• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

put it on your key ring or use it for a zipper pull. or something else. exercise your bag tag rights and do whatever in the heck you want with it.

So my question. At what point do I consider throwing the long drivers again?
I was always told to throw the slowest discs possible. If fairway drivers can't handle the 500 ft of power you're putting on them, you have to disc up. But if you can get away with throwing slower discs, enjoy the extra control that they offer.

I can't imagine that 350 ft of power would require you to ever pick up anything faster than a tbird.

In fact, most of the country's 3,000 courses have somewhere between three and zero holes where anyone alive would benefit from throwing a max speed disc off the tee.

I was probably like most new players in thinking that drivers were the appropriate disc to throw off the tee, in all cases. Nevermind that my home course was heavily wooded and had no holes over 300 feet.

QUESTION ONE: I threw a champ orc 350 feet today. Should I look into a faster disc, go for a slower one, or keep it where I'm at?

QUESTION TWO: I've been throwing big hyzers with a lot of height (spike hyzer?) lately. If I want to get the most possible distance out of them, should I use a disc with a lot of glide? Will the glide cause it to fall more parallel to the ground?

What Triflusal said, and here's a bit more. Beads are small, rounded "rims" that are on the bottom of a disc. Frequently, this bead will lend to a greater degree of stability/overstability relative to the same disc that doesn't have the bead. If you want to see some more beaded discs, check out the disc profile thread:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26430&page=3

Don't forget the Micro Bead like some Star Gators Have :D. You can see it but you can't feel it.

Yup. Though sometimes a certain mold with a certain bead will go OOP and they can fetch a bit more but that is usually a really small market.

pretty much whatever you dont see on websites but do see on the PDGA tech standards pdf is OOP. there are some exceptions and whatnot, especially since certain plastics go OOP but the mold is still in production. when in doubt, just ask someone

I was always told to throw the slowest discs possible. If fairway drivers can't handle the 500 ft of power you're putting on them, you have to disc up. But if you can get away with throwing slower discs, enjoy the extra control that they offer.

I can't imagine that 350 ft of power would require you to ever pick up anything faster than a tbird.

In fact, most of the country's 3,000 courses have somewhere between three and zero holes where anyone alive would benefit from throwing a max speed disc off the tee.

I was probably like most new players in thinking that drivers were the appropriate disc to throw off the tee, in all cases. Nevermind that my home course was heavily wooded and had no holes over 300 feet.

I have added a Orc, and it has gotten me to the 400 foot mark.

By 350ft of power, I do mean throwing high and hard, which causes the TL to turn right, and the glide keeps it flying high and long, and I will not lie, it is like the coolest thing because it goes out there a bit slower than faster drivers, but it just keeps going and going. In a situation where I would have to keep it low and straight, no S pattern, it reduces to 280-300ft.

Two questions:

1. Beat-in discs in DX plastic, for example - how do they throw? Understable, no difference, varies from disc to disc? For example, my beat-in DX Shark seems to throw understable now - I release it at a 15-degree hyzer and it instantly levels out and flies straight.
2. Could I have found the answer elsewhere in the forums via the search feature? I tried searching for things like "beat in" and "beat in flight" and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks for the help.

DX beats in the fastest of Innova's plastic, for better or worse. Generally, it remains usable for awhile in most discs, only the distance drivers faster than Teebirds get particularly squirrelly after much wear. Some runs of DX are better than others too (typically the waxy looking DX is the worst).

Searching is an art. The general search button kind of sucks here. Your best bet is to go straight to advanced search and click the most appropriate forums to search (equipment, Technique & Strategy, maybe general Chat). I like to search thread titles only and anything that's short like DX is usually helped out by putting "" around it. ("DX")

Using a search engine is also a great idea. In google you just type in:

site:dgcoursereview.com beat in dx

In this case I got a bunch of results from people wanting beat in dx so then I did this to narrow it down

site:dgcoursereview.com beat in dx -wanted

There is an unlimited number of ways you can word it to get different results. And you don't have to wait every time like you do on the forum.

By myself, I will practice putting, then play a few holes to warm up, then go back to #1 and start my round.

But with friends we just go to the course and start playing, and usually I tell them I am throwing my putter and midrange to warm up my arm, then I am 'officially' starting. It helps, but I am still so cold starting my round. Anyone have any tips on real quick ways to warm up?

By myself, I will practice putting, then play a few holes to warm up, then go back to #1 and start my round.

But with friends we just go to the course and start playing, and usually I tell them I am throwing my putter and midrange to warm up my arm, then I am 'officially' starting. It helps, but I am still so cold starting my round. Anyone have any tips on real quick ways to warm up?

Towel drill
Playing catch with a putter or ultimate/catch disc

Latest posts