• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

Question

If a disc has ink on it and you dye it does it hide the ink or does it still come throw. Bought some 11x teebirds from pias and they are covered in crap.

Black sharpie? Only kind of.

I don't have a picture, but I dyed a disc completely black once and could see my name and number fairly easily.

You guys know I'm no noob, but I've never had a good, consistent green. When I've needed it, I've mixed different Rit greens or a mix of mostly yellows with a little blues.
I'm looking for a consistent green mix --- I have a few I need to dye with a good green color, and need a keeper's batch.
Any recommendations are appreciated! Worm dyes, blends, what have you, let me know!

You guys know I'm no noob, but I've never had a good, consistent green. When I've needed it, I've mixed different Rit greens or a mix of mostly yellows with a little blues.
I'm looking for a consistent green mix --- I have a few I need to dye with a good green color, and need a keeper's batch.
Any recommendations are appreciated! Worm dyes, blends, what have you, let me know!

I would say pylam is gonna be the way to go...Only decent green I have come across. It is a very versatile green too as you can easily darken it adding a bit of blue, or you can go the other route and add some of pylams fluorescent yellow and pull off sick looking neon greens.

That would be my suggestion...I also have heard word that Pylam is in fact still providing free 1 oz. samples...i'll pm you a contact at pylam in case you are interested in giving it a whirl.

Good luck on your color quest man!

Yep! What Odyssey said! :thmbup:

The outer SC dye on this one is done with Pylam Bright Green and Fl. Yellow. Also (for reference), the skin color on "Full Moon Feast" was dipped hot with a combination of both.

Peace,
-Jeff

Attachments

• 6b936462-9ee2-4a30-a045-5dfbe2605112_zps6cb1649f.jpg
    6b936462-9ee2-4a30-a045-5dfbe2605112_zps6cb1649f.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 25
iDye poly green works. Not kelly green, it turns into a weird blue gray mess. Both of the greens in this shot were done with iDye poly green. Moonshine plastic for reference.

20141204_193141.jpg

Excellent! Thanks for the help guys, I love each of you for helping, that's what this thread is all about!

Yep! What Odyssey said! :thmbup:

The outer SC dye on this one is done with Pylam Bright Green and Fl. Yellow. Also (for reference), the skin color on "Full Moon Feast" was dipped hot with a combination of both.
What about the center color, the darker "A's" color?

iDye poly green works. Not kelly green, it turns into a weird blue gray mess. Both of the greens in this shot were done with iDye poly green. Moonshine plastic for reference.

20141204_193141.jpg

Different lengths of dip for the different shades, or did you darken with black or blue?

Sweet. Just looked through my dye wares and I have two packets of iDye Poly Green. I will still be getting in with Pylam, but will be testing the iDye Green this weekend.

Best of luck with it. I was very wary of iDye greens after a mishap with the "kelly green", but their plain green was a pleasant surprise.

So I have never dyed a disc before but want to try it out soon. I would like to do a yin yang (black and white) and was hoping for some helpful hints. Should I buy a stencil or am I better off making my own? What Innova plastic is best for dyeing? Recommendations on a specific dye brand?

So I have never dyed a disc before but want to try it out soon. I would like to do a yin yang (black and white) and was hoping for some helpful hints. Should I buy a stencil or am I better off making my own? What Innova plastic is best for dyeing? Recommendations on a specific dye brand?

1) More fun to do it yourself
2) Star
3) iDye Poly

One more quick question... Does it make a difference what color the vinyl is?

Not for the dyeing part, but how are you planning to get your design onto the vinyl? If you want to draw it or use dark transfer paper, you might want white vinyl or some other light color.

Keith

Best of luck with it. I was very wary of iDye greens after a mishap with the "kelly green", but their plain green was a pleasant surprise.

Welp that didn't work. Regular poly green looks more gray shades at different times than any kind of green. Maybe it's the batch, maybe it's the Star plastic I'm testing on, but it is in no way "green." Back to the drawing board....