• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

does more spin always equal more turn? I watched a buddy chuck a star roadrunner nearly 500 feet into a headwind very straight from a 45 degree hyzer to pretty flat with little turnover.. but when asking how he didn't turn that into a road runner into a roller, my other buddy said that its because he has very smooth spin and a lot more of it than me but I would have rolled that roadrunner all the way over.. can someone explain this?

does more spin always equal more turn? I watched a buddy chuck a star roadrunner nearly 500 feet into a headwind very straight from a 45 degree hyzer to pretty flat with little turnover.. but when asking how he didn't turn that into a road runner into a roller, my other buddy said that its because he has very smooth spin and a lot more of it than me but I would have rolled that roadrunner all the way over.. can someone explain this?

If you impart more spin on a disc, you give it a greater rotational inertia, or resistance to rotate off of its axis. To experience this in real life, take a bike tire and put it on a rod just that you hold in your two hands. Spin it and then try to turn it. Then do the same without it spinning. The same mechanics are true for a disc in flight.

does more spin always equal more turn?
No.. more spin is what gives a disc it gyroscopic tendencies, which enables a disc to better maintain whatever line it's on. All other things being equal (which they seldom are), more velocity results in greater turn... the harder you throw, the more turn you'll get from a given disc (assuming you're getting it up to speed to where it can turn).

There's a thread that discusses the subject in greater detail. Not everything in the thread (by myself or others) is necessarily accurate... it's more of a discussion of ideas back and forth, but I think this particular post is very insightful.

Last edited:

I'm a noob myself, so someone should double check my answer, but it sounds like your buddy did whats called a hyzer flip. Its when you use an understable disc(like the road runner), and throw it as a hyzer. When someone gets a good amount of spin in the disc, it will cause the disc to "flip up" from the hyzer position to flat, as you described. It then tends to glide farely straight for a long distance and then have a small fade at the end. Great for tunnel shots.

Edit: Saw bogey no more's post. He's got a lot more experiance then I so, I would go with his answer about it being speed not spin, but do look up the hyzer flip, because that is what he did i believe.

Also, just as a tip, coming from one noob to another (no offense if your not a noob) but I would drop the high speed driver, and even your fairway driver if you have one. You'll see all over the forums that people recommend playing with just a putter, or just a midrange in the beginning and develop good form and disc spin, as you call it.

I'll tell you from my experience, I bought a bunch of drivers and other discs in my first months and learned nothing. Put them aside and develope your game. I play with only my mids, and putter. You'll get form and accuracy and you really will learn to throw far and control the disc.

The forums has tons of useful info on how to develop grip, form etc.. PM me if you want some links. I've been going through it a lot lately. But honestly the big deep bombs are gonna come with time and form, not the magic disc at the store.

Last edited:
I watched a buddy chuck a star roadrunner nearly 500 feet into a headwind very straight from a 45 degree hyzer to pretty flat with little turnover.. can someone explain this?

Did you look at that disc?

I've got a buddy who has a candy pro firebird that has been factory stamped roadrunner;) Needless to say, he's gotten quite a few WTF looks when he tells folks he's gonna throw his roadrunner then it flies like the complete opposite of what they'd expect.

With enough hyzer, spin, and power I'd expect any disc to go a long way.

Mounds was correct - the fact that Tylerc says the disc was thrown on a 45 degree hyzer and flipped up flat = hyzer flip (i.e. throwing an understable disc on a hyzer angle, and the disc flips to flat.) The disc's turn is what causes it to flip up flat... hence the term "flippy" is often used to describe understable discs you can do this to.

Velocity is what makes a disc turn or flip up to flat when released on a hyzer... turn and flip are pretty much the same thing. If a disc is "flippy" enough, and thrown at a high enough speed, a hyzer flip can flip up to flat and then continue to turnover into a curve to the right (assuming a RHBH throw).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
thx for the info ill check out the other thread. just to clarify I know that's a hyzer flip and he was throwing a roadrunner and valkryie that far just saying so he was throwin flippy stuff.. but yea I just thought they would flip over into that wind and was amazed they didn't.. thx ill keep learning lol

Putting practice: is it harmful to your game to practice with same mold but in different plastics? For example, I have 4 aviars all 172g, but 1 is a star and the others are DX. What say you guys?

Putting practice: is it harmful to your game to practice with same mold but in different plastics? For example, I have 4 aviars all 172g, but 1 is a star and the others are DX. What say you guys?

Only marginally if at all. One thing I do like to do for consistency's sake is use my main putter for every first putt, just like during a game.

Some plastcs won't glide the same as others. Star won't glide quite as well as DX. Also, higher end plastics will generally start out more overstable and will retain those qualities for longer.

What does chalky mean? I've seen several references to it on eBay I mean other than it looking chalky is there a reason its chalky to begin with? Thanks...

What does chalky mean? I've seen several references to it on eBay I mean other than it looking chalky is there a reason its chalky to begin with? Thanks...

It means that the plastic has a "chalky" feel to it.
Almost like someone dusted chalk over the surface of the disc...
As far as the reason, it's the blend of plastic.

Is there anything special abou a disc that's been stamped on the bottom or are the just factory mess ups? How rare are they? Thanks!

That's done on purpose. Some people just like it because it somewhat conceals what they're throwing and gives the disc a cleaner overall look.

I think the primary purpose is for dyers who want a clean canvas without having to wipe the stamp off. This way you can dye a disc on top and still have the mold info on the bottom.

I've noticed on quite a few of the new discs I've bought (all Innova) that there is a small white sticker that goes from the underside of the rim to the inside of the disc. It's only like a couple centimeters long and a centimeter wide. What's up with that?

Thanks.

BDA

I've noticed on quite a few of the new discs I've bought (all Innova) that there is a small white sticker that goes from the underside of the rim to the inside of the disc. It's only like a couple centimeters long and a centimeter wide. What's up with that?

Thanks.

BDA
Its just so the discs don't cause suction against other discs when stacked. It lets air in.