• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

a helix and a flex shot are different. they do the same thing, but for different reasons. a flex shot starts on an anny and then flexes back. a helix is thrown flat and has a portion high speed turn and then comes back.

if threads could have avatars. this one would have this:

url

what is a hyzer flip?

a Hyzer flip is a shot that flips (or stands up) from being thrown at a hyzer angle to flat. This shot is useful for throwing down tight fairways where an S shot doesn't have room to work.

What division should I play at my first tournament?

You should see if any PDGAs were played there before and check the average score for each division. From there compare them to your average score at the course(s) and add a couple of strokes since everyone shoots better in casual rounds. Make your decision after seeing what division is most similar to your score.

what does a domey disc do differently than a flat disc... for purposes of this question assume the same mold. TIA

Until I joined DGCR, I always thought the "bead" was literally the little nub of plastic in the center of the underside of the disc (left from some kind of centrifugal spinning process, I assume?). :doh:

I'll help Frank out here.

This part is commonly referred to as a "nipple" and is actually where the mold is left open so they can inject the plastic. They then cut off some of the excess, but not all of it. The dot left over is what you're referring to.

;) guess i missed that one in the flurry of questions...along the same lines:

"what does 10x, 11x, and 12x refer to when talking about discs?"

what does a domey disc do differently than a flat disc... for purposes of this question assume the same mold. TIA

This is a complicated question. Flat rocs for example start out more stable than domey rocs but beat in to flippy quicker. Domey forces are often more stable than flat forces but flat predators are more stable than domey predators. Do you have a particular mold you want to know about?

Latest posts