• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

How do you tell if an eagle is an eagle l or eagle x?

both-eagles.jpg

Why do people think it's okay to start on any hole besides hole one? :)

3 entrances to my home course (cedar hills in Raleigh, NC) and for some reason 1 is always jammed, so I usually start on 5. Unless I swing by PIAS first, then I start on 12

all while playing by myself

my theory is start whereever you want, just don't hold people up

Here's something I don't quite understand, mainly because I only throw "BH" if I'm putting. Everything else for me is FH.

When approaching with a BH, do you still throw with your legs and torso, or do you just use your arm to put snap on it and get it where it needs to go? I understand (on paper) what it takes to get distance drives with the throwing with your body concept, but does the same apply when you aren't going for max distance, or even pitching for approach shots?

Here's something I don't quite understand, mainly because I only throw "BH" if I'm putting. Everything else for me is FH.

When approaching with a BH, do you still throw with your legs and torso, or do you just use your arm to put snap on it and get it where it needs to go? I understand (on paper) what it takes to get distance drives with the throwing with your body concept, but does the same apply when you aren't going for max distance, or even pitching for approach shots?

For me atleast, I use mainly my upper body from the waist up. I plant my feet then turn my torso according to the distance. If its just a small pitch, I might just use all arm

I am like you and have had some issues, being as tha I am changing from being a mainly FH thrower. I have found that wrist action and mainly arms keeps me more consistent, just letting the disc do what it needs to do. I don't use much legs at all when approaching from around 200 in

Last edited:

It's more important to keep some key elements in the throw at all times. Smooth, snap, pivot and followthrough. Regardless, if you're x-stepping or throwing from a standstill, it's important to followthrough which isn't always easy to do from standstills. In terms of how much legs/torso to use, you basically want to use at least some IMO. The only time you don't use your legs/torso is when in your in putting territory and even then they still play a big part, especially on long putts.

On approaches, I use a throw where I'm facing the basket at kind of a 45° angle (technically 135° if the basket is 90°). Then I pull from low to high in a natural hyzer and snap something stable-understable (usually an Ion or Fuse) and send the disc off on a baby hyzer or a little hyzerflip if I'm going for it. But that's just what I do, find out what works best for you. Just make sure it feels natural, consistent, and easy to reproduce.

Beating in a disc

Im not too much of a noobie, but I was wondering about something that I thought fit this thread. When talking about bearing in a disc, I know that it means they all generally just become less stable, all the way to super flippy. And the rate depends a lot on plastic type.

But to the best of anyone's knowledge, is there a level of beat-in-ness that is a, for lack of a better word, ceiling? To phrase it more simply, does a disc ever get "fully" beat in to a point where flight isn't really effected any more? Or does it keep on getting less and less stable until it's just unusable?

Thanks in advance.

It kind of depends on your definition of unusable, mold to mold. What's unusable for some makes a great roller disc for others. For example, I have a Star Teerex that is actually flippy. I can not conceive of a purpose for this disc but as an overstable disc it's definitely unusable. Your base plastic molds (DX, Pro D, etc) probably become the most unusable if any.

There's a couple good disc flight and physics threads that might answer this better.

Surely, it refers to the Ken Climo signature discs and how many times he was a world champ. For instance, the 10x is any disc with that insignia denoting his 10th world championship. You throw wraiths...there are currently 12x wraiths available to fly!!

alot of people us this to date the discs as well... and if they changed the mold or plastic makeup of a certain disc it might make one more desirable over another...

i don't know the years but say he won his 10th in 2005 and his 11th in 2008... you would be able to figure the age of the disc by this method....

HOw can the change molds and still call it a wraith? wouldn't it be something different if they changed it?

Surely, it refers to the Ken Climo signature discs and how many times he was a world champ. For instance, the 10x is any disc with that insignia denoting his 10th world championship. You throw wraiths...there are currently 12x wraiths available to fly!!

Sweet thanks. So there is no physical difference.

Sweet thanks. So there is no physical difference.

Physical difference, I would say yes. Different "signature discs" were run at different times (as the above post states) and therefore plastic among the runs varies. From what I understand, 10x discs are blended with remnants of CE plastic (the good stuff), 11x are slightly better than todays stock production (and flatter), and anything 12x is just your run-of-the-mill Champion/Star/KCPro plastic.

Anything before 10x I'm not too sure about.

And it's not limited to the champ. Nate Doss also has some 2x out there, Juliana Korver and Barry Schultz have some of their own too.

3 entrances to my home course (cedar hills in Raleigh, NC) and for some reason 1 is always jammed, so I usually start on 5. Unless I swing by PIAS first, then I start on 12

all while playing by myself

my theory is start whereever you want, just don't hold people up

One is always jammed because people are starting at hole 5 and 12. This creates a second and third line on the course. Theoretically, if you wait in the line on hole one, and everyone plays the course correctly, that will be the only lengthily line you wait in.

Everytime I try and use a power grip, I get grip lock. Is this an issue with my timing, or am I gripping the disc too hard?

Latest posts