• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

It depends on why the dome is there. If it's intentional and designed into the mold, like the Stingray, obviously it's not going to be overstable. If it's the way the disc cooled and tightened up, it's gonna be more overstable than a flatter disc in that mold. There are exceptions, as I said. Flat firebirds are very overstable, flat rocs are generally overstable and I hear the same about flat katanas.

Speaking of Prerube, I keep coming across his posts, and they all say "banned". Is this a joke, category, or is he gone, and why? Or is it impolite to speak of the dead?

It depends on why the dome is there. If it's intentional and designed into the mold, like the Stingray, obviously it's not going to be overstable. If it's the way the disc cooled and tightened up, it's gonna be more overstable than a flatter disc in that mold. There are exceptions, as I said. Flat firebirds are very overstable, flat rocs are generally overstable and I hear the same about flat katanas.

This is the best description of dome/flat=overstable/understable. I have had wratihs and destroyers that are domey, and they are more stable due to the glide they have. Also, flat rocs, firebirds, katanas, nukes, and bosses are generally more overstable. It just depends on the mold as the quoted post states, as some are meant to be domey and some more flat.

Speaking of Prerube, I keep coming across his posts, and they all say "banned". Is this a joke, category, or is he gone, and why? Or is it impolite to speak of the dead?

It says banned because he has got too many infractions. When you get to many (not really sure how many it takes) you get put on a temporary ban. I believe he just got banned for two weeks. After his time out is done it will not say banned anymore.

It says banned because he has got too many infractions. When you get to many (not really sure how many it takes) you get put on a temporary ban. I believe he just got banned for two weeks. After his time out is done it will not say banned anymore.

Information on infractions and bans are available in the Forum Guidelines, located at the top of any of the forum pages:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/announcement.php?f=23&a=1

From my experiences, a larger dome makes the disc less HSS, but more LSS. My domey champ katana has a siick S curve because of this and because of it's glide, same with my moderately domed first run Star Katanas.

I have a white first-run Kite. Is it CE plastic? [Definitely doesn't feel like DX or Star]. Almost feels greasy-like...

I have a white first-run Kite. Is it CE plastic? [Definitely doesn't feel like DX or Star]. Almost feels greasy-like...

99.9% don't think so. Kite came out in 2007 and the last run of CE I think was in the early 2000s.

Flight Height

I've been reading several comments about different discs liking different heights to work (primarily mids needing more, drivers needing less).

I would love a somewhat in-depth breakdown of this mechanic. I'm pretty sure I understand the concept, but knowing how to play to it is something altogether different.

So basically:
1. What heights are we talking about? Ten feet versus thirty?
2. Is there a way to determine quickly which heights different discs like best?
3. Is the proper height simply to ensure max distance? Or do you sacrifice accuracy/control/flight path by throwing on the wrong height?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated! Especially if there is a thread somewhere that already develops this (couldn't find any as yet).

I've been reading several comments about different discs liking different heights to work (primarily mids needing more, drivers needing less).

I would love a somewhat in-depth breakdown of this mechanic. I'm pretty sure I understand the concept, but knowing how to play to it is something altogether different.

So basically:
1. What heights are we talking about? Ten feet versus thirty?
2. Is there a way to determine quickly which heights different discs like best?
3. Is the proper height simply to ensure max distance? Or do you sacrifice accuracy/control/flight path by throwing on the wrong height?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated! Especially if there is a thread somewhere that already develops this (couldn't find any as yet).

This is probally one of the best questions in this thread. Congrats.

Slower discs need more height for distance but are easier to throw high due to them being less nose angle sensitive.
The higher i can throw in the air and keep the nose down, the farther i can throw. The h flip helps many get extra height.
Dgr does have a height breakdown but i dont have a link. 30ft is nothing for distance lines
There is no wrong or right height. Just like every shot, there are tons of factors. Some play low skip shots when some will throw a 20ft stall hyzer. When distance is concerned, every disc likes to be thrown high. Throwing low is due to comfort or trying to kill the fade.

The two main d lines are either an anny flex or a h flip.
The flex will want to go nose down through the highest left apex, glide right, and then fade. If it doesnt have enough height, it will hit the ground early before it gets all its fade, possibly rolling back a lil.if you throw it high but couldnt get the nose down enough, it wont glide right- itll stall out.
The h flip will release hyzer, gaining height as it flips up. Nose down will allow it to lock in, turn on almost a swooping hyzer and fade back.
Both of those lines are height and power dependent. Challengers/avairs, rocs, cyclones/gazelles, wraiths/surges, and force/destroyers all kinda have the same flight where they can pop up, lock in, turn, and fade....just at different speeds. You want to see a full flight from your discs at 80% power.

Yada yada, a bunch of questions

To put it simply, putters→mids→drivers from most resistance to least, i.e. speed. The more resistance or less aerodynamic or whatever, the higher it needs to be thrown for distance before gravity pulls it down to the ground. Putters and mids depend a lot on glide for distance, drivers less so. Height is necessary for bigger distance, you try and hit an apex as high as you can before the disc loses energy and starts its descent.

This does vary a lot from mold to mold.

Latest posts