• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

What's better, Roc or Buzzz?

This depends on what you like in a midrange. The roc is slower and more stable and does better in base plastic. Buzzzes are better in premium plastic and faster and straighter out of the box. You should test out both and see which one fits your style better.

Other mids you should try:

Comet, Core, Fuse, Element, Warrior, QMS, Wasp, Hornet, Sentinel

Ya know Frank, that's the best response I've ever heard to the roc v buzzz question,

In honor of that, I'll stop trying to derail your thread. G'day Frank.

I think a lot of guys are gonna pick frank s brain and pretend to be facetious sarcastic but secretly have been afraid to ask along LOL I'm loving this

My buddy jump putts inside the circle, and I keep telling him that he can't do that. Who's right?

You are right. from inside 10 meters the person must stay behind their disc/marker and demonstrate balance.

from the PDGA rules manual

C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full
control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

why do my discs always go right? :confused:

Are you left handed? Right handed? Do you throw forehand or backhand?

Why is apothecary banned? What is an infraction?

The first is a question for the mods so you could PM one of them or hope they stop by to explain it.

An infraction is a point that counts against you when you break the rules. When you get 5 you get banned for a certain amount of time.

I'm dyslexic.. my discs always go left.

srry.

Oh and I'm a rightie. TIA

Serious Question: What do people mean when they say they're playing "skins"?

"skins" or match play is a way of playing disc golf where people to compete to win a hole. Each hole counts as one skin. The person with the lowest score on the hole takes the hole. If two people tie on the lowest score, the skin for the hole carries forward (so on the next hole you will be playing for two skins) or cancels out. How tied holes are handled is agreed upon by everyone playing before the round starts. Let me know if I need to expound on something more.

I think a lot of guys are gonna pick frank s brain and pretend to be facetious sarcastic but secretly have been afraid to ask along LOL I'm loving this

We can't expect Frank to pick his own brain for all the dumb n00b questions he's read! This should be stickied, but then again BroD's n00b primer thread was sticky-worthy, too...for a while.

Until I joined DGCR, I always thought the "bead" was literally the little nub of plastic in the center of the underside of the disc (left from some kind of centrifugal spinning process, I assume?). :doh:

I also used to think that all the Innova discs with marine life for the name (Shark, Stingray, et al) were floater discs...I never tested this, just believed what I was told by other n00bs when I started playing.

"skins" or match play is a way of playing disc golf where people to compete to win a hole. Each hole counts as one skin. The person with the lowest score on the hole takes the hole. If two people tie on the lowest score, the skin for the hole carries forward (so on the next hole you will be playing for two skins) or cancels out. How tied holes are handled is agreed upon by everyone playing before the round starts. Let me know if I need to expound on something more.

So the "skin" doesn't necessarily have to be a monetary amount like a dollar? Skins can be beers, discs, or just a number?