• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

That sound has 0 to do with snap, it's just your fingers hitting against your hand from your release.

This is correct. Same concept as snapping your fingers, except there is a disc added to the equation this time. I used to be in teh same boat, but it just happened to disappear now that I think about it.

Nikko can throw pretty far and his is pretty audible, I've also seen someone throw in the 500 range and it be quiet as a mouse.

Same here Conner, my buddy jacks em out to 600' and you can't hear a dang thing. I'm in the 425' range and it sounds like sombody just snapped their femer.

Are there significantly different flight characteristics from star to champ plastic, all other variables being the same? I like the feel of star but none of my star discs are my fav's. I would guess more stable - enlighten me.

Champ is generally more stable then star. Champ will also hold it's flight characteristics for longer then star. Star may hold up to tree hits and concrete hits better though.

I've seen star plastic get through some pretty gnar hits unscathed. I'm not saying your wrong by any means though. All plastic will get chewed up eventually.

Tree hits don't seem to affect star or champ very much, but concrete/asphalt will chew star up like it's taffy that's been sitting in the sun all day. Champ will get a little bit of a rash usually, but nothing like star.

That's true except when it's not. I had a star wraith forever that hit several roads and never came away with more than some minor surface scuffing. On the other hand I had a champ banshee that skipped off one asphalt road and lost a chunk of the rim. Star is a smidge less durable on the whole, but it's not a huge difference.

Star, being closer to Pro, glides better than Champ does. Stability can vary alot from disc to disc in any plastic. Dome's an okay indicator. More dome = more overstable. The real indicator is PLH, tho.

Okay, whats PLH?

Don't think I will buy anymore star, for the price it doesnt make sense. None of my fav discs have ended up being star - mostly beat up champs.

I have a pro wraith that seems to be much more durable than the last two stars I have bought too, it was 5 bucks.

I like this thread, I have a lot of dumb questions - or ones I am slightly too lazy to dig for, I do always make a research attempt first though.

So what "class" does one start competing in? Is it like anything else where the easiest class still sucks, its just folks that enjoy competition and are using it to improve their game?

In motocross, racing at any level was the best way to get faster, assuming its the same in dg. Practice only helps so much sometimes.

Okay, whats PLH?
Parting line height, the line where the 2 pieces (top and bottom) are joined together. The higher the PLH, the more overstable, the lower the PLH then the more understable.
So what "class" does one start competing in? Is it like anything else where the easiest class still sucks, its just folks that enjoy competition and are using it to improve their game?

Depends on the Tourney as sometimes there's a novice division, but usually it's Recreational, Intermediate, Advanced, and so on. Rec is usually the most casual but also the most clueless over the rules (for better and worse). Generally with this game, the better your competition, the better you'll get.

Cool, thanks for your time to answer those, gonna go look at the plh of my discs now....

I have an 11x Eagle X that's marked Distance Driver while my 11x Eagle L's are marked Fairway Driver. Is this another way to distinguish the molds? Is there any difference in the discs other than the molds based on the stamp? thanks

X
IMG_20120116_232339.jpg

L
IMG_20120116_232348.jpg

I have an 11x Eagle X that's marked Distance Driver while my 11x Eagle L's are marked Fairway Driver. Is this another way to distinguish the molds? Is there any difference in the discs other than the molds based on the stamp? thanks

X
IMG_20120116_232339.jpg

L
IMG_20120116_232348.jpg

No it just means your 11X is a older mold. From what I'm told it was called a distance driver before all the super high speed stuff came out.

Really? I thought more dome = less HSS...

More dome means more glide, but often the more domey or poppy top the disc is, the more the plastic tightened up while cooling. This pulls the PLH way up and makes them more overstable.

There are exceptions to everything, tho. Flat Firebirds are quite overstable. Flatter discs are generally faster due to the lower aerodynamic profile but don't glide nearly as much.

Latest posts