• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

Any ideas on how to apply the mask where it doesn't crimp up on the edge as you flatten it out on the dome?
I've had decent luck with using contact paper to mask with. One of the nice things about it is that it stretches a little, making it easier to apply smoothly on a dome. However, this can lead to distorted lines and you need to be very thorough with smoothing the edges.

I've had decent luck with using contact paper to mask with. One of the nice things about it is that it stretches a little, making it easier to apply smoothly on a dome. However, this can lead to distorted lines and you need to be very thorough with smoothing the edges.

The problem I have had with contact paper is it gets old, you can't really get through a hole roll unless you do like 20 dyes that week.
Also getting to hot. I have a few dyes with very bad bleeds because it got too hot and the contact paper didn't hold.

That being said, when everything goes well, I have done some amazingly detailed dyes with contact paper that turn out great

Well, I've searched and read but just can't find the direct answer. So how well does black worm dye hold up and can it be applied with a vinyl stencil without bleeding through?

Well, I've searched and read but just can't find the direct answer. So how well does black worm dye hold up and can it be applied with a vinyl stencil without bleeding through?

I have seen spin dyes done with the yellow worm dye and they held up well. Never seen black used, other than iDye poly.

I'd stick with Idye Poly when using a vinyl mask. Worm dyes contain acetone, which can attack the adhesive of the masking material, making it more likely to bleed.

That said, I've done spin dyes with the (Spike-It) black worm dye, and had mixed results. Seems to be better for Champion type plastic. It acts much like a Sharpie, and can leave a film that will smear. I end up wiping it with alcohol to remove the residue of the black worm dye. After that, it has held up well. Still, I prefer Idye Poly.

Peace,
-Jeff

I've used the black worm dye this week and it is useable but doesn't have as deep or dark a color as the idye poly.

I would of answered this if I would of seen this in time...I probably have this answered and buried somewhere in these threads...Hard to find though, im sure...

Yes black worm dye sucks. I bought some and used it once and that was it...Idye black for black lines is the way to go.

My favs out of the worm dye, or at least the ones I use are (in order) pink, green, chartreuse, red and blue. I also mix and match some of those to achieve other certain shades.

Are you using spike it worm dye or quick coat?

I'd stick with Idye Poly when using a vinyl mask. Worm dyes contain acetone, which can attack the adhesive of the masking material, making it more likely to bleed.

That said, I've done spin dyes with the (Spike-It) black worm dye, and had mixed results. Seems to be better for Champion type plastic. It acts much like a Sharpie, and can leave a film that will smear. I end up wiping it with alcohol to remove the residue of the black worm dye. After that, it has held up well. Still, I prefer Idye Poly.

Peace,
-Jeff

Good timing Jeff ;) Think we got to that one almost the exact same time

I would of answered this if I would of seen this in time...I probably have this answered and buried somewhere in these threads...Hard to find though, im sure...

Yes black worm dye sucks. I bought some and used it once and that was it...Idye black for black lines is the way to go.

My favs out of the worm dye, or at least the ones I use are (in order) pink, green, chartreuse, red and blue. I also mix and match some of those to achieve other certain shades.

Are you using spike it worm dye or quick coat?

I like the colors you mentioned as well. I didn't get the green and wish I had. The blue however I haven't found to be too strong. It has been a very light blue for me.

Odyssey,

How do you mix your idye poly and acetone?

I just got my first packets of idye poly and did a one teaspoon idye to 2 tablespoon acetone mix. The idye didn't seem to dissolve as well as I'd expect in the acetone. Does it just need a little time to fully dissolve?

Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out how to get a midnight blue with the shaving cream method.

Any Suggestions?
My best guess would be to mix the standard iDye blue with a touch of iDye black, maybe a 5-to-1 ratio. This will darken the blue a bit. I would maybe even add a touch of red, just to give it some flavor. Whatever color ratio you use, I would add a good amount of it to your SC/dye mix. If you don't get enough dye in there, it'll come out kinda pale.

What are the "best" dye brands. By best I would consider a few factors

1) cost
2) availability (does it have to be ordered i.e. pylam)
3) useability (do i need a chemistry degree to properly mix it)
4) color quality

I have a handful of idye poly colors, I wasn't aware they made it in some of the newer colors, but have been looking for some brighter colors for the off chance I get a white disc that can take any color that I want.

Is there an answer to this question? I tried searching through the forum but all I find is that RIT dye might not work...

I am looking to do either the shaving cream method to do Tye Dye or the marbling.

Thanks!

I would go with idye poly as the easiest to use and find. Although you may need to order it online depending on where you live.

Yes. Make sure you get Idye Poly and not regular Idye. I've had good success with Black, Brown, Blue, Red, and Turquoise. I haven't had such good luck with Yellow and Green. I haven't tried the other colors yet.

Keith

Thanks so much! I have a ton of factory seconds to dye

I'm working on my first multicolor dyes with iDye and ran into a serious problem with colors mixing to each others.
I've been using rubbing alcohol + iDye and I brush this mix on stencil. This works great if I'd do dyes only with one color. With the multicolor dyes I start by brushing the black on. But when I use another color (yellow or red for example), the alcohol on these mix's seems to dissolve the already painted black color and mix it into the just painted area. It also makes lines blurry. I know that this could be avoided by masking the black dyed area again, but with pics that has lots of details, it would take ages. And black will not take any real damage if you paint lighter colors on it. It's different with other colors which will of course turn into another color if you paint on them without remasking.
But I'm lazy so is there a shortcut somewhere? I have rinsed the disc carefully with warm runny water evereytime before I start the next color to get rid of excess color.

I'm working on my first multicolor dyes with iDye and ran into a serious problem with colors mixing to each others.
I've been using rubbing alcohol + iDye and I brush this mix on stencil. This works great if I'd do dyes only with one color. With the multicolor dyes I start by brushing the black on. But when I use another color (yellow or red for example), the alcohol on these mix's seems to dissolve the already painted black color and mix it into the just painted area. It also makes lines blurry. I know that this could be avoided by masking the black dyed area again, but with pics that has lots of details, it would take ages. And black will not take any real damage if you paint lighter colors on it. It's different with other colors which will of course turn into another color if you paint on them without remasking.
But I'm lazy so is there a shortcut somewhere? I have rinsed the disc carefully with warm runny water evereytime before I start the next color to get rid of excess color.

And I ran up to another problem right after I send the post above.

I tested the remasking on some of the area that was already painted to prevent the scenario above. Well after I ripped the mask of, I noticed that it took some of the color with it making the remasked area lighter then before.

I'm having some real troubles keeping the colors right and the lines sharp.

I start the next color right after I have rinsed the disc. Would more time between colors help?

Am i missing out on something all these tutorials say apply dye mix.
what is a dye mix haha i have idye poly what do i mix it with?

cheers