• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

A quick note, because I haven't seen anything devoted to it yet...

Eastway in Charlotte is open for business. And I think I like it better than the old layout. Very fun. More so when a couple of Lady Pros were behind us, basically forced to watch every throw we made. It put some extra-special sauce on the difficulty of throwing with a gallery...(I say 'difficulty' with tongue in cheek. I love an audience.)

But get thee to Beastway. I'll even call it a Must-Play in CLT.

Carry on!

Absolutely a course that needs to be played! David Weaver and company certainly have done an phenomenal job with the new course! Easily some of the best conditions I've ever seen a new course have on release. And they're still hard at work expanding the Longs!

While I think the new course is a better design and is going to age better than the old course, for some reason I can't confidently say that I prefer the new layout (at least as it stands right now) over the old one. The old layout had more interesting elevation in play (especially on its Beastway layout) and felt significantly different from other Charlotte courses. I probably just need to clean off my nostalgia goggles and remember how much I hated looking for discs in the unruly rough the old layout was known for.

I do find it kind of interesting that the old layout suffered from having a middle stretch of holes that felt incredibly similar to one another, and the new layout is currently in a similar boat (at least to me) - as if its paying hommage to the old course.

Writing this made me realize, I need to get out there again, sooner rather than later.

Fire Mountain Disc Golf Sanctuary

Fire Mountain is a new course in Cherokee, NC.
It is on the Qualla Boundary of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee, so governed by their laws.

One piece missing from the course Description:
"Alcohol and marijuana are both legal on the Qualla Boundary. Littering, and fishing without a license, is strictly prohibited."

So let's tighten up on the littering!! :D

Oof. That course will eat my lunch every time. I enjoy it a lot, but even more when we play dubs. Doesn't feel quite as punishing when you have a partner to split the difficulty with.

No knock on the course or the dudes that have put in work out there, and they've done a TON of work, but I just do not enjoy playing it. Nevin? Hard but fun. Nest? Same. Angry is just...brutal

No knock on the course or the dudes that have put in work out there, and they've done a TON of work, but I just do not enjoy playing it. Nevin? Hard but fun. Nest? Same. Angry is just...brutal

:D That pretty much describes my feelings about Nevin. I do enjoy it on some sadomasochistic level, but "brutal" is the word that comes up most often.

We do ourselves no favors by insisting on playing the Longs at these longer courses. It's always, "Well, we're here, so we might as well get as much golf in as we can...High score wins!"

Then we regret it. "Should've just played the Shorts." All depressed and whatnot.

Absolutely a course that needs to be played! David Weaver and company certainly have done an phenomenal job with the new course! Easily some of the best conditions I've ever seen a new course have on release. And they're still hard at work expanding the Longs!

While I think the new course is a better design and is going to age better than the old course, for some reason I can't confidently say that I prefer the new layout (at least as it stands right now) over the old one. The old layout had more interesting elevation in play (especially on its Beastway layout) and felt significantly different from other Charlotte courses. I probably just need to clean off my nostalgia goggles and remember how much I hated looking for discs in the unruly rough the old layout was known for.

I do find it kind of interesting that the old layout suffered from having a middle stretch of holes that felt incredibly similar to one another, and the new layout is currently in a similar boat (at least to me) - as if its paying hommage to the old course.

Writing this made me realize, I need to get out there again, sooner rather than later.
I very slightly prefer old Eastway also because I liked the wooded holes better. They did a great job with the redesign and I don't miss those holes by the road but still.

Yup, I still enjoy it, but after another couple or three playings I'd give it a 4:00. [emoji106] That noise from I-40 is worth at least a quarter point. [emoji86]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the noise and the shoehorned back 9 are the only real detractors. Still my fave compared to J. St. and definitely Patriot.

I very slightly prefer old Eastway also because I liked the wooded holes better. They did a great job with the redesign and I don't miss those holes by the road but still.

Those road holes are the ones I miss, or at least I miss the openness and lack of ceiling they had while still retaining danger. New course doesn't have that element but is still a good layout

Those road holes are the ones I miss, or at least I miss the openness and lack of ceiling they had while still retaining danger. New course doesn't have that element but is still a good layout

The openness was novel for the area and that's what made old Eastway great for Charlotte. I'm just not crazy about throwing over roads. The new layout is good but I think it's more Robbins, Kilborne, Scrapyard tier than Hornet's Nest, or Nevin tier.

Been playing The Patriot in Kernersville about once a week here lately and man could it be a great course if some of those open holes had any sort of obstacle other than making the long tees 400+ feet. Reminds me a bit of Zebulon in that regard.

Other than Hole 8's putting green, there definitely wasn't much to write home about when it came to those holes. I do miss the old wooded holes and the elevation the old course had.

The openness was novel for the area and that's what made old Eastway great for Charlotte. I'm just not crazy about throwing over roads. The new layout is good but I think it's more Robbins, Kilborne, Scrapyard tier than Hornet's Nest, or Nevin tier.

I would probably agree with this statement. I'll be interested to see if the new Longs that are being built on Holes 11 & 12 (I think) will affect how I feel about the course though. I know the new longs at Scrapyard helped it out.