.

Any ideas on how to apply the mask where it doesn't crimp up on the edge as you flatten it out on the dome?

QUESTION ABOUT FACTORY STAMPS:

I have seen a lot of really cool dyes with the factory stamp intact. They obviously dyed over the stamp, but it was not affected. So if I do a dye say with Rit, and leave the stamp on, will the dye not effect that part?

I have a really cool idea for my 12x Firebird, but want to leave the original stamp on, and dye over/around it.

How is this done?

Like this here:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 29
The factory stamp shouldn't be effected if you're just doing a dip dye with water and Rit, Idye, etc. I think where you have to watch out is if you start using shaving cream, acetone, etc as a medium for the dye.

Keith

QUESTION ABOUT FACTORY STAMPS:

I have seen a lot of really cool dyes with the factory stamp intact. They obviously dyed over the stamp, but it was not affected. So if I do a dye say with Rit, and leave the stamp on, will the dye not effect that part?

I have a really cool idea for my 12x Firebird, but want to leave the original stamp on, and dye over/around it.

How is this done?

Like this here:

kfeldt is right, it shouldn't affect the stamp. Just a warning though, if you are new to dying, iDye is a safer bet than Rit. Rit changed their formula awhile back so newer Rit no longer works on discs.

kfeldt is right, it shouldn't affect the stamp. Just a warning though, if you are new to dying, iDye is a safer bet than Rit. Rit changed their formula awhile back so newer Rit no longer works on discs.

Sweet, thanks. I still have access to the old Rit, but I'll keep an eye out for Idye too. Oh I'm so excited now.

It's simple, I'm just doing the Pontiac Firebird logo on my Firebird, but it's going to look sweet!