• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

The disc is too high! Even if I look level at the horizon or slightly down, I throw at the sun unless I throw from the waist. Wasupwidat?

Thanks.

Would I do that by rotating my wrist so the back of my hand is more toward the ground or bend my wrist so my fingers/knuckles are more toward the ground? I'm thinking rotate wrist because bend wrist would put the farthest edge more down than the nose. Nose being leading edge?

Thanks.

Would I do that by rotating my wrist so the back of my hand is more toward the ground
NO.

or bend my wrist so my fingers/knuckles are more toward the ground?
Yes. Keep your wrist locked down in the "handshake position" as much as possible. Keep your elbow up and on the same plane as the rest of the arm and transfer your weight forward during the throw onto and over your plant (right for RHBH) foot.

What would be a good beginners bag with no innova or discraft?

I'll just do a general good molds by other companies list, with beginner friendly in bold: (leaving out the faster stuff)

Millennium*: Orion LF, Orion LS, JLS, Polaris, Sentinel MF, Aurora MS, Omega.

DiscMania*: PD, CD, TD, GM, MD1, MD2, P1, P2

Lat. 64: xXx, Striker, River, Vision, Pain, Core, Fuse, Pure, Sinus

Westside: Have thrown none of them but their drivers sound nice.

Gateway**: Apache, Sabre, Assassin, Warrior, Scout, Element, Wizard, Magic, Voodoo, Warlock.

*discs are molded by Innova and/or may contain Innova mold pieces

**Only their putters are popular, for a reason some would say.

I like to put eggs in muffins like this,

egg-mcmuffin.jpg

This^ :clap:

How do you 'beat in' a disc?

Its more or less just a term for "breaking something in" alot of discs tend to fly a little more predictably after they've had a few run ins with flying into trees and rocks, rolling off into the OB, being propelled into the local wildlife or just hitting the ground at hard trajectories. This is more than likely due to people just getting used to throwing certain discs as opposed to it getting some character from the general mishaps that occur in a normal DG game.

As certain plastic encounters hard objects at high speed, a couple physical effects do happen to the disc which causes the flight to change. This includes changes in the flexibility of the plastic, the nose angle, and drag due to uneven edges. So this is a lot more than just familiarity with a particular disc.

Also keep in mind that most discs have flashing on them which makes them fly more overstable than they're supposed to. So when the flashing wears off from say, skipping across a road, the disc starts to display its true flight characteristics.

It's the sharp edge on the inner rim of a new disc. You can throw a few sliding shots on concrete to ware it down.

Latest posts