• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Towel drill
Playing catch with a putter or ultimate/catch disc

Yeah, I love playing catch before I play. I use a SuperSonic or SuperHero, both are tons of fun. Always handy in case you're waiting for a late arrival to the group to show up.

In NC, we have an unspoken rule of throwing 2 drives on the first hole, it helps a little.

Does anyone have an estimate on the average amount if time before a newb tournament player gets sick of tournaments and stops attending them?

Took me about a year or two. I still play in a few per year, but only one or maybe two sanctioned events (they have to be fun). For the most part, I can't imagine unsanctioned events turning new golfers off.

I am curious about something.

If I'm playing with a limited bag and only have a driver that is, at best, mildly overstable, and I come up to a pretty moderate headwind, how much is it going to help me to throw it on a firm hyzer?

Think 2-3/10 beat valk. So flat is going to turn over pretty good. But is a hyzer going to flip up and hold? Or flip up and still turn over?

2-3/10 does not equal mildly overstable. that is fliptastic. throw it flat and it will roll roll roll. a hyzer flip will turn and go right the whole way. can you throw a pure hyzer with it without a headwind?

you'd be better off throwing a less beat midrange.

I'm really not talking about a specific disc I throw, I'm trying to build a minimalistic bag and was curious about the principle behind the question.

No wind, flat, goes straight and then fades mildly.
Flat into wind, turns and doesn't come back.
So does that mean, generally, that wind+hyzer with the same disc will get it to flip up and hold? Or will it flip over still.

I'm really not talking about a specific disc I throw, I'm trying to build a minimalistic bag and was curious about the principle behind the question.

So does that mean, generally, that wind+hyzer with the same disc will get it to flip up and hold? Or will it flip over still.

Really depends on the disc and how much wind but generally the headwind will make any disc act more under stable and exaggerate that flight.

I just bought an Echo Star Katana with a flight rating of 13/6/-2/2. My pro katana's are 13/5/-3/3. Is this just a misprint on the Echo star?

if the disc flies like this

then i believe ^this would be fairly accurate, but it would vary with the amount of wind and amount of hyzer you put on it

I am curious about something.

If I'm playing with a limited bag and only have a driver that is, at best, mildly overstable, and I come up to a pretty moderate headwind, how much is it going to help me to throw it on a firm hyzer?

Think 2-3/10 beat valk. So flat is going to turn over pretty good. But is a hyzer going to flip up and hold? Or flip up and still turn over?
This more or less depends on the disc. Generally, a mold that retains good HSS will flip up and stay flat but if has little LSS or has lost it due to wear it might have late right hand turn.

Okay, here's the thing. There's natural stability and speed stability. Some discs (like most high speed drivers) act more overstable than they really are if not thrown to speed. Headwind makes discs more understable b/c the speed of the air the disc is going through simulates a higher speed. Tailwind makes discs act more overstable for the opposite reason.

So if you take a Wraith and use it for overstable shots b/c you are not able to throw it fast enough to fly stable like it's supposed to and you throw it into a headwind, it will not fade like you want but go straight or even flip and go right if the headwind is strong enough.

I have a dumb question. What do you do when someone insists they hyzer-flipped a disc when they are actually throwing flex shot/reverse air bounce shots? I'm taking about people who have played 2 to 3 years but refuse to do their homework and just watch videos all day. I'm certain that common knowledge would suggest that hyzer-flip means, "disc released hyzer with enough momentum to force it straight." Wouldn't you think? Does anyone here play with or know people that will not admit that they can't throw a hyzer shot to save their life? I'm not saying hyzer-flips are a mandatory shot or must know how to thing. I watched some one throw a slight anhyzer on a slightly right dog-leg hole. After the throw he was like, "oh man, I didn't put enough hyzer-flip on that". I'm like what?

Who cares what they think as long as you end up with a lower score. When you batter them enough, they will either ask for help or realize the truth. Either way, doesn't influence your game so who the heck cares?

What is the proper way to use a mini? I got lazy on the search.

FLipee Laser Eye Attack!!!

how_1_07.jpg
how_1_08.jpg
how_1_09.jpg

Latest posts