• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Need help!

I have been playing off and on for 3 years.

I have mastered the thumber and throw a 167 Champion Eagle. Is there a better discs for a thumber I have watched some youtube videos and Brian Schweberger with team innova prefers a Firebird.

Depends on what you want the thumber to do. That is similar to asking what disc is best to throw backhand.

I use the firebird for pure distance. The more overstable the disc is, the longer it will stay in the air. I use a beast for something that I need to go right (for a right-hander) fairly quickly as it is more understable. Use a roadrunner if I want it to go right as soon as possible and I don't want it to go very far or as an approach from 100' out that I want to land upsidedown. I use a magnet for approaches about 50' away to land upsidedown right at the basket.

YES I am looking for more distance. I can throw the heck out of my Eagle but I want something with more speed and longer flight.

Joshmo65 best answer so far. Thank you so much. I am still new and got use to throw one distance driver and that is the Eagle and I have not tried much of anything else..time to step out of my comfort zone and chunk different plastic.

I use a Skeeter for mid range and a Rhyno or Pig for putting.

YES I am looking for more distance. I can throw the heck out of my Eagle but I want something with more speed and longer flight.

Joshmo65 best answer so far. Thank you so much. I am still new and got use to throw one distance driver and that is the Eagle and I have not tried much of anything else..time to step out of my comfort zone and chunk different plastic.

I use a Skeeter for mid range and a Rhyno or Pig for putting.

If you want to try something other than innova, XXX is awesome

Your other foot/knee/other supporting point can be anywhere as long as it is no closer to the basket than your lie (marker).

Pretty straightforward but can be murky when it comes to straddle putts as it can look like your off foot is closer. These pics excellently illustrate the point:

legal1.jpg

legal2.jpg

illegal.jpg

This is true if you can have a 10ft wide stance. Don't let the pic fool you, you can never have that much of an offset between you feet.

Not necessarily. It depends on what you want the disc to do. If you need to get around things and have a swoopy, spiraly flight, then something understable is better suited.

I didn't say people only throw OS discs, I said most people tend to use OS discs for thumbers and tomahawks, I bet if you put out a poll of which gets used more, OS or US, OS would win handily.

Give me some other suggestions. I wanna try out at least (5) good thumber discs and I am a innova snob. lol:p

If you are going pure innova Id say firebird or FL. If you really want some power go with a xcaliber or an ape. I personally use a discraft force and a old dx firebird.

I've been playing for about a month and a half (RHBH, some FH), with the innova dx starter kit with the 150g leopard, aviar p&a, and shark. I can average the aviar about 150 ft, the shark I can throw 175 ft, closer to 200 sometimes, and the leopard I average about 200, but can get up to 250ish some days. My problem is that these discs are getting too understable. The aviar I can get it to do a pretty decent hyzer flip to get it to go strait, but the leopard ends up pretty far right. What should my next disc be?

I've been playing for about a month and a half (RHBH, some FH), with the innova dx starter kit with the 150g leopard, aviar p&a, and shark. I can average the aviar about 150 ft, the shark I can throw 175 ft, closer to 200 sometimes, and the leopard I average about 200, but can get up to 250ish some days. My problem is that these discs are getting too understable. The aviar I can get it to do a pretty decent hyzer flip to get it to go strait, but the leopard ends up pretty far right. What should my next disc be?

A Teebird.
About the same speed as the Leopard, just a bit more stability.

A Teebird.
About the same speed as the Leopard, just a bit more stability.

I disagree, respectfully. This is a bit akin to putting a bandaid on a stab wound. It's obvious by the distances listed that OP is quite new to the game and although the Teebird gets bandied about as a good beginner driver, I don't think this is fair acclaim, there are better beginner drivers. IMO, OP would be better suited buying a new Leopard that's heavier than 150 and learning how to throw it (and the other discs) clean. If he still wants some stability, Gazelle, Cyclone, Cheetah, Stalker are all more serviceable to the uber noob than a Teebird is.

yeah the teebird is a pretty crappy beginner driver. not very workable and it is fairly overstable to begin with

P.S dont get a stalker either

If you have access to Latitude 64 discs, try an opto line River. It's got the same fade and turn ratings as the Leopard but a little faster and it has ridiculous glide. The opto plastic (equivalent to Champion plastic from Innova) will make the disc a little more stable than usual so between that and the increase in speed I'll bet you'll get the results you need. You could also put in a little more practive attempting to Hyzerflip the leopard. It WILL work I promise!

Latest posts