• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I've searched and can't find the "basics".
Could somebody please explain what exactly an Ace Race is? Is it different for every course... rules, pin placement, doubles, can a newbie play? etc...

There's an Ace Race coming to a local course and I have no idea how this even works. If I were to enter, what would I need? Is it a good idea to think I could compete? Wouldn't care about my standing so much as having fun, I guess I just wouldn't want to be "in the wrong place at the wrong time".

Is there a beginner class?

At a Discraft Ace Race event, you will get a couple of discs (and some other stuff too). All of the holes will be shortened and you can only use these discs. You'll get one throw for each hole. Winner is the one with the most aces.

Why do people think it's okay to start on any hole besides hole one? :)

There are 2 places to start that are proper, 1 & 10 in general terms. Some layouts are just horrible in thought, so generally the layout will tell you. Example, West City Park in Festus, MO. #1 is a tiny gravel area with very little parking, and #10 is completely on the other side of the park. Whereas, #9 & #18 both tee off in front of this huge paved parking lot, lots of room. So it is a no brainer, treat 18 + 1 through 8 as the front 9, and 9 + 10 through 17 as the back 9.

Beyond that, starting on odd holes is just in poor taste.

I have played rounds where people have literally walked right by me, and started on the hole after me while I was putting. Of course, to let them know how rude it was, I walked past them and started the next hole in front of them. I would encourage you to do the same if the situation arose.

Then there are the people who have played a course so long, they think rules and hole numbers do not apply to them, and they act like Jerry's kids...not Lewis, but Jerry Springer..."I do what I want!". I was playing number 3 by myself at one course and a 4 person group was playing number 10. Then while I was on the teebox at number 4, they walked up behind me to play number 4 as well. Makes sense, hunh? While I was walking to my disc, they started teeing off.... they didn't get too close to me walking, they knew they made me mad. After playing 5-8 more quickly than normal to get some distance from them, I tee off on 9, when here they come again, after they played 4 they played 5 then skipped 6-8 and walked to 9. They were a nuisance. It is just poor taste and bad etiquette.

On a very crowded course, maybe. Otherwise, think bigger picture here. If there aren't any other players/groups in sight, then what does it matter which hole is the first played?

I agree with this. Sometimes when I head to one of my local courses, The Player's Course at Alum Creek, I find it easier, parking wise, to start on hole three. It ends up putting me right back at my car plus the parking near one can easily get your car hit with an errant drive. However I would never do this if say there was someone, single or group playing hole two. I would either start at one or wait until they had played through before I began.

All that said if the course is packed and you start in front of a group or single, you're a total dick. They taught you how to wait your turn in kindergarten.

There are 2 places to start that are proper, 1 & 10 in general terms. Some layouts are just horrible in thought, so generally the layout will tell you. Example, West City Park in Festus, MO. #1 is a tiny gravel area with very little parking, and #10 is completely on the other side of the park. Whereas, #9 & #18 both tee off in front of this huge paved parking lot, lots of room. So it is a no brainer, treat 18 + 1 through 8 as the front 9, and 9 + 10 through 17 as the back 9.

Beyond that, starting on odd holes is just in poor taste.

On a very crowded course, maybe. Otherwise, think bigger picture here. If there aren't any other players/groups in sight, then what does it matter which hole is the first played?

I agree with this. Sometimes when I head to one of my local courses, The Player's Course at Alum Creek, I find it easier, parking wise, to start on hole three. It ends up putting me right back at my car plus the parking near one can easily get your car hit with an errant drive. However I would never do this if say there was someone, single or group playing hole two. I would either start at one or wait until they had played through before I began.

All that said if the course is packed and you start in front of a group or single, you're a total dick. They taught you how to wait your turn in kindergarten.

Understand the context I am talking about.

If there is no one else in sight, you can start on whatever hole you want, in whatever order you want to play them in, while in the nude, using lawn darts instead of discs... [maybe not legally, but hey, who is going to stop you? :thmbup: ]

Also, some courses are odd in set up, like I mentioned West City, it is better to start on 9 and 18 than to go to hole 1.

But in context that there are disc golfers scattered throughout the course, start either on the front 9 or the back 9. Even people playing the front 9 coming to the back usually do not mind a break, to add score, and reflect a moment on their game. Otherwise, really, what is an extra 5 minutes at the practice basket, or organizing your bag or planning out your game... taking off your clothes and getting your favorite lawn dart... :)

Recently I took the good advice of reducing down my drivers, and stopped with the Bosses and Nukes. At first I was not really liking throwing the TL, but I couldn't help but notice the more I threw it, the father it went. I was practicing rollers on a hole I am familiar with, and I know I got one out 350. Then I threw the TL flat in the air, and it went farther than my longest roller disc. Yesterday I played a course that I had to cross a soccer field to get to. I measured from goal to goal was almost 300ft. The full field would be 320-330. When leaving the park, I stood at the top corner, and threw the TL across the field, over the fence, and into the street, which I know is +350ft.

So my question. At what point do I consider throwing the long drivers again?

i would step up to a slower D driver before you jump back to the fastest of the fast.

maybe orc or something around that speed.

Potato cannons are completely legal until you shoot someone with it.

My brother and I built a wicked potato cannon when we were teens.

A friend of the family was a firearms instructor for the police and borrowed it to demonstrate to new officers that you don't need a gun to be dangerous. All you needed was some abs piping, WD40 and a sack of potatoes

My brother and I built a wicked potato cannon when we were teens.

A friend of the family was a firearms instructor for the police and borrowed it to demonstrate to new officers that you don't need a gun to be dangerous. All you needed was some abs piping, WD40 and a sack of potatoes

Sounds cool. We use more ether (carb cleaner or engine starter). 4" x 36" chamber to 66" barrel.

Attachments

• spud gun2.jpg
    spud gun2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 35
In the meantime, jarts (e.g. lawn darts) are illegal to sell in the US, not illegal to own or play...FWIW.

and for good reason, i have a quarter sized dent in my head from one of these

do you think jarts will sell for a lot since they're OOP, and apperently need to be sold on the black market

Last edited:
No more than $50 because they can be purchased legally from Crown Datrs. If purchased as individual parts through separate orders, you bypass the US regulations that ban the purchase of "complete sets" of jarts.

/jart discussion

I'm having trouble getting my mids to fly in a desirable way. I've noticed that I approach a disc like a destroyer far differently than say a zbuzzz from a tee shot. Seems that I get the nose up too much on my mids leaving the disc to arc up and fade right at low speed(LHBH). not a noob but this is a part of my game that is just changing too often. Any tech advice on getting a correct full throw on mid discs?

I'm having trouble getting my mids to fly in a desirable way. I've noticed that I approach a disc like a destroyer far differently than say a zbuzzz from a tee shot. Seems that I get the nose up too much on my mids leaving the disc to arc up and fade right at low speed(LHBH). not a noob but this is a part of my game that is just changing too often. Any tech advice on getting a correct full throw on mid discs?

it may be a grip issue, a faster mid like a buzz definitely needs more nose down than a regular mid to fly flat and for good control/distance. read the grip tutorial on DGR when you get a chance.

Please excuse me if this has been asked before and I overlooked it...but here is a dumb question ( I am sure) that I dont know the answer to: I received a bag tag from PDGA...What am I supposed to do with it? It has a small hole in it, am I supposed to use it as a zipper pull or something?

Latest posts