• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

i've got a question:
I've read some posts about sanding your discs (a). to remove the flashing so it's not tearing up your fingers and (b). to clean up "dogears" on the edge from tree hits, rock hits,etc. How much sanding is legal under the PDGA rules for "altering post-production discs" and what grit sandpaper would one use to do this?
TIA

i've got a question:
I've read some posts about sanding your discs (a). to remove the flashing so it's not tearing up your fingers and (b). to clean up "dogears" on the edge from tree hits, rock hits,etc. How much sanding is legal under the PDGA rules for "altering post-production discs" and what grit sandpaper would one use to do this?
TIA

you can alter them back to there original form or how they are supposed to be out of the factory.

I think that excludes "lighter fixes" which is where you melt the plastic with a cigarette lighter and pinch it back into shape with your fingers. that technique works best on DX level plastic. I'm sure it was a more common practice before the higher polyurethane plastic discs became more popular.

PDGA rulebook said:
802.01.C. Players may not make post-production
modification of discs which alter their
original flight characteristics. This rule
does not forbid inevitable wear and tear
from usage during play or the moderate
sanding of discs to smooth molding
imperfections or scrape marks. Discs
excessively sanded or painted with a
material of detectable thickness are
illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F

I think at one point it used lighter fixes as an example expressly. I may be wrong.

First off - love the thread idea, this is great.

Second - Frankie being nice? It must be a new years resolution, or the apocalypse.. only time can tell.

Third - This is the fastest thread I've ever seen. 400 posts in 5 hours? Holy sheyit.

Last - Explain HSS and OAT to me por favor.

a lot of people boil their rocs to make them flat. I feel that is against the spirit of the rule, others say, "get the stick out of your @$$, no one will know."

HSS: High speed stability or the property of flight associated with stability of a disc at its cruising speed. a disc with negative HSS will turn right (assuming RHBH thrower).

OAT: Off Axis Torque or the incidence of a disc being forcibly turned over or torqued past its natural HSS. think wrist roll. OAT is a heavily discussed topic in regards to proper throwing form.

How can these little skinny guys throw 400ft and us big guys can harldy break 300ft?

Not just form, most of the longest throwers have long arms which allows them to generate a tremendous amount of spin. More spin=more distance!

Not just form, most of the longest throwers have long arms which allows them to generate a tremendous amount of spin. More spin=more distance!

It's not just that, but the longer the arm, the greater the available period of acceleration.

Also true. Longer, leaner arms can throw farther than shorter thicker ones, for RHBH. Forehand is a different animal, you might want to try throwing this way to increase your distance.

Last edited: