• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Are drop zones in OB areas legit? Someone told me you can't play from an OB area including any drop zones

This is correct. At the time of release, you may not be touching any OB area. You can start your run up from OB, but you have to be out of it when you let your disc go. This is why you get 1m relief from OB areas.

I suppose you could always designate the drop zone as not ob, but then you'd have to worry about people landing in it and whether it's big enough for people to take a legal stance a meter away from any side.

I have a question in the middle of the flight charts there are a ton of discs around speed 5 or 6. Spider, Warship, Core, Buzz, Vector Roc Shark Etc etc. They're all around the same speed and area ll basically stable.

Looking at it from a noobs perspective I would think they should all fly about the same? Am I wrong in assuming that? Is it just preference at that point?

If so why is a Roc way more popular then a Shark Etc?

quick question, I am going to be flying soon and i was wondering if i need to carry on my discs or if they can be in cargo? i mainly just dont want to damage my discs.

thanks

I have a question in the middle of the flight charts there are a ton of discs around speed 5 or 6. Spider, Warship, Core, Buzz, Vector Roc Shark Etc etc. They're all around the same speed and area ll basically stable.

Looking at it from a noobs perspective I would think they should all fly about the same? Am I wrong in assuming that? Is it just preference at that point?

If so why is a Roc way more popular then a Shark Etc?

There are very subtle differences with each disc in that area (I assume you are using Marshall St Flight Guide). Most of it is about personal preference, whatever you feel comfortable with for the shot you're trying to throw. But, there are differences between the actual flight paths of each disc around that area (i.e. (for me) the buzzz has a very straight flight on whatever line I put it on, where as the roc is a touch more overstable at the end of the flight).

I use the buzzz because I am more comfortable with the shallower rim as opposed to some of the other choices in that area. Also, because they are more readily available in a variety of plastics, at a cheaper price, in case I need to replace them, instead of something like the core which is limited in availability and is typically a little more expensive (import).

I do always like to throw as many in a given area and compare them to what I currently throw in that slot, but it's generally just preference. Pick one and give it a try, if you like it - stick with it, and if not - try another. Always helps to be close to a retailer or play with others and ask to play a round with a disc you are interested in before making a purchase.

There are very subtle differences with each disc in that area (I assume you are using Marshall St Flight Guide). Most of it is about personal preference, whatever you feel comfortable with for the shot you're trying to throw. But, there are differences between the actual flight paths of each disc around that area (i.e. (for me) the buzzz has a very straight flight on whatever line I put it on, where as the roc is a touch more overstable at the end of the flight).

I use the buzzz because I am more comfortable with the shallower rim as opposed to some of the other choices in that area. Also, because they are more readily available in a variety of plastics, at a cheaper price, in case I need to replace them, instead of something like the core which is limited in availability and is typically a little more expensive (import).

I do always like to throw as many in a given area and compare them to what I currently throw in that slot, but it's generally just preference. Pick one and give it a try, if you like it - stick with it, and if not - try another. Always helps to be close to a retailer or play with others and ask to play a round with a disc you are interested in before making a purchase.

Yeah that's what I was using. Luckily I have some places around here with a decent selection. I also dont have any issues buying something online. I have a Roc and I like it. I would also like to try those other ones though, just to see. I really do think I need to try a Buzz as I think I would like a more shallow rim.

Wrist Curling

I don't understand why I can't stop curling my wrist around my disc. I hold my wrist straight on the outside of the disc and as soon as I start my pull through, I wrap my wrist around it.

I tried a few times to hold the disc with my off hand to keep me from rotating the disc inward and now I'm all off balance.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

And I'm guessing the wrist curl is making me throw most things understable.

I don't understand why I can't stop curling my wrist around my disc. I hold my wrist straight on the outside of the disc and as soon as I start my pull through, I wrap my wrist around it.

I tried a few times to hold the disc with my off hand to keep me from rotating the disc inward and now I'm all off balance.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

And I'm guessing the wrist curl is making me throw most things understable.

Have you done the Hammer drills?

So... now that I am trying to throw both fh and bh.... just had a question/observation. I have been throwing a teebird (can do it with a Valk, but it doesn't finish the way I want it to) on what I think is a hyzerflip for shots that I need to squeeze through a tight gap about 50 feet out, go straight for about 150-200 feet and then finish right. So, my first question is, Would you consider this a fh hyzer flip? Secondly, if I can throw this shot with a champ teebird, would you think that I am putting OAT on the disc?

So... now that I am trying to throw both fh and bh.... just had a question/observation. I have been throwing a teebird (can do it with a Valk, but it doesn't finish the way I want it to) on what I think is a hyzerflip for shots that I need to squeeze through a tight gap about 50 feet out, go straight for about 150-200 feet and then finish right. So, my first question is, Would you consider this a fh hyzer flip? Secondly, if I can throw this shot with a champ teebird, would you think that I am putting OAT on the disc?

I would consider that to be a hyzerflip. Although if you're hyzer flipping a champ Teebird, I would say you definitely have an OAT problem, which isn't uncommon for forehanders.

I would consider that to be a hyzerflip. Although if you're hyzer flipping a champ Teebird, I would say you definitely have an OAT problem, which isn't uncommon for forehanders.

^^ agreed on both points.

So this is definitely a noob question and I'm sure its been asked before.

But why is it noobs shouldn't throw high speed drivers?

I still consider myself a noob. I've been playing for 5 years. But only 2 of them with any form and consistency. For the longest time I had no idea discs had rated speeds and turn and fade. I would just throw the disc and see how it flew for me. Usually worked out in the long run. Now that I know what the numbers mean I sill rarely pay any attention to them. I throw the disc a few times. Figure out its line that it wants to take, use it to my advantage.

Only thing I've noticed with high speed discs is they go farther. So why shouldn't a noob throw one?

yes it is a hyzerflip, although a short one considering it is a driver.

depends on the condition of the teebird. even champ ones can get broken in and fly like a leopard. people throw around "OAT diagnosis" way too casually on this site.

So this is definitely a noob question and I'm sure its been asked before. But why is it noobs shouldn't throw high speed drivers?

this has been answered many times before, but in short:
1. SAFETY! noobs throw high speed drivers all over the place and have no idea where they are going. have you ever been hit by a 150ft. noob hyzer? it hurts!
2. they will teach you bad habits and make it harder (if not impossible) to learn how to make a disc FLY as opposed to chucking it. depends on what your goals are in disc golf. everyone has different priorities, different levels of physical and mental ability, and different amounts of time to dedicate to the game.

even if you only want to be a recreational player for life, learning some basic disc skills will make your experience much more enjoyable.

Pics of the release angle or it didn't happen.

Very true.... it is a champ teebird .... I release it at a rhfh 4 o'clock angle. Travels about 300 to the basket in the woods. I don't really throw that shot in the open field. Might need to try it during field practice and walk it off.

Thanks for the help guys. I have spent a while reading this entire thread. I love the advise. Still a noob.
Obviously. I have learned a ton just by reading. It has already shaved throws off of my game. Always looking to learn more. I sidearm mostly but am just working to improve my backhand. Is a well used champ leopard a good disc to throw or should I look for a dx. I like the control I have with my whippet. Good choice? I also love throwing mids for good distance. I have several. Coyote? X2? Rancho roc? In the valley of decision. TIA

Latest posts